Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emparkhurst

Lighting for dark cedar ceiling in living room

EM Parkhurst
2 years ago

Hello, I just purchased a house with dark cedar wood plank ceilings that won't be painted, contractor can't guarantee that bleeding won't occur. The ceilings are low with wood beams across the ceiling. We are thinking of putting 9 bronze gimball recessed lights throughout the ceiling, this way we can direct the lighting were we want, such as on the walls, etc. After reading many of the posts on this site, I'm thinking of using wall sconces however we don't have white ceilings to bounce the light off of.

1. Should we use recessed lights? If so is 9 too many? Room size is approx 18' x 15' (this is a guess, haven't measured it yet)
  2. Will using wall sconces work effectively since we don't have white ceilings?

Attached is a photo to give an idea of what I'm working with, the fan lamp has been removed, I'm planning on replacing with a flush mount lighting fixture. Unfortunately this is only about 3/4 of the room emphasizing the brighter side, I don't have a photo of the entire room with ceiling.

Comment (1)