Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anggreco

Want to change the look of the house.

anggreco
2 years ago

I need to keep he tile roof. So paint and details are needed but having trouble settling on a color. Ether keep the idea of red brick and 2 different colors or paint the brick to make it more Mediterranean. Would love a more modern Tuscan/Mediterranean feel and landscaping.

Suggestions?

Inspirations:

Comments (18)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I like the garage door inspiration picture.

I don’t like, though, the idea of different paint colors, especially if you keep the brick natural. As is, the house looks choppy with white garage doors, red brick, brownish roof, teeny tiny deep blue shutters, deep blue siding, and white (?) siding and trim.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Your house isnt tuscan, or Mediterranean looking, so nothing you will do will make it look like that, except for an extreme very expensive remodel. What you have is a very nice looking house. I actually like your brick, and I like the blue. What I dont like is the big white look around the windows, and other area, and the white garage doors. The white areas should be blue like the house, except for garage doors. I do like the wood garage doors in your inspiration picture. Dont fight the house and try to force it to be something it isnt. Respect it for what it is, and then make it look the best it can for that type of house. I cant see what your front door looks like, but, it should be wood too, if you decide to go for the wood garage doors.

• houssaon
    2 years ago

Good looking house!

I would remove the shutters. The windows are not right for them.

These greens work well with brick:

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Agree that I don’t see much Tuscan.
    I like the green idea.
    But I also think that for this house the less colors the better. Keep it as simple as possibly. I would therefore whitewash the brick and paint the siding white to match. Love the door option.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Pale sage green, lighter than below, would harmonize with your proposed wood garage door. Trim paint should be a light taupe/beige pulled from brick color. To take the focus off the garage, which occupies so much of the house, plan in-depth landscaping on the right with some green and reddish plantings.

Home exteriors · More Info

Traditional Front Landscape - Germantown, WI · More Info

• anggreco
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for your comments.

I know the house is a ranch and calls out for greens/grey's and blues but I do love me a Tuscan getaway!
    Being in Southern California between ocean and on rhe foothills of mountains, it can be mountain retreat, beach getaway, or spanish influenced, all with a modern twist.
    We purchased 4 yrs ago and are ready to paint and landscape. Should be fun!
    Thank you!

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Would not paint the brick but if you truly hate it and want your exterior a different color, you might consider staining it instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLJ3PRFkvE

• housegal200
    2 years ago

I don't know how you get Tuscan out of an American ranch but we don't have enough photos or information about the surroundings that might lend itself to what you think you can turn it into. Here's a different color scheme than what's been suggested--ivory that brings out warmth of the brick and red roof.. Maybe with the wood garage doors you could get the feeling you want w/o a remuddle. It's really hard to see, though, since your rooflines and all the basics of your house aren't in the least Tuscan.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Since you're determined to do this, I'd go for a warm Tuscan tan to yellow stucco look over the brick. Beef up your eaves with rafter tails or corbels in a dark wood color to match the garage door. Use Tuscan style lantern lights. Personally, I'd rather use the money for a trip to Tuscany. Do you follow Kylie Flavell on YouTube? She'll give you a Tuscan fix and will soon have her own little rental cottage ready for guests.

Tuscan Style Custom Architectural Driveway Gate · More Info

Beverly Hills Matching Gates · More Info

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

I generally love brick homes and own a brick home, but something feels off with the brick in the front of your home, like it was added as an after thought and couldn't be placed around the window, so it feels a bit hap-hazard.

First choice for me would be to remove the brick and have the entire lower area of the home stucco. Keep it all a light neutral color - could just match the current color around the window and the rest of the front of the home.

Remover the shutters, paint the siding the same light neutral.

Add the wood garage doors and a matching wood front door.

If you can't afford to remove the brick replaced with stucco then I would paint it to match the stucco.

Once you are done with the painting you could look at having a stamped concrete overlay that looks like stone on the driveway and walkway up to the house.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

This is one of those "Love the one you're with" houses, i.e. learn about the house you actually bought and enhance its best features instead of trying to turn it into something it isn't. I don't get that.

• User
    2 years ago

Definitely go with unpainted wood garage doors, and put something like this over the garage doors, but also unpainted, and grow bougainvilleas or any Mediterranean or Mexican climbing flower/vines all over it.

Clopay Garage Doors · More Info

Clopay Garage Doors · More Info

Paint the roof line trim of your house the same color as your roof. Get copper gutters/downspouts if can afford them.

Take away your shutters and replace them with actual functional shutters. Again, unpainted wood is fine. Even more fun is dark green metal security shutters, but you probabably can’t find them. Stick with nice wood, kind of rustic

SC 3 · More Info

Paint the white parts of your house a warm baked-cookie color or something like mustard, but a very down-hue stoneware mustard, not bright. I think I might stick with gray for the rest of it.

