Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newjerseysurf

My living room is a disaster...

No Thanks
2 years ago

i'm thinking this sectional is too big for the space and leaves us with the only option being TV over the fireplace.

our other option is to sell the sectional, buy a sofa and chair and use the corner to the right of the window as the location of the TV.

the only issue with that is then our backs would be to the front door entry way (top left in 1st photo).

thoughts?

thanks!

Comments (14)

• mindshift
    2 years ago

Any sectional would be too big for your living room. The reason is traffic patterns. People move in and out of this room in three places on the stairwell side, and the sectional creates a low wall that limits entry to the seating. I would definitely use a sofa and two chairs. You are stuck with the traffic pattern, but you can create more ways to enter the area with smaller furniture pieces. A rectangular coffee table could provide everyone with a place to set their drinks.

The corner to the left of the fireplace is the best spot for the TV unless you place it in front of the window next to the fireplace. People don't put TVs in front of windows because it used to be a bad idea. You still don't want your TV to be backlit by sunlight as it causes eye strain during daytime viewing, but room darkening shades or blinds will fix this. People also worry about condensation on the window shorting out the TV. Modern windows don't have this problem, and most homes have central HVAC which further reduces excess moisture.

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mindshift i agree with everything you’ve said with one caveat; how would you respond to my main concern about utilizing that corner?

“the only issue with that is then our backs would be to the front door entry way (top left in 1st photo).”

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

bumping thread for more opinions. thanks.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

You could remove the glass French door and wall mount the TV in that corner on an articulated arm. There's more room for TV left of that other end window I think. A drop down mount would allow you to lower it from above the fireplace. In any case, you'll have more flexibility with a 3-seat sofa and two upholstered swivel chairs.

• mindshift
    2 years ago

I will speak more directly—put the TV in front of the window next to the fireplace. That way your seating will face both the TV and the fireplace. Get a sofa and two chairs with a rectangular coffee table that will allow more ways to move in and out of this area. The sectional is a wall that limits movement.

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

A pic showing the @mindshift suggested angle.

The concern of where to put the sofa and chairs prevails. We won’t really be blocking much of a view.

• mindshift
    2 years ago

I did not suggest you put the sofa against the end wall. I said "your seating will face both the TV and the fireplace." You seem to be mixing what I said with decoenthusiaste's suggestion of putting the TV on the wall where the potted plant is now.

• No Thanks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

nope i totally read you @mindshift there just doesn't seem to be a ton of room for a sofa and chair if using the wall to the left of the fireplace. was just trying to brainstorm how that could work.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I would never be happy with TV blocking a window, but that's just me. Take the measurement of your TV's size (or of several you are considering) and do a cardboard cutout to tape up in the different suggested areas to see how it fits and what you think.

• misecretary
    2 years ago

In picture #1 there is a full wooden door on the right side. Where does that opening lead to and could the door be switched so that it opens into the next room, or better yet removed altogether if not needed? Once that is moved, might the TV fit on that wall to the right of the window? Another area that could maybe work, would be the wall on which the stairs are.

Actually, it would be helpful if you could provide the room dimensions, locations of all doors/windows. Looks as if there is another opening beyond on the stairs as well?

I definitely agree that the sectional does not work in that room. Definitely apartment-sized furniture (which is a smaller scale) is needed in this room. PS how many people would be watching TV on a regular basis and is this the only TV room available?

• eld6161
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Unfortunately, there isn’t a good answer. As mentioned above, the sofa is too large for the space.

I had a similar sofa years ago, but it had more than two sections. I was able to remove a section when I moved and it functioned as a regukar sofa.

That said, I would leave it as is. Enjoy the comfort of it, then down the road replace with a sofa and two chairs.

• PRO
    DANE AUSTIN INTERIOR DESIGN Boston & Cambridge
    2 years ago

A couch and two chairs might just work better in this living room. Here are just a few ideas from designs we have done for our clients. Please note the furniture used and layouts.

Alloy Penthouse: Living Room · More Info

Oyster Harbors Estate: Living Room · More Info

• PRO
    Darci Hether New York
    2 years ago

It almost looks as if the sectional is too big for the space. If you have to keep the sectional we think the only other place that you might be able to put the TV would be above the fireplace.

Pied-à-Terre: Family Room · More Info