Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saraheesmith

Layout problems!

saraheesmith
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am open to ideas to help me love my home again given the current space or with minimal changes, design choices, or functional furniture. I am also open to ideas that spend more money to change/renovate it. This community helped me update my kitchen four years ago (https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4408120/10k-kitchen-update - scroll down for finished kitchen) and I loved it! This house was perfect for my husband and me. Small and cozy, but it worked. Fast forward four years and we've added one to our family! That baby is now almost one and we are feeling a little cramped. The lower mortgage is great though and the area has gotten really expensive, so moving and keeping the good locaiton isn't really an option.

I am struggling with a few things:

The eating area. My son is in a highchair and we feel cramped at dinner time. We also use the back entrace 100% of the time, so you walk right into the dining area. Things end up on the table and coats end up on the chairs. I am craving a space to put the diaper bag and shoes, coats, etc. (we are currently using the office). The front closet above the utility area (basement steps) is for coats but feels so out of the way. I've considered replacing the kitchen island and round table with a long skinny dining table that would give us more space and open up the corner with two windows for a coat/bag area. But I would lose my much needed island drawers and counter space. Another thought is to turn the office into a dining room and use the small closet there for a pantry. This would mean relocating the office to the basement which is partially finished but old. How is the flow of a dining room in the current office space? It is a walk thru to our "hallway", bath and bedrooms which is awkward in and of itself.

So many doors! There are two doors in the small office space because it is a walk thru. There is an opening and a door in the living room. The door to the basement opens up right in the middle of our kitchen. The master bedroom door, nursery door and hall closet door are all jammed together. Its just alot of doors in such a small house! We've considered closing off the door from the kitchen to the office area permently and having to walk through the living room to get to the hallway but feel like that may be awkward. And it doesn't give us much in terms of kitchen wall space becuase of the living room opening being right there. We've considered closing off the living room door to the hallway and only using the office walk thru to get to the bath and bedrooms, but find that kind of awkward as well. What would you do? Also... what was anyone thinking with this design?!

Only one bath and sharing a wall with our little one is a bit much. I belive, the only option for this is renovation. If you had about $80-$100k to do something with this layout, what would you do? We've consider an addition with a master bedroom out the back and expanding the kitchen/dining area into the current office and opening it to the living room. It wouldn't solve everything but would cost less to finish the basement with a second living room, full bath, and guest bedroom. Our laundry is down there but we don't currently use the basement for living space. It is the size of our house. If we spend a big chunk of money, our biggest wants are:

Area for coats, shoes and bags inside the back door

Designated dining room/larger eating area

Bigger Kitchen with more cabinet space and counter space

Master bedroom with full bath

Laundry upstairs

I've attached a rendering I did on floorplanner of our current house layout. I've also included a mock up of an addition and kitchen reno. The addition WITHOUT kitchen demo came in around $80k, so the full reno idea is a little far fetched. I am SO open to any and all ideas. Thank you in advance!

*Note: There are outside basement steps to the right of the back entrace door. That is as far as the addition can go without hitting the step area.

Storage = laundry room

Comments (11)

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bumping because I changed the posting location.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@3onthetree wow! You are so right. Such good perspective. I don’t think I realized before, but you helped me see why I have such hesitation behind not moving forward with an addition. For the energy and money, we still wouldn’t have everything we wanted.

With the info that you do have, do you think it is worth meeting with an architect or inferior designer? Do you think there is a solution to the bad layout. I suppose even going up would be an option but I assume much more costly.

I’m just not sure where to go from here.

• HO-UZZ812
    2 years ago

Sell and buy something g else.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@HO-UZZ812 Is that really the only/best option? Unless we win the lottery, we have to make due with what we have or could have at this location.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

"inferior designer"

Had a good chuckle on that typo. Once had a boss who always used the term "interior desecraters." No offense Houzzers, don't shoot the messenger!

As far as the next step, an architect would be a good. There seems to be some design elements, like the main entry, the Living layout inefficiency, whatever that utility room is, limits/opportunities for size of addition, and connection to outdoor living that should be addressed simultaneously with the as-built conditions that may be beneficial to your hitlist of desires.

saraheesmith thanked 3onthetree
  • saraheesmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@3onthetree oh my!! Whoops! That’s too funny. Yes, those limitations trip me up every time I try to lay it out. But I’m no where close to an expert and keep thinking someone else may have the magic idea.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

The first thing I would do is get an appraisal for what your home, as is, would sell for. Add the $80-100k that you are willing to spend on this house & look to see what you can buy for that combined amount. Cause it may very well make more $ense to trade up vs adding on plus a kitchen remodel.

saraheesmith thanked ci_lantro
  • HO-UZZ812
    2 years ago

80-100K won’t even begin to touch a project like you *want*. Double that, and it wouldn’t be enough. Love where you live, get a 4x budget to remake it, or move. Thems your choices.

saraheesmith thanked HO-UZZ812
  • saraheesmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@ci_lantro very good point! The shortage of houses doesn’t help. The lowest listed house right now in our area is $899k and there are maybe only 5 for sale. In this climate, maybe we sit tight a bit and make the best of it until (hopefully) this crazy housing market settles a bit.

We found a house we liked for $350k pre pandemic but it was going to be too much of a stretch so we said no. And now our house is probably worth almost that! So it’s wild. Like everywhere I presume.

• saraheesmith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I took another stab at a new layout based on suggestions here (adding a 4th bed/office @3onthetree and not touching the kitchen) if anyone is interested in weighing in.... https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6127420/which-layout-remodel-option-is-best