Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckyjo63

2 Full Beds in a Bedroom

beckyjo63
2 years ago

I would like to fit two full size beds in a bedroom that is 166” x 128”. The closet door is a pocket door. There are two windows in the corner of the room. (See picture, ignore the furniture) Should I not fight the battle and just do two twin beds? I would like full beds just for the fact that if company comes to stay there is bigger beds to sleep in. Looking for some interior advise. Thank you in advance.

Comments (28)

• Ilove MyLife
    2 years ago

You need to draw out the room on paper, to scale, and make some twin beds and full size beds on paper. Play around with the layout.

• partim
    2 years ago

It depends on where the door and the closet are located in the room. Can't tell from your picture, need a sketch of the room with the measurements.

Another alternative is one full and one twin.

• beckyjo63
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is what I have been playing with for options. I really would like full beds so that when company comes I can get more people in. It’s a 3 bedroom condo that is our vacation home. I just don’t want it to be too cozy with full beds.

• beckyjo63
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also, in my original post I said a pocket door and this does not have a pocket door. This room will be for our twin (boy & girl) grand children too.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

Have you considered bunk beds? There will be more floor space, room for a dresser and each person will have a bed of their own.

• beckyjo63
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No, I’m not really sure my adult friends would want to climb up on a bunk bed.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    2 years ago

How often will the grandkids come to stay with you? If it's not very often, I'd suggest getting a twin daybed with a trundle bed underneath, then style the daybed as a sofa. That will leave you plenty of space in that room for a desk/storage.

Garden Terrace, Cambridge · More Info

Or, do one full-sized bed with a trundle, like this:

Lincoln Park Home · More Info

• partim
    2 years ago

Replace the bifold closet door with a curtain, or remove the door altogether as many upscale hotels are doing.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Twin or twin extra-long beds will be fine. Most kids do not want to share their beds, so there's not much point in getting double beds.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

I wouldn't worry about a twin bed not being large enough for an adult though. In terms of width, at least. A king bed (76″ x 80″) is narrower than the width of two twin beds (38″ x 75″). Perhaps consider 2 XL twins (38″ x 80″)?

• Babs Fla
    2 years ago

I too want more room in my beach house. I'm opting for 2 sets of bunkbeds with double beds on the bottom and twin XL on the top from Maxtrixkids.com. They will have a window between them. I've got tall ceilings and can get them so it's not tight on the bottom bunks. Plenty of options and think we'll be very happy (when this renovation finally gets done). Also doing a murphy bed in the office. I love having family with us and will put them up anywhere I can!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    2 years ago

• beckyjo63
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If I go with the two full size beds in the room. Should I just do headboards or headboards and footboards? I’m thinking maybe without footboards it won’t look as packed in there. I’m leaning towards this bed.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

From the floor plans you posted I just don't think there will be enough room for two full sized beds. I would go with one of the suggestions already posted - twin beds, bunk beds, bed with a trundle. I don't think anyone has suggested a Murphy bed so far - so I will. You could have one bed permanently in place and install a Murphy bed that can be folded up into the wall to provide more space during non-sleeping hours.

• suedonim75
    2 years ago

A full size bed isn't really big enough for 2 adults. I'd do 2 twins with trundles that pop up to make it a King. You could have 2 Adults sleep on one as a King, and 2 kids could sleep on the other as twin beds.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I don’t think the op is thinking there will be 2 adults in each bed on a regular basis. In my space it’s usually one adult in each bed. My college age daughter and a friend will use the room, or I have hosted a few girl’s weekends and 2 adult women(who are good friends) share the room. I think adults just like a bit more room than a twin if you can swing it.

• suedonim75
    2 years ago

@Annette Holbrook(z7a)- my comment was based on this comment from the OP.

I really would like full beds so that when company comes I can get more people in.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    2 years ago

Oops, I see that now. In that case I guess it will matter who is using the space. My daughter and friends have doubled up in that space on a few occasions, however I don’t see 2 couples being comfortable doing that.

• User
    2 years ago

The classic italian “matrimonio” is actually 2 full beds pushed together, usually made up as one bed but which can be separated. Does that work for you? Meaning, keep the two full beds pushed together most of the time, with the top bedding one big bed, but separate them as needed? Not everyone will need them separated it sounds like.

• acm
    2 years ago

In case other comments weren't clear, your arrangement with two double beds won't work -- you haven't actually left space to walk in front of the closet. I'd either do a twin-over-double bunk bed in the lower-right corner (leaving the window for some reading space and allowing room for a dresser or play table or whatever fits their age), or stick with twins and make one of them a trundle-conversion for guests. You don't want to feel crowded 95% of the time so that you can have some feature that's rarely used.

• partim
    2 years ago

We often fill the house up at the holidays. Most of our beds have a single size Ikea foam mattress pushed underneath. They're slightly smaller so they fit under. Perfect for extra guests. I've slept on one myself (just the mattress on the floor) many times and they're comfortable. Definitely more comfortable than sharing a double. Less expensive than a trundle and extremely flexible.

• lyfia
    2 years ago

I would do Twin XL beds. They can be pushed together to form a King size bed or they can be slept in separately. A full size bed would only be comfortable for short people as it is 5" shorter than a Twin XL, Queen, or King.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I would just do very simple headboards. No foot boards. Keep things as open as you can. I love ital movers suggestion. If you get frames with big rollers you can move the beds fairly easily. The room is too small for much else. We have a inflatable queen for guests that sits at regular bed height. It’s our daughter’s favorite bed. It collapses into a duffle bag and we put in closet or in our stirring unit until we need it. Only about once a year these days.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

“Storage” unit. We do have queen bed in our actual guest bedroom with antique metal headboard and full pillows to use if needed against it for sitting up and reading. I love the idea of Murphy beds but I can’t get past the cost.

• Ilove MyLife
    2 years ago

Keep in mind that guests will have suitcases and need a place to open them and maybe bedside tables big enough to store clothes in. I don't leave my toothbrush in a bathroom, so they need room to place toiletries and things like that.

My experience is that no more than two adults ever share a room, except maybe parents and older teens or young 20-somethings, when there is NO other option. Once people start to snore, only their life partner is willing to put up with that noise. Two adults (a couple) need a QUEEN size bed or two XL twins, together or with a table between them or separated. Two adults (friends) need two XL twin beds.

I like the idea for one queen or two twin beds with the IKEA mattresses stored under. I love sleeping on a mattress on the floor because there is great support. And it can go back under the bed for more walking and dressing room during the day.

• homechef59
    2 years ago

I use the inflatable beds that come with a little electric motor that fills them up for extra guest accommodations. They are extremely portable. This would give you a lot of flexibility at a reasonable cost, too. You can use them either in the guest room or in the living room, dining room or porch.

• lyfia
    2 years ago

@User - those looks like twin beds pushed together or the dimensions for a full bed there is very different. It's possible those are the 110-120cm wide beds pushed together vs. the smaller 90cm wide ones. A US full size is 137cm wide. I agree though that most of Europe pushes two beds together to make the equivalent of a US King or Queen bed.