Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oneira777

Mountain home land or lake front land - help!!!

BM (pnw Zone 8b)
2 years ago

We have been looking to buy either land to build a cabin in the mountains or a lakefront cottage.

We just found both, but can afford only one. We can afford to only buy land now and will have to build the cabin over the next 3-5 years.

We are unable to make a decision on which is the better option. My spouse likes lakefront, I am leaning toward mountain land. We only have a day to make a decision.

It would be great if you could share your thoughts - pros, cons etc. This is our first vacation property and we are super nervous.

Comments (39)

• maddielee
    2 years ago

If you boat, fish, swim go with the lake.

If you hike, ski(?) go with the mountain.

You have to decide. Good luck.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked maddielee
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

When you say "mountain", do you mean cabin in the woods or an actual mountainous location? Reason I ask is thinking about access, particularly as you age. Mountain homes often are multi-level due to the site dictating what can/can't be built -- will you be able to easily navigate a multi-level house, will the site be too steep for you to safely enjoy the outdoors as your physical abilities diminish, etc? If internet access important to you, is it available in the mountain location? What about drivability/highway access? Think about amount of snow -- if area with a high amount of snow, will you truly utilize the property if all that snow just isn't your thing or you feel unsafe navigating the side of a mountain in bad weather to get to the property?

You may want to think about similar sorts of things with a lakefront property too -- but thinking of being able to fully enjoy a property located in the mountains is probably a big no for me personally because the years are creeping up on me.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

mxk3, the years are slowly creeping up on us too. Thanks for pointing that out and for the other pointers.

The lake front is hands down easier to access. I am taking about an actual mountainous location here. Biggest concern is driving and getting to it safely in winter.

Internet access - we are thinking of signing up for Elon Musk' starlink :) Otherwise, it is a pain for the mountainous place. Easier for the lake front.

The lake property is 0.5 acres with houses on both sides. Spectacular views, north facing, beach, not sunny but nice and you can swim as it is petty shallow by the shore. The other side is south facing, sunny but we cannot afford anything there. Its the rich side.

The lake property is on a high bluff. There is a 70 degree slope/100 ft down through trees/shrubs to get to the beach. Will need to build a massive staircase which is ok for now. Or we will need to put some kind of elevator as we get older and it is not fun to use it anymore.

I am an introvert - I want to read/write/paint in the wilderness. I would rather have acreage with a view. Spouse would like to be on the water, likes to be around people. It is looking like the mountain which I dream about might be less practical.

This is turning out to be a very hard decision.

• mtvhike
    2 years ago

Where is this? We were weighing the same decisions when we were looking for a vacation and future retirement home in the Adirondacks of northern NY. One thing which became immediately clear is that lakefront property is much more expensive than property near the mountains. We were still trying to make the decision when we found a large piece of undeveloped land within walking distance but out of sight of a town, with internet and power available, so we bought and built.

We also discovered that building is more expensive than buying because selling price of existing homes depends on the RE market, while building depends on cost of materials and labor and there is always the "creeping budget" issue!

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked mtvhike
  • BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

mtvhike, this is in central WA near Wenatchee area. For us, it is coming down to finances. This lakefront property is looking very desirable but also like a money pit. I am find it hard to take money out of the stock market to justify parking it in a lakefront land that will take several years to become usable as we don't want to build immediately. Is this FOMO? Are we going to lose out n growth in stock market for 1/4 of our money and end up with a money pit :) This is what is bothering me right now.

However, properties are selling like hot cakes here with eye popping prices. We are afraid we will be priced out of any such property in the future.

Thanks for the insight into building. That was super helpful. I was thinking building ourselves would be cheaper than buying a existing structure! That might be wistful thinking?

• moosemac
    2 years ago

Here's my two cents worth. Back in 1999 we looked at both lake and mountain properties for a vacation home. I really wanted lake front. Purchase prices were similar so that wasn't the issue. We ended up buying a mountain home because the annual carrying costs for the lake front property were significantly more than the mountain home. Property taxes on the lake were 4 times the mountain in the same town. Insurance on the lake was 3.5 times the mountain home. Back in 1999, those two costs alone added an extra $15,000 a year in costs to the lake home. It would have been tight for us. I am very budget conscious.

Fast forward to today, I wish we had purchased the lake front home for several reasons. First is because we now have a grandchild and there is nothing like making lake memories. Second our friends and family were more motivated to visit when we rent lake front. Third while both properties have appreciated in value, the value of the lake front property has grown exponentially. Fourth, it is a PITA packing everything up to go to the lake to use the jets skis and pontoon boat. Lastly because we are on the mountain, the elements take a huge toll on the structures. We get very high winds and significantly more snow on the mountain. You should see the snowplow bill for our 600' driveway! Don't get me wrong I love the views and the privacy of the mountain but I long for the lake which is now out of our reach. I guess the grass is always greener...

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked moosemac
  • maifleur03
    2 years ago

Things to think about with either based on my FIL's lake house but is still relevant to the mountain site. You mention you are slowing down. Both sites sound like they would be steep. Steep means as you age it is less likely that you will be going down the steps to the lake or on the mountain beyond the road to walk on. Any interaction with the lake would probably a drive to a marina where you either store or rent a boat after you give up hauling it to the dock. What doctors and hospitals are close if you would need them for anything from a bad scrape or more serious. More serious in most areas means transportation to a major hospital either by air or ground. What food sources are available in the immediate area or is a once a month or so trip to a larger area needed.

Be aware that there is available insurance to cover an air ambulance which may not be covered by regular insurance.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked maifleur03
  • Candace
    2 years ago

We had a home on a lake (it TX) and sold it to build our dream retirement home in the mountains (CO).... the home burned down last fall in the 2nd largest wildfire in CO history.... Sure do miss that lake house and we’ll never go back to the mountains again (I can only take a wildfire once in my life)...

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked Candace
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

Climate change -- Many waterfront places run a significant risk of flood damage in the next 10 years. You might not care much (I didn't - I bought a lake front cottage last year), but bear it in mind. On the other hand, if you're in or near a forest, fires are an increasing risk too.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • maifleur03
    2 years ago

It would depend on how the lake was formed if there would be a risk of flooding or the lake reducing in size. The latter is more likely if is an impoundment or natural depression.

• BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the very helpful comments. This is giving us a lot of insight into what we may be getting into. Researching many of the questions raised here. The lake is a glacier fed lake around 1.8K feet in elevation. Looking into whether it can flood/shrink.

• functionthenlook
    2 years ago

Both have there pros and cons. A lake front is nice, but houses are usually on top of each other at a lake and that drop off to the lake would be a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't want to lug towels, coolers, etc up and down those steps. But a lake is nice to sit and relax at. They are bustling during the summer. Depending on where you buy some lake towns fold up after the summer, people go home for the season and the lake can become boring.

Mountains are nice too. Yes, you can build a one story home in the mountains. You build across the hill, not up and down. You have privacy and quiet in the mountains. Usually the areas are a mix of local and vacationers so the nearby towns don't fold up in the winter. If you buy property on a township maintained road you will not have that many problems with snow. Otherwise you will. With a mountain home you are usually dealing with well water, septic and a heat source other than natural gas.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked functionthenlook
  • deeinohio
    2 years ago

Years ago, we built a beautiful weekend log cabin with the most fabulous views. Before building, I had read, “Never build a second home where there is nothing to do.” We didn’t listen. We are not hunters or four wheel enthusiasts, so the view was what we had. We now have a lake house, and are so much happier. It feels much more like getting away. And, it doesn’t hurt that our investment has more than doubled since we bought 7 years ago.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked deeinohio
  • BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Functionthenlook, if a team was installed, would you feel that the situation is a bit better? we have the exact same Cobden about the cliff. The stairs would be ok for a person, but logging things is a deal breaker. The real estate agent is proposing an elevator.

• Susan L
    2 years ago

Why do you have to decide so fast if you won’t build for years? This is definitely FOMO. Rent a cabin in both places for a good long vacation and think about it. There will be other lots. After you narrow it down, get some pro advice for lot selection! A local contractor or architect.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked Susan L
  • kathyg_in_mi
    2 years ago

We bought lake front, love it! Retired here in 2006 and no regrets.

Our lot is 108' on the water and 450' deep. Yes we have neighbors, but are not on top of one another. Nothing like a relaxing pontoon boat ride in the evenings! We are not on a cliff, this is an inland lake 7 miles long. We are 1 mile from Lake Huron and beaches. Life is great at the lake!

BM, My sister and her DH are building a home in Montana and have bought the Elon Musk Starlink. The dish was $500. Not sure if that included all the wiring or not. They haven't moved in yet, but she is happy with the speed of the internet. Biggest problem is trees.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • functionthenlook
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

BM A lift like a cable car would be very helpful. I still don't know if I would go for the lake though. That is a hard decision. It depends on how long your summers are. In PA you only get 3 months of good weather for the summer, June, July and August. But lakes are fun in the summer. My family always rented a cabin at one lake or another when I was young and my hubby and i still do for a week. But one time when my kids were young hubby unexpectedly had to work so just the kids and i went up and then booked another week for the week after labor day. It was the next time open. It was not pleasant. The fall chill and rain started so we couldn't enjoy the lake, everyone boarded up and went home for the season and the town had folded up except for a few restaurants. Boring We ended up coming home before the week was out. Then a few years ago hubby and I decided to go to a lake we have never been to before for a 3 day weekend in October when the leaves where changing. Same thing, the town was folded up and the weather miserable. We left after 2 nights.

We did buy a camp last summer (that's locally what we call mountain homes). We spend weekdays at camp and are at home for the weekend. During the summer there are streams and rivers for all the water activities close by and an old timber state park to enjoy. Since it is a mix of locals and non locals the towns don't fold up. The people are really friendly. They have fall and winter festivals, quaint shops, and the local clubs and fire halls usually have something going on. I haven't been bored yet. But the hubby does like to hunt and we both fish once in a while, plus we do have a BIL and SIL that live locally we spend time with. My kids, grands and friends do come up for visits. Plus taking care of two homes keeps me busy. Personally I think I have the best of both worlds. But it all depends on your lifestyle and what you want out of a vacation home. Only you know what is best for you.

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

Why are you rushing this major decision? Where do you enjoy vacationing the most? Have you rented in both of these areas you are considering? Why are you picking locations that require so many steps? Functionthelook has it right-do your research.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked remodeling1840
  • function_first
    2 years ago

I'd vote for the lake home. I wouldn't mind renting a mountain home every now and then, but when I think about owning, having something on the water (lake or ocean) would be my dream 2nd home. I think what moosemac said about it being a place people tend to gather is the big draw for me. Nice that Redfin now shows flood zones, it takes the guess work out out of that part of it.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked function_first
  • kevin9408
    2 years ago

BM, Be very cautious when thinking about buying a lake lot.

Find the state and county regulations related to developing a lake lot in your state and verity it is still a buildable lot. What other home owners did in the past may not be allowed presently and regulation changes could make the lot NON-BUILDABLE.

You mentioned a bluff, 70 degree slope, stairs, trees/shrubs to get to the beach. Regulations for environmental reasons have changed drastically over the years and what can be done. A slope and bluff are completely different and addressed in updated regulations by the state/county to prevent erosion of soils into the lakes. So for example set backs from a bluff may be drastically different than those of a slope, and depends on the slope percentage.

You may not be able to remove and trees and shrubs, build stairs and alter the water front in any manor. Just because a neighbor did in the past doesn't automatically mean you can. In my state of MN a 70% slope is considered a bluff and setbacks start at the edge of the bluff with an additional XX number of feet (forgot the exact distance), this alone could make a lot non buildable if there wasn't enough backset from the road. Also lakes here have one of three classifications with three different requirements of what you can do. Things are different in every state so really do your research here.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked kevin9408
  • mtvhike
    2 years ago

Many people on this thread have recommended renting for awhile (maybe you have already been doing that). We did that for a decade before we purchased. Wanted to make sure we liked being in the area in all seasons. One reason we picked our current location is that we are within one mile of the only hospital in the county! And, except for Covid, all of the few businesses are open year 'round.

• Ciara Stone
    2 years ago

Lakefront 100%
    As someone who visited my grandmother at her lake house, there is nothing more relaxing than sitting on a porch, drinking coffee or tea, while looking out at the water. Great way to start the morning, as well as evening, especially if you have a rocking chair or porch swing. Looking out at the water, there's this profound silence, like the problems/worries/fears/regrets are gone for that bit of time. And during the summer, it's such a treat to go swimming when it's hot out, even laying on a pool float just unwinding and cooling off is fabulous. Bonus points if you have kids or grandkids who will want to go there all the time-especially if there's a steady enough tree very close to the water, which would be perfect for a rope swing. Seriously, as someone who spent every summer for the past 28 years at the lake all day, every day I could, I can speak confidently when I say you won't regret it!

HOWEVER, if by some very small chance you don't like it, you can just sell. People pay serious amounts of money for lake houses and they are bought pretty damn quickly.
    Go with the lake house!

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked Ciara Stone
  • Ciara Stone
    2 years ago

EDIT:how low lying is the land of the lake house? How much rain do you get on average? Is there a dam somewhere on the lake, with spillways in the event of flooding?
    I'm from Alabama, and didn't think about the possibility of flooding since my granny's lakehouse sat on the top of a hill, there's a dam with spillways when the water level rises too high, and while we do get some rain, not anything close to the amount the northwest and Mississippi River valleys and basins do. Check those things out as well. If it could easily flood, don't get it, but if you have checked those things and are in the clear, I'd see if you could have a short-term lease arranged. Most will say yes unless they have other offers.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked Ciara Stone
  • CA Kate z9
    2 years ago

Once upon a once, I sat in on a Town Council meeting and listened for rwo hours to the Lake Folk vs the new regulations meant to keep the septic sewage out of said lake. (The regulations won.) To Kevin's many good points, do check out today's building, sewage, easments, etc. regulations before you buy.

As to the Mountian House: same applies as to rules and regulations. Also, when considering about living in the country/mountains you also might want to think about: fenceline mowing and spraying.... every year; pruning trees and shrubs for fire abatement... every figgen' year; road repair; to just name a few things no one talks about. BTDT

No matter which you choose you need to conside the distance - and difficulty - of getting to a hospital, doctor, dentist, and pharmacy at 2 a.m. And, how long will it take a rescue squad or fire truck to get to you.... time matters!

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked CA Kate z9
  • maifleur03
    2 years ago

Where my FIL had his house all natural vegetation within 40 feet of the high water line was supposed to be left. He left it until his wife died. That was then now even the long time residents who did the same would be the first people to turn him in. The lake in his arm was so bad because of the sewage that most people did not want their dogs to drink out of it.

There are many governmental and even HOAs with separate regulations as to what can and cannot be done so checking with one does not mean you have enough information not to get in trouble, the Corp, DNR, Conservation, County, etc. Reason I mention HOAs is I left the outside light on because that was what my FIL had been doing only to find out that the organization for that strip of about twenty houses had declared it was a fineable offense.

• functionthenlook
    2 years ago

CA Kate, not every state has to go through all that fire abatement. In Western PA we don't do any of those things you mentioned. Our vegetation doesn't dry out enough to easily burn. About all we get is a small brush fires once in a while if there is a very dry stretch. Our biggest problem that causes major destruction in the low areas is too much rain.

If I had to plan my life around available medical care I wouldn't go anywhere.

• moosemac
    2 years ago

BM, The folks here have given you excellent advice. When we were looking, both were existing homes in the same area. Even with that, I read up on the zoning and land use issues to be sure I knew what I was getting into. For example, we cannot cut down any trees over 3" in diameter unless they are incidental to construction. The Land Use Committee does drone surveys every year and look for missing trees and count stumps. There is a per tree fine. On the lake, all existing natural vegetation must be preserved within a 50' buffer of the lake. If a septic system needed repair or replacement, there are stringent but different requirements for lake front vs. mountains. I would be very cautious with purchasing a lot that you are not going to build on in the near future. The status of a lot can change from buildable to non-buildable and even if the lot is buidable there may be significant added restrictions on construction.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked moosemac
  • mtvhike
    2 years ago

When I was looking for land to build on, I found a very nice piece of property, but it hadn't been APA (Adirondack Park Agency) approved. To get approval, I would have had to get a percolation test for the septic system, and passing that test wasn't guaranteed, so I passed on it. When I found the property I did buy, the APA permit and perc test were in place. The previous owners had applied for a 12 parcel building permit and were only granted a 3 parcel permit, so I bought two (one extra for a buffer). I still had to drill a well, build a driveway, run power and cable, and install a septic system as part of the build.

• BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Do y'all have dealt with mosquitoes on lake front property? How do you guys feel about it? It turns out June-July is mosquito season here. It can get pretty intense as this a alpine lake.

• homechef59
    2 years ago

In the age of VRBO I see no compelling reason to sink investment dollars into a second home. I would rather rent something fabulous and shut the door when I'm done. I can go somewhere the next week or year if I am inclined.

My BIL has a lovely lake cabin. The entire extended family and friends use it. It's wonderful. But, I would never spend my money on it. I'd rather rent on the lake.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"Do y'all have dealt with mosquitoes on lake front property?"

Get a screen room -- my cottage has a 10' x 12' screened in room about 3 steps away from the door. That's where my hammock is.

"In the age of VRBO I see no compelling reason to sink investment dollars into a second home."

It depends a lot on how often you use it......I felt exactly like you did for 30 years, but when my sister moved 4 hours away, I bought a lake-front cottage closer to her. Before, I might have wanted to go to a lake front cottage once or twice a summer, but now I go year round every 2 or 3 weeks (since the lake is not the only reason to go).

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the screen room idea.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Even in mountain areas there are mosquitos or even worse biting gnats and various flies including something that is called a deer fly but it does not look like any type of fly I have seen. If you want to spend any time outside mountain or lake you should plan on a screened porch. In that area of Washington yellow jackets will land on the food on your fork at certain times of the year if eating out of doors.

• kevin9408
    2 years ago

Don't forget the Sasquatch hiding out in those Washington mountains. Washington department of transportation cameras captured two different sightings of big foot just last year, just saying.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked kevin9408
  • BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thx mayfleur and Kevin.

The sasquatch adds another dimension to the situation :)

Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful. We are going with the lake land.

• functionthenlook
    2 years ago

BM How exciting! Now you can start planing for you lake cottage.

• eandhl2
    2 years ago

Growing. Up we had a lake front summer house. The constant company was great for kids. I am not sure my parents enjoyed the constant company.

BM (pnw Zone 8b) thanked eandhl2
  • BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Everyone, thank you so much for your advice and sharing your experiences on this topic. It was very helpful. We did end up buying the lake front land. We closed last week and were able to go out and start clearing out a camping spot.