Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_157279988

Brand new washer leaving lint on clothes

Robert Simmons
2 years ago

Hi everyone. We just picked up a brand new Samsung top load washing machine. Model # WA50R5200AW/US. It had some pretty good reviews, but we're running into trouble with dark clothes. Anything navy, black, maroon, etc. comes out of the washer with large streaks of white lint. Washing inside out helps, but the lint streaks still make their way onto both sides of the garment.

Some steps we've tried so far:

- Cleaned out the wash basin

- Reduced amount of detergent used

- Tried a vinegar wash without any detergent to eliminate detergent residue as a root cause. No dice

- Ran a dark load with the extra full water setting and extra rinses

The last bullet above helped, but running the washer with the extra water setting and four extra rinse cycles doesn't seem very "energy efficient" considering the unit's high efficiency rating.

Any tips for this issue would be much appreciated. Samsung support hasn't been much help. The best suggestion they had was to make sure the washer was level :).

Comments (26)

• delray33483
    2 years ago

lint only comes from one place and that is the clothes themselves. There is always some residual cloth that comes off the clothes. Otherwise it is from the washer agitation causing the threads to break and then clinging to the clothing. Doesnt matter if it is white or dark - it is just that dark is easier to see.

it may be that occurs until all the threads are gone. What was you old washer ? It may have been a very gentle agitation causing little breakage. The new washer is probably more robust

• dadoes
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What is your detergent dosage now and what was it before the reduction? Liquid or powder? Water conditions?

Insufficient detergent can contribute to lint accumulation if the water isn't "slippery" to help flush it away and to reduce friction on the fabrics.

• Robert Simmons
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Same liquid detergent before/after. Woolite for Darks. We have city provided water which I believe is slightly on the hard side.

I'll try using a bit more detergent in the new washer. From our old front loader I got into the habit of using a small fraction (half way point below the max line) as the clothes weren't getting fully rinsed when more was used.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

What "max line" is your reference? The max fill line of the machine's detergent dispenser, or a marker in the product's bottle cap? If the machine's dispenser, how does the amount correlate to the package dosage instructions? The max marker in a dispenser is not intended to measure product dosage, it's an indicator for how full the dispenser cup can be filled without causing the detergent to run out prematurely.

I haven't used Woolite of any flavor in many years so am not familiar with current offerings. I recall in the 1970s it was a very high sudser .. with suds billowing up in an old-style agitator toploader. Hopefully it has been reformulated to an HE-type product to avoid that problem.

Washers haven't had active lint filters for years. A typical lint control method nowadays is that lint particles are supposed to pass through the basket perfs and get trapped in the outer tub, unable to pass back through onto the clothes and flush away when the water drains. Tumble drying removes remaining lint.

Your new Samsung is an HE impeller toploader. The oscillating impeller imparts a bit more friction to the clothes than the rolling action of a frontloader drum. Linting may ease-off after your clothes wear-in to the different action.

• delray33483
    2 years ago

the idea is to have enough detergent to clean the clothes but not too much so it difficult to rinse out. More detergent doesnt mean cleaner clothes

also - how much lint is in the dryer screen? More than the previous washer? Usually this is where the lint collects, not in the water on clothes.

• krissie55
    2 years ago

Try washing with maximum amount of water, largest load setting and use extra rinse. I use vinegar in the rinse water

• Mark
    2 years ago

I would think that the clothing is being treated harshly by the wash machine itself.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

Try to learn about lint 'givers' and wash your darks separately from those. It might help somewhat. When we switched back to a traditional top load washer we were a bit overwhelmed by the amount of lint vs our front loaders. I also took to washing darks before a load of whites in case residual lint was stuck in the washer. Don't know if that helped, but we have adjusted. Front load washers don't cause as much wear and tear on the fabrics as delray explains above. Top loading machines are by nature harsher to fabrics. For note, we still have a lot of lint but it did get to be less as the fabrics were worn down in time. (our fabrics get worn out sooner with a TL) If it's unsatisfactory, perhaps your retailer would let you exchange your unit.

• Jude
    2 years ago

Have you googled white streaks on clothes? Is it true lint or just the dreaded white streaks of detergent remaining in clothes? i used to wear black pants to work and the number of times I had to use a wet rag to scrub those white stripes off was astounding. I did everything right as to volume of soap and water temp, etc. Firmly convinced it's the washer.

• Robert Simmons
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I tried just basic vinegar washes and ran into the same streaks. Definitely lint. I'm afraid it's the washer not draining fast enough allowing lint to settle on the clothes.

• Louise Smith
    2 years ago

Add Calgon water softener. It stops residue from being redeposited onto the clothes.

Amazon.com: Calgon Liquid Water Softener, Laundry Detergent Booster, 32 Ounce (Pack of 1): Health & Personal Care

• dadoes
    2 years ago

I doubt vinegar (mildly acidic) will do anything to ward-off lint deposits. Are you tumble-drying or hang-drying the items?

• dadoes
    2 years ago

I don't know of any washers any longer that have a mechanism to actively pump water through a lint filter during the washing and rinsing process. Some have a passive process that depends on water currents during agitation carrying lint particles outside the drum and they theoretically stay outside instead of flowing back in onto the clothes, which is of questionable success.

• C S
    last year

Me too! I retired my 25 y/o Maytag workhorse and got a new Maytag with impeller, not agitator. It has no lint filter to clean out, and every load comes out covered in it. I just did a load of hang-dry dark t shirts after a load of light towels, and they’re all unwearable. About to try calling the dealer. WTH?

• PRO
    Willie P's
    11 months ago

I absolutely agree! The samsung is awful. I get lint all over everything!! I can't even roll it off with a lint brush. Worst machine I have ever had. The water level is high, I put in the detergent according to instructions. I have even bought washer lint balls and nothing works. I want to get a new machine but this one isn't even that old and it seems so wasteful. Could not sell knowing how horrible it is.

• HU-366445748
    4 months ago

Did you manage to fix the issue as just purchased a samsung washer and ran into the same problem

• swiss_chard_fanatic
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I had this problem too when I briefly owned a washer with an impeller. It just did not get the clothes clean and the clothes had streaks. I no longer believe in impellers and have owned a washer with an agitator now for years and could not be happier.

• C S
    4 months ago

How my story ended: So I bought an impeller Maytag to replace my old agitator Maytag and changed not one other factor. Same loads, same amount of same detergent, same everything, and got clothes covered in lint, even changing to maximum water level for smaller loads. Different salesman explained that yeah, impeller ones suck, it's all about having to make them energy efficient. Replaced it with a heavy duty GE agitator model, basically a copy of Speed Queen, which still doesn't have a lint filter (Why?) but doesn't have the lint problem. His advice was, never ever buy impeller, and always set the water level manually, because the regulations that they're following with the energy efficiency on the auto-level just make them not work, period.

• dadoes
    4 months ago

Maytag is a different mechanical design than Speed Queen.

Also, Whirlpool bought Maytag in 2006 so anything Maytag since then is a Whirlpool design.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 months ago

I hate hate hate my washing machine with the fierceness of a thousand suns. It’s the “gym clothes,” stretchy, smooth fabrics, and my black jeans that seem to attract the most residue. We probably do 2 loads of dark/color gym clothes a week. I use 2 tablespoons of Woolite and do a “normal” wash setting with cool temp water and an extra rinse. All my whites come out gray unless bleach is used. Towels, jeans, cotton/knits seem to wash better but do get a bit beat up looking much sooner.

• C S
    4 months ago

You’re right Dadoes, it it’s a GE. Correction made.

• luna123456
    4 months ago

Washing in Cool or Cold is a major reason for stained dingy clothes. Wash only in Warm, Very Warm or Hot.

Excessive lint from a washer is due to rough handling of clothing. Miele and Bosch both have patented drum designs that minimize damage to fabrics, with Miele’s being best.

You get what you pay for. Pay for a premium washer and save your clothing or save money on the washer and replace clothing more often.

Two Miele washers in our house with a combined 13K hours of washing and have never had the washer deposit lint on clothes.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    last month

what a good old post for learning something new! thanks to all.

• richardparker
    last month

I am so glad I found this post. Some of these comments are from those who have not experienced this, so they don't understand it. It has nothing to do with vinegar, the kind of soap, the temperature of the water, or even the brand of washer. It is the impeller as opposed to the older agitator washing machines. I am all for energy efficiency, but I now have to use the dryer to get the lint off, so there's no efficiency. I also have to buy tons of sticky lint rollers, which don't work all that well on this type of fine lint streaks on dark clothes. There's no efficiency to throwing this junk in the landfill either. I inherited what seems like a fairly new LG washer and dryer when I bought this condo last year and I will replace the washer because life is too short. I don't care if my two machines don't match. I just hope agitators are still on the market.

• HU-530941323
    last month

My washer does the same !! i gave my old washer that worked fine away because of this ! my new washer is doing the same thing now ! what is the problem ??

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH