Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audreycurran

Is the price for the cabinets reasonable?***DESIGN HELP

Audrey Curran
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hey there! We are planning our kitchen renovation. You can see current photos from real estate listing below, and new kitchen design in first photos. The kitchen is nearly 300 square feet. The price I've been given for custom cabinets and installation is $68,800. He said $5,100 of that is the installation fee. Does this sound reasonable? My husband is a commercial contractor - but he's BUSY and cannot be a slave to a renovation project - but we also don't want to pay $$$'s more if it would make more sense to do RTA?

Do you see anything in this design that I should change or think through better?

What other costs should I consider - what's the best way to budget everything else that needs to be done? Is there a formula that's "typically" what a kitchen costs just to give us a ball park? We have $120k to work with to start.

Thanks for the input!

**UPDATE - thank you for the feedback so far. We are back to the drawing board. Welcoming all suggestions! :)

Comments (39)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

The first thing I notice is the stove
    I would actually keep it where it is originally. I like it better there. If it is possible to remove the angled wall I’d do that too.
    The area of cabinets with the wall ovens also seems much. Doesn’t look like you need the storage. Do you? I would lessen the bulk there too.
    Pretty design. Love the two islands.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    2 years ago

"Custom" is a totally meaningless term and it's impossible to know whether the price you've been quoted is reasonable or outrageous without knowing anything about the quality/style/features of the cabinets in question.

• Rachel Simanski
    2 years ago

At firs look it seems to be A LOT. I would suggest getting quotes from other people as well then you can make an informed decision.

I agree that the corner cooktop is not ideal. If you only have $120k, I don't know if spending $70k on cabinets will be ideal. You still have a long way to go with only $50k left.

• PRO
    BG Construction
    2 years ago

That’s ballpark for good quality. Just get into the finer details of cabinet construction. That’s where the devil is located. Cabinets are generally 25-50% of the total remodeling budget. The lower % is for those having structural work done, and the higher % is for a relatively new home that doesn’t need electrical or other home system updates. Or is keeping a significant portion of the existing categories, like the floors, or appliances.

Your room is very large. Larger than it needs to be functionally. I’d jettison the double island concept in a heartbeat. It’s adding a huge amount of cost and is not as comfortable or versatile as a table would be.

Audrey Curran thanked BG Construction
  • PRO
    Celadon
    2 years ago

The price is fine. The design is not. Really not. You need an actual Kitchen Designer.

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We talked about removing the angled wall, but seemed to add a lot of cost in doing that. Maybe I'm wrong if it means cutting out the 2nd island...

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Celadon - This was done by a kitchen designer from what I understand? Would love to hear what you hate about it though - I seriously do appreciate all feedback! Thanks :)

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@BG Construction good point on the 2nd island contributing so much of the cost. I think the problem is there is so much space to fill and don't want to feel like there's a big unusable weird space in the middle of the kitchen. Suggestions?

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Rachel Simanski - is the corner cooktop just not ideal for looks or functionality?

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley) The two islands are Tedd Wood's Tidewater collection - which we will not be using and the price will drop to reflect just doing the white cabinets. Not sure which brand was quoted for perimeter cabinets.

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@HU-187528210 we are removing the pantry so I do worry a little about storage. Clearly there is plenty of cabinets/drawers here to make up for the loss of a walk in pantry. But as you can see in the final photo - the pantry is the wall in the center of the home that is coming down.

2 years ago

I agree with @Celadon that the design is really not okay. Range on an angle, double island, too-small sink with too-small prep area on either side, no landing space for fridge, etc. Design looks like it was done by a cabinet salesperson trying to cram in as many expensive cabinets as possible with little thought to function. Based on the photos of the existing kitchen, you can get a much more function layout in the new one even if you choose not to remove the angle.

Post a measured floorplan of the current layout (including adjoining rooms) for help figuring out something better.

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

I don't get why the oven (in the proposal) is right behind the sink. How does someone get something out of the oven without an accident butting up against someone at the sink?

What is the distance between the 2 islands? I personally don't dislike 2 islands, but I'd want 48" aisles, and that's measured from countertop edge to countertop edge (not cabinet to cabinet).

I bet this design was done by the cabinet company---not an independent designer. That is a lot of cabinets in that design.

I like your kitchen the way it is. I like the sink being close to the counter seating and not backed up against the oven.

If I had money to do changes, here's what I would do:

1. Change the peninsula to single-level.

2. I'd love a work-station sink. Big, functional, close to the action.

3. I would consider adding cabinets to the ceiling. You have a high ceiling though!!!

4. Are your cabinets in good shape? Have you considered top-notch painting job on the cabinets you have? Adding drawers to all the lowers? Or even, changing out SOME lower cabinets for new ones with drawers!!

5. New hardware, new faucet to go with your new sink.

6. Your house is full of angled walls. To me, the expense of changing everything in an already-opened-up great room isn't worth it.

7. New counters in a lighter color. My favorite is white corian. But if you're painting the cabinets white, you may want something else.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

Angled cooktop is the worst. You will hate it within one day, especially after having had the superior arrangement of the cooktop where it was previously. Also, is that a range in that corner rather than having a separate cooktop and wall ovens? If so, I advice against that. Most people prefer the separation of cooktop and wall ovens if they have the space for it.

Two islands are a bad idea unless you have a gargantuan kitchen. This is Kitchen Design 101. Since you are concerned about the price for the cabinetry, I’d say it’s not that the cabinets individually are priced high. It’s that the kitchen design is padded with that second island.

I am questioning your KD’s objectives - it’s unusual to have a second huge island - did you request that when discussing what you’d like for your new kitchen, or was it her idea?

And that hood in that size and shape will cost a fortune. What will it be made out of? It will mean moving the hood exhaust ducting - yet another expense.

I think the upper cabinets stack should be a different proportion. Idk what height the bottom row of uppers is in your pic, but the top row looks to be 12” tall cabinets? If that’s the case, I’d change for 18” on top, and reduce the bottom row proportionately. The 12” cabinets are puny and don’t hold much.

Something to think about - you could have the upper row be solid not glass, and have some of the larger bottom row of cabinets be glass-fronted. I am suggesting this because the upper row with glass is just a one-use cabinet to display various objects that you will only barely be able to see by peering up. Then you’ll have to light them - another expense. Conversely, a few of the larger doors of the bottom row of uppers if they are glass-fronted will lighten the space. I am talking about maybe 4 of the cabinet doors. You can keep your dishes and glassware there for easy access. The top row with solid doors can be used to store holiday items, and other things you rarely need, but will still have to store somewhere in the kitchen (especially since you said you’ll be losing the pantry storage space). Behind the solid doors, that stuff won’t look cluttery.

• H202
    2 years ago

Two islands seems ridiculous for a house that looks like a normal suburban house in your photos. I think it would seem cramped and unuseable. Agree it looks like they are trying to throw another $15k of cabinets into your plan to pad their coffers. Also consider that the second island will be another $5000 for countertops.

The corner oven is terrible for the reasons mentioned above, and also because it's really a one-person appliance when it's in the corner. You can't have two people comfortably using the stove at the same time in that design (think one person making dinner and another trying to put the tea pot on - can't happen).

• MaryAliceB
    2 years ago

If you’re gonna stack cabinets, they should go the the actual ceiling. Or don’t stack cabinets. That in between is awkward and expensive without adding anything.

The islands will will need 4 slabs of stone, all by themselves, because they will need seams. That’s 10-15K to start. And the double island concept is just bad.

And that’s it in a nutshell. The concept is just bad for the whole thing. Start over with someone else. Hire an actual Kitchen Designer. Not someone trying to cram the whole spec book into one single kitchen.

Audrey Curran thanked MaryAliceB
  • Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mrs. S Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and give your feedback. That's why I posted - I want input! :)

I see that now (thanks to you) that the oven is a problem behind the sink! Duh.

I don't know what the distance is between the 2 islands (I don't have dimensional drawings...I haven't paid for anything yet.) I do know the sink island is 10' x 4' and the other island is 108" x 37".

Yes, the design was done by a "Kitchen Designer" who sells cabinets.

I've lived in this house for 8 months. The house is BIG - 3600sf on one level. What I do not like about the current kitchen (other than cosmetic) is the tiny prep island that I use allllll the time - but people also congregate around it when I have parties! I wish the peninsula was an island so people could pass through there and a single level. I hate all of the angles all over the house...

Current cabinets are poor/cheap quality. We intend to renovate the entire house. Someone mentioned this being a "typical suburban home" - it's actually not. We're in Naples, FL - 15 minutes from the beach on 3 acres. We have a barn out back, a resort style pool going in now (note rock slide/waterfall/jacuzzi) with large tiki hut ($100k). We entertain a lot - and plan to do even more of it. Yes, the finishes in the home are very standard/cookie cutter - we intend to upgrade everything over the next two years.

We have moved a lot up to this point. We intend to be in this home for at least 10 years while we raise our boys. We are ok with investing in this house and turning it into our dream house. That being said - I especially want to love this kitchen so thank you for the helpful input! :)

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@MaryAliceB - if you were me, would you just do single cabinets? Going all the way to the ceiling seems crazy - the ceilings are 12 foot!

• darbuka
    2 years ago

With 12” ceilings, the stacked cabinets are fine as is, and appropriate. It would be pointless to have cabinets reach a ceiling that high, and would look silly.

• MaryKat
    2 years ago

Considering your kitchen is double the size of mine, I still paid less than that, for better than that. I agree that your cabinet seller is trying to earn the big commissions here.

This is why you should have a kitchen designer who works for you, for design only. Without trying to sell you cabinets. Then get the cabinets priced out, apples to apples, from different sellers.

I’ve done two kitchens snd a powder room with my designer, and we are working on a master bath. I recommend her constantly, because she’s terrific. She does remote design, if you can’t find someone locally who can do design only, without pushing too many cabinets.

Audrey Curran thanked MaryKat
  • MaryAliceB
    2 years ago

Stacked cabinets were originally done in older homes, to maximize storage. Usually in a butlers area, with a library ladder. If you’re going to stack, do that. Or, drop the ceiling level with a coffer or tray detail, and meet that with the cabinet stack.

This is a design proportion issue. If you are not going to take them to the ceilings, there’s just no point to stacking them. It leaves a bare midriff with eyeballs below it that just looks weird with stacked. Tall single cabinets, with space above, are fine if you aren’t going to the ceiling. It’s also less expensive.

The big issue is you‘ve got the fox guarding the henhouse here. The more cabinets they design into the space, the more they earn from your job. So they went to town abusing that. That’s an automatic disqualification here. They are not kitchen designers. They are cabinet sellers. With their hands firmly around your wallet, pulling all they can out. I wouldn’t ever work with someone who did that design. Not even to just buy cabinets. They aren’t trustworthy. They can’t design for anything either. A 1st year intern can do better.

Audrey Curran thanked MaryAliceB
  • M Miller
    2 years ago

I also don’t agree with MaryAliceB’s statement that stacked cabinets must meet the ceiling when the ceiling is as high as yours (I do agree with her if the ceiling were 9’ or 10’). Of course you can have your cabinets meet your 12’ ceiling, typically with taller cabinets than your OP shows, and a whole lot o’ crown molding, and it is a very grand look. All that crown will be *breathtakingly* expensive. Here are some pics of kitchens with 12’ ceilings and stacked cabinets. The first two are of a kitchen where the cabinets do not meet the ceiling.

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@MaryAliceB good point about adding dimension to the ceiling - I forgot we have talked about eventually adding beams or some kind of woodwork/coffer.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

Someone here on these forums coined the term "airplane windows" when referencing that row of tiny glass doors that EVERYONE seemed to want way back when. Ever since then, I've not been able to get that out of my head. And I think you can do stacked cabinets...just don't do the glass doors. And make sure the doors aren't too skinny....thought must go in to the door sizes, balance and function. You need a better KD.

Audrey Curran thanked The Kitchen Place
  • Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

M Miller - thank you for those photos. And yeah, WOW to the cabinets all the way to the ceiling! I might end up in a million dollar house by the time this is all said and done - but I feel like those kitchens are in multi-million dollar homes! ;) I LOVE the cream color of the cabinets in the 3rd photo too....

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Shannon_WI - lots of good points. Thank you!

That is a range in the corner on the design - but it won't be - I'll have an induction cooktop, and a double oven elseware.

I did not request two islands. I did say that I have liked having a separate prep area (the smaller island I have now - but it's too small). He said he ended up doing the double island because the kitchen is so oversized that there would be an awkward amount of space in the middle of the kitchen.........(probably just need to hire an actual kitchen designer for this reason!!).

I haven't chosen a hood yet - but the one shown in the drawing is a $3,000 hood. I'm happy with a wood hood. I like the idea of keeping the oven where it is to save expense....but then what to do with that weird, angled corner. :-\

Good feedback about the small upper cabinets - thank you!

2 years ago

@Audrey Curran, whether it is a range or a cooktop, you don't want it in the corner. Without a floorplan it is hard to tell how much actual space you will have in the center, but judging from your current photos I doubt very seriously you will have "too much" space for one island.

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)I'll upload the floorplan in a bit!! Thank you!

• mle0782
    2 years ago

Since it sounds like you may be starting from scratch again, design-wise, I would urge you to really think about how this kitchen will be used and make a list for your next designer. If you are going to entertain a lot, do you need a column fridge/freezer, wine and beverage fridges, ice maker, second dishwasher or dishwasher drawer in a bar area? How much pantry space do you really need with hungry growing boys? Storage space for outdoor plastic wear in addition to china? Do you need a butlers pantry area to store serving pieces in addition to a bar area with a sink or can you combine both into one and use it as a buffet as well? Lots of options that are likely all in your budget if you design carefully (and probably lose the second island). Good luck!!

Audrey Curran thanked mle0782
  • ZoraAster
    2 years ago

If you will be doing something with the ceiling, think about how that affects everything else in the room. Including cabinet height.

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago
  • H202
    2 years ago

When I said your house was a typical suburban house, it was no insult. I’m in sarasota. Yes, a 3600 sf house with builder finishes in Naples is a typical suburban house and putting two islands in there is ridiculous. My point was that you dont live in a chateau in France..... about the only place two islands would make sense.

2 years ago

@Audrey Curran thanks for posting the floorplan. Do I understand that you plan to remove the angled pantry and all of the walls surrounding it, completely opening up that area? What do you plan to do with that separate bar area? Does that have a pass-through to an outdoor porch or something (i.e. function as an outdoor kitchen)?

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mrs. S @biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)I have a feeling ya'll will like the plan we got from an online cabinet company better than what I posted. We got this plan several months ago. The cabinets are delivered ASSEMBLED - $27,000 total.... I'm starting to think this plan makes a lot more sense. I just want to have a bigger island and wish there was a pass through on the other side of the sink? Thoughts on this plan and tweaks that could/should be made? (Colors have not been decided - most likely all white or cream)

Yes there is a passthrough on the wetbar wall to the lanai where there will eventually be an outdoor kitchen.

• Audrey Curran
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is what it looks like when walking through the front door. We plan on doing a fireplace wall there on the left with built-ins and create a nice living room space. That angled mess of a wall on the right is the pantry - kitchen on the other side. Straight ahead sits a hideous u-shaped bar...that collects a lot of junk - and makes a great coffee station! The window over the bar does open up to the screened-in lanai - we plan to put a built-in kitchen eventually. Down the road we will do some fun stuff to the ceiling. Floors will be covered with LVP.

I'm not necessarily removing the pantry to "open things up" - there's SO much space to work with here (open dining room to the right of entering home - not shown in photo). I just really hate all the angles and how it's just floating there in the middle of the house.

2 years ago

@Audrey Curran I agree with @Fieri that given the number of changes you plan to make to the space and traffic flow, you need more than just a kitchen designer (and WAY more than just a cabinet salesperson). I'll share another idea for the kitchen just to get your creative juices flowing, although obviously the workability of this will depend on all of the other changes you want to make. Rough drawing and rough measurements, obviously, but this would give you a large island with lots of seating, plus a couple of uninterrupted work spaces and NO appliances on weird angles!

• Therese N
    2 years ago

Run, don’t walk away! Whomever you’re working with is terrible at design. I don’t live in your house, but I cannot understand why you need to preserve that bar at all, and your workflow is horrible. Please start over.

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

I agree that plan from an online company isn't any better.

What is your budget for this kitchen remodel? You haven't stated, unless I missed it.

You're not going to get rid of the angles in your home, unless you are looking to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars. At that point, one would seriously consider "moving up" to a different home. And if you ARE in the territory of a major home remodel, then shopping for kitchen cabinets isn't the first thing you need to worry about.

I would like to say, again, that I don't dislike your current kitchen layout. What are the issues FOR YOU, that you would like to see fixed in there? WHY do you want to remodel? If it's just to spiff it up and modernize it, then don't change the layout!

Change the things you need to change (in your kitchen) and save your money for other "spiffing up" that you may like to do for the whole house. A remodeled kitchen in a similarly "dated" (I don't mean "dated" in a negative way--just an unspiffed-up home) home can often make the other areas seem like they don't belong. I mean, if you move the island, you're going to need to re-do the flooring, which means, probably, the whole downstairs needs new flooring; and there goes $40K right there. How about making the staircase and the upstairs look as good as the downstairs? And off you go.

Edited to add that I now see where your concerns are a passthrough on the other side of the sink, and a bigger island. Girl, the pass through will take away cabinets and counter space. Exchanging that for a somewhat bigger island (which you don't have room for), won't get your more cabinets, nor more counter space. You need to learn to LOVE what you HAVE. You have an enormous kitchen. There is nothing magical about an "island" which are hot these days. But you have a peninsula which is awesome, in your space. Just my opinion.