Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aikolaurence

Design Recommendations for Tall Ceilings & Wood Stove

aikolaurence
2 years ago

Hi,

We're about to close on the purchase of a new home. Below are pictures from the current owner.

I'm really not a fan of the current style and find this room to be bland and highly impersonal.

Would love any suggestions on how to make this living room cozier.

And any ideas on that wood stove? I find the back tiling to be so awkwardly tall and disproportionate....!

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• Felix Pradas
    2 years ago

Hi, the room is a nightmare right now. It looks like a furniture showroom. First thing, do not place pictures as presently.
    Moving forward, arrange your furniture to focus on the wood stove. Install two tall cabinet units on either side on the stone wall and the tv inside one of the units or move the tv to a den. Consider also removing the stone wall altogether. Use a carpet to tie together the furniture in front of the wood stove. Hang some carpets or quilts with simple strong graphics over the balcony rail or hanging high on the wall behind the wood stove. Avoid filling the space with small nick nacks. Cheers!

• jck910
    2 years ago

It's bland and impersonal so buyers can see their own furnishings in it. Are you bringing furniture from another home or buying new? A rug warms a room up. Make sure it is large enough for the space not all those things like current owners. Do not choose paint colors until all textiles are in the space.

• lkloes
    2 years ago

Usually I’m not a fan of sectionals because they often look squeezed in but, in this case, a sectional would fill your space nicely. I’d also get a large square coffee table and a BIG rug and use the fireplace as a focal point rather than having small pieces of furniture dotted around the edges of the room. Bring the eye downward by hanging nothing too high, especially above doorway height (yikes). A console table behind the sectional with some tall lamps, art, etc. would help fill the cavernous volume of the room. Enjoy your new place!

• Carol Lee
    2 years ago

Paint the wall a dark grey to blend in with the the stone. You could probably place a tv to the left of the stone. Long-term, I would replace the wood stove with a fireplace that would be a real focal point for the room.

• victoria1945
    2 years ago

How fun! It’s a wide open space with little random seating areas. I’d place a wall mounted tv on the smaller wall under the loft overhang. Paint both the wood stove and the tile it stands on black. A large area rug is needed. Maybe go with a sofa and a few 360 swivel chairs.

• Susan Murin
    2 years ago

Wow- such potential here! I wouldn’t paint the whole wall dark gray, but would put in high wainscoting running across that wall and paint that dark gray. That will ground things more and keep the stone from feeling so disproportionate within the space. Put the TV on whichever side of stove works better. Concur with centering a seating area on that wall and a substantial sectional would be great because it matches scale of room. The peach paint needs to go. Best of luck on your project!

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

Nice room.

That rock strip is likely required by code, to insulate the wall from the hot pipe.

I would not recommend painting a wood stove. You can't just paint something hot like a stove and not expect something to go VERY VERY wrong. Maybe it could be done professionally, but I certainly wouldn't start there.

However, first things first: find out if that stove is to current code as far as emissions, etc. If not, this would be your chance to get a different color. Vermont Castings has some in different colors.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    2 years ago

I think something like this, and confirming and working with them if the stone is needed. they show several against walls and windows, and since your flue is already going through the ceiling seems like a nice fit. A warmer color for the walls, but also will you be using existing furniture or going with all new furniture?

https://www.bordelet.com/en/discover-jc-bordelet/a-product/modern-wood-burning-stoves/

• olmama
    2 years ago

Maybe adding some shallow wood built ins on one or both sides of the stone section would make it feel less tall and break up the expanse of wall. It would also give some cohesive storage for wood and maybe a better place for a television. Definitely don’t use the previous owners furniture arrangement. One focal point in that room is plenty.