Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_350732885

Challenging, odd nook in wall- ideas?!

Linda
2 years ago

Asymmetric, triangular, very tall nook in the wall of open layout condo. Not sure what it was initially intended for but could use some ideas for what to do with this space. I’ve considered painting the inside and /or putting some shelves in .. or hooks for coats/etc but.. still not quite sure. Would consider making it an odd shaped closet if it weren’t so tall! (Guess i still could as one option, though)
Hoping to be able to come up with a fun unique thing to do with it though, so would love to know WWHD(what would houzz do?!)

Pics are from when place was staged previously so pay no attention to design of the place :)

Thanks!!

Comments (19)

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Someone spent a lot of money to finish an empty spot where walls meet. Traditionally this would be inside a wall never to be seen or known the opps in design happened. I would go for coat hooks. Maybe a small bench where you can store outside gear.

• Donald
    2 years ago

While mine aren’t irregularly shaped, the one is quite narrow, I painted it dark and had shelves built. It’s not the most ideal outcome, but it seemed to be the best way to deal with what was there and make it look intentional and now has the benefit of being useful as well.

• teamaltese
    2 years ago

Drywall it over. It’s too narrow and shallow to be useful. Do you really want coats hanging there in full view, like a mud room?

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

I love it! Something different. I'd add glass shelves and lighting and orchids! Or different house plants. You could have a door made for it I suppose, but I wouldn't :)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    2 years ago

It is going to be a continual headache. I suggest drywalling it in.

• NancyD
    2 years ago

Since you mentioned a closet, how about extending the wall (which starts at the front door and goes up to the ceiling) to just beyond your niche. I’m guessing at measurements, but then you’d have, say, a 6’ long wall in which to place a closet, using a traditional height and width closet door. Yes, the space inside would be limited, but it could accommodate hooks or shelves that would be practical but not unsightly.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I think drywall over it unless there is a way to do what Nancy mentioned.

• Maureen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My vote is to dry wall as well. It’s distracting and shelves will look odd with the slanting of the walls. Make it more welcoming and useful.

Create the feeling of an entrance and then add complementary pieces for the room’s needs.

Or if you need coat storage

You could also just decorate as one long wall. Consider your needs and complement what’s going on in room.

There are lots of Ideas on Houzz and Pinterest for long wall options.

• Donna Butler
    2 years ago

Personally, I love it! It’s quirky. Since it’s an odd shape inside, I’d have someone who has the ”know-how” build shelves in the proper shape to fit the space making them even, of course, on the front. You could enclose several shelves at the bottom with doors to use as storage. The shelf above the enclosure could hold a basket(s) for your mail, keys, etc. If there’s an outlet there, it could even become a charging station for your small electronics behind the enclosed area. The top shelves could be wood or glass — I like the glass idea, but that may be harder, more expensive, to cut at that odd angle. A great place to display photos, plants, small collectibles and trinkets! You could even back the area with a colorful wallpaper of your choosing. So many possibilities. As for the suggestions to wall it up, I’d never even consider that. It’s prime real estate in my book!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    2 years ago

Always start with inspiration photos or if your room is complete, with photos of that.

What is this room set up as currently? Photos of room with your furniture in it please.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

A talented carpenter could make shelving fit for the lower half (up to 36” from floor). Use for books below and a narrow sculpture or vase with tall flowers on the top shelf.

• Jeanne Cardwell
    2 years ago

Coat closet with hooks, shelf above. Carpenter will have to frame out door and Sheetrock above. Great place for coats, sweaters, purses, shoes and recycled grocery bags.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Roomba below, glass shelves above. Add electrical outlet and lighting.

• Wildcat Blue
    2 years ago

What about using a pedestal there with a sculpture on it? Or maybe place a large urn there? I would use a down light to highlight whatever you put there. I think the light would help make it look more intentional. Good luck!

• PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
    2 years ago

It might be a good nook for a tall art sculpture. Here are just a few ideas of what might work in that nook.

MacDougal Manor · More Info

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Simply High Line · More Info

• felizlady
    2 years ago

Another thought from me: I rather like the plant-in-nook idea, but a living plant will need some natural light to meet its needs. The nook could become a coat closet with the addition of a door. The door could be in the form of a bookcase which swings out to reveal a small closet.

• NancyD
    2 years ago

Amazing! Really looks tremendous.

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

Wow! That looks fab :)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz