Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_alameida

Thoughts on updating exterior 70s home with paint.

Jeffrey Alameida
2 years ago

Mid 70s home would like to upgrade exterior colors. Windows are wood trim, and will keep that way. Grey shingle roof. Colors are too boring and old looking. Don't really like how trim is hilighted at Gable ends.

Like contemporary lighter colors as well as greene and green styles. Home is in Rocky Mountains, lots of light. The entrance is west facing.

Suggestions appreciated working from two perspectives.

1. Keep yellow brick the same and change all wood colors.

2. Paint everything.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (35)

• PRO
    Eco Method Interiors
    2 years ago

If you like green I think that yo should definitely go with that! Maybe like a gray green and white or something?

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

I would keep the brick, Paint the siding/trim white, or very light gray. Pop the entrance door with Royal Blue and change out all four light fixtures to Up and Down light with solid center, NO GLARE at eye level.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Pale gray since you have acres of gray driveway. Get rid of the decorative paint trim. Focus on fantastic landscaping on the left to pull the eye away from so much garage.

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Keep the brick as is. A light shade of green sage paint for the siding would be my choice since you have acres of green lawn, and the color I’d want to extend and build on. I’m not sure i would emphasize the detailing as much as the current look is.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Where the decorative painting is around those two windows, looks like it could have had at one time, a really big window in that room? Lv rm? I would remove those smaller windows, and have a larger window put back in that spot. What color is your roof? It is hard to tell in the picture. I do like the color of your brick.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

...or is that two bedrooms in front? Leave the brick, modernize the lantern lights (size them at 1/3 of the front door's height,) paint the trim, eaves and garage door in one of the colors drawn from the brick. I would remove the angular dadoes and repair any holes where they were. Reconfigure the landscaping bed to add softness via curves and the selection of plants.

• houssaon
    2 years ago

Keep the brick. Paint the siding all one color. Either a medium warm gray or a light cream.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Never ever would I paint the brick. I would agree on the highlighted gable trim. I would pop it off. Why the gray roofing with a "brown" tone home? That is unfortunate. Since you like light, color match the paint to the lightest tone in your brick and paint any all surfaces with that. Monotone has been the theme but I have to say I am seeing more and more homes being freshly painted with very dark trim colors. The front door I would POP with an orange!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

I’ll be the outlier and say I would go dark with all the painted trim- Sherwin Williams black fox as an example. Then the orange entry door mentioned above

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

What a lovely home! Paint the trim, leave the brick, it is simply beautiful! I like the idea of dark trim. Would use it as a solid color and would not highlight the panels.

Other than that, all it needs is landscaping (spend the money you would spend on painting the brick on landscaping). It will be better ROI and your maintenance free brick will stay that way!

An urn on each side of garage, filled with colorful annuals (red geraniums?) and a few trees, underplanted with perennials.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    2 years ago

Keep the brick as is. Some colors that would go nicely.

I would go with Oyster Bay for the Main color and Illusive Green for trim and gutters. For the window and garage area I wouldn't highlight those little trim pieces I would paint them the same as the siding.

Waterloo would be nice on the front door sidelights and door trim

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

My fave gree with brick

Then go to work on landscaping.adding nice pots filled with plants on that concrete expanse to the entry.

• nester44
    2 years ago

Keep the brick as is. Remove the skinny trim pieces on the siding of the window and gables and paint the siding a charcoal color or true dark brown. A wooden garage door -- either modern style or Craftsman (Greene and Greene style) -- in a natural wood or brown-stained color would be better than your current garage door. Change out the post lights and wall lights to something more Craftsman style, if that's the direction you're going in.

• Ashley Labrent
    2 years ago

This could be cool with your lanterns and big windows. The black could look really amazing and would be a lot easier rather then painting the full house. You could put a line of green shrubs along the wall with the windows which could be really pretty and compliment the colors!

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Nice home and yard. Definitely would not paint the brick.

Would paint the siding and all the currently painted exterior surfaces the same color as the current window trim and downspouts so it actually melds well with the brick rather than competes with it for attention. (The one exception might be the wall in which your front entry door is set IF you plan to paint your front entry door a bold color rather than have it the current darker wood look.) Let your front door be the focal point for the front of the house.

Alternately, the dark brown with brick suggested by Ashley Labrent is also a good look.

• houssaon
    2 years ago

A really dark gray would be dramatic.

• emmarene9
    2 years ago

Depends on if you like the color of the brick. Since I do not I am showing what I would do.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

I love Patricia's suggested green color. I would leave the trim in this case (normally I'm all for removing) but I would paint all one color. No contrast.

The reason that I would leave the trim is because it adds a just a touch of interest/ texture provided it is NOT highlighted. With no trim, I think the gable end will end up looking cheap.

• PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    2 years ago

With multiple tones in the brick I think you need to simplify the rest of the house. The multiple colors on the non brick areas are too busy and I think pull the wrong colors from the brick. I would either make all the trim areas the same color or if you use more than one color make sure they are close to each other. I would lean towards one of the darker gray/taupe tones in the brick. If you're interested in seeing some virtual makeovers of your home, check out my website, Creative Visual Concepts.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

You could embrace the 70's look but if that's not a good choice for you I would say paint the brick,

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Wonder if you got started yet. I agree paint that brick!
    So many options out there I’d probably paint or whitewash it white. With green or blue accents.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO painting brick is the fastest way to devalue your house so leave it please it is what makes your home unique.

• dee_mckervey
    2 years ago

Paint the trim as in above picture by BeverlyFLADeziner or maybe a shade lighter- the roof color? Brick is lovely IMHO

• lazidazi
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

In terms of ongoing maintenance thereafter, it is a major mistake to paint the brick. I strongly advise against doing so.

Agree with you that the paint detailing of gable trim is Wrong. In terms of *highlighting* such areas w/paint, the correct way would be to paint the Interior the darker contrast color - opposite of what yours is. For example, with your existing colors, garage door should be the darker color.

In order to find the colors you want to use for the trim and door, you must bring home sample chips to view them against your brick and in the light of day. You cannot make this determination at the paint store; you must view the colors where they will be placed.

I know you're tired of what you have, but you might consider this. The orange-y color matches your brick extremely well. Consider using that color for all the trim - except not on window sashes and front door. Dark brown or black would look great on windows [I recommend black].

No need to remove the gable trim, just paint it all the same color. Window sashes and front door should be the only contrast color; window sashes should be the darkest.

Since your front door is recessed, would be nice to figure a color to bring it *out*. Come home from the paint store with a LOT of swatches and then see what you think might work.

Installing a solar tube [or skylight] on the roof over the front door would do Wonders for allowing you to accent the entry. As long as that area remains in the dark, you don't really have a good option to highlight the front door and entry.

• suzytx55
    2 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner is on the mark again. We used this color scheme in my MIL's remodel for sale and it worked perfectly. This house has a bit of a modern exterior vibe so her choice of updated light fixtures is totally appropriate.

• judygilpin
    2 years ago

Whatever you do, DO NOT PAINT THE BRICK !!! I like the dark charcoal or even black trim that was suggested for the wood trim. Also upgrade (modernize) the light fixtures using the same color black or charcoal.

• vicki_buchanan94
    2 years ago

Actually, I think high contrast (lighter and darker) will draw attention to the brick which I wouldn't paint. You can never go wrong with a grayed-down green, but Oyster Bay would perhaps be too bright. The outside of our house is Chatroom...less bright, more of a grayed-down sage green. I would paint all of the trim a color like this and also the iron railing. In addition, plant some