Definitely go for a few more terracotta pots in front of your house — plant an olive tree or a citrus or two in some of them if your climate can handle it. Put a small stone bench among them. Then just plenty of pretty flowers, straggly and tall, like daisies and cosmos, not fancy cultivars. Throw in masses of herbs like rosemary and oregano.

AGRITURISMO CASALE COLLE MURA · More Info

The real challenge is the lawn. (Let it die!). Think about ripping out one patch of it in front of the big clipped round hedge and plant close together some vertical evergreens — like cypress — in front of thehedge, on the right side of it Just a few — maybe 3 to 5 — maybe slightly different heights...

Craving Tuscany · More Info

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

Some option with colors

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Article about Italianate style. OP's house doesn't have any of the features. Celery's visualization is probably the closest to the result she'll get. It's fine, but color and landscaping are the only way to go in Tuscan direction:

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/what-is-italianate-36913965

• User
    2 years ago

Houses in Tuscany are about one million miles from Italianate style. Italy is a lot like the United States, in that if someone said ”I want a Florida or Hollywood home”, giving them a picture of an American colonial house to go by, or a Colorado ranch or San Francisco Victorian is steering them wrong. Italy has a huge amount of variety — buy a house in Napoli and it will not look anything remotely like one you might buy in Verona or Venice.

What is striking about houses in Tuscany is how plain and undecorated most of them are once you move 20 miles beyond Florence. Most Americans, when they think and talk about “Tuscany”, are not referring to Renaissance Florence (the capitol of Tuscany), but the famously beautiful wine-growing area 2 hours south of there with plain gray stone, wood and clay farmhouses and a few castles. That is “under the Tuscan sun.”

If the California house that the original poster is trying lend the feeling of “Tuscany“ to had a flattened roof, it really wouldn’t be such a stretch to use the brick, the shady secluded porch, the heavy volume of the rest of the house as the basis for a Tuscan-like farmhouse If you used the right colors and plantings outside.

Casale Toscano · More Info

Italianate is a mainly Victorian style Imitated in America and some other places based on a mishmash of architectural frou-frou popular in northern Italy.

• suezbell
    2 years ago

You have a nice looking home and yard as it is currently designed. Depending upon the location, you may genuinely need that slope to the roof on the gable ends for shedding snow/ice/rain.

If you truly want Tuscan that much, you might start looking for another home that is styled the way you want -- even if that is only to see what is available and at what cost. How active your search would depend upon your situation.

As to changing what you have to be more Tuscan:

When you replace the roof, you might consider a different material -- something other than shingles. You could both modernize the house to go solar and "go Tuscan" at the same time. (No personal knowledge of the effectiveness or durability of this so do some research first.).

https://inhabitat.com/teslas-groundbreaking-solar-roof-just-hit-the-market/tesla-solar-roof-tuscan-close/

In the meantime, think colors. What paint color(s) most say "Tuscan " to you? Would not paint the brick but painting the already painted surfaces -- exterior and trim -- those colors that mean Tuscan to you could be a step in the right direction. To me, that would be to keep any/all brick and/or stone and use brown paint for any/all painted surfaces, excluding gutter downspouts that should be painted to visually disappear to the extent possible.

https://onekindesign.com/2018/10/02/tuscan-style-home-texas/

If your budget is not an issue and you are determined to create a more Tuscan look where you now live, you might consider creating a pair of towers with less slope on their roof on each side of the house -- and, by changing the gable ends, you could add a pair of upstairs rooms as well. Personally think that would be a waste of money and would opt to move rather than doing that if the objective is to live in a home with a true Tuscan vibe.

• User
    2 years ago

Suggest you don’t paint the brick. Not only will it diminish the resale of your house, the natural earth element is one of the few things about your house that makes it even plausible you can blend in Italian Chianti-country elements and make it work with the architectural basics of what you’ve got.

• User
    2 years ago

If it wouldn’t be wildly out of step with the neighborhood, Ithink it would be interesting to go with your choice of wood garage doors, but make the smallest of them glass like this

Mediterranean Patio · More Info

Group container pots at the left glass of the glass one, with nice tall-ish plants and palms in them.

Below the peak of your garage roof, wedge in a fat hewn beam, all across it, and use that as a brace to support a ladder-like horizontal pergola across the top of the garage doors, suspended from a very thick link chain. Suspend the ends of the ladder-pergola with chain as well, hung from the soffit.

Reclaimed Barn Wood Sliding Shutters in a Rustic Tuscan Style · More Info

.... introduce this color to the secluded porch and house window areas (but more muted ”mud”)

2004 : Tuscan Stables, Ranch At The Canyons, Terrebonne, Oregon · More Info

maybe lighten up the gray on your house to something closer to a lighter gravel color

;)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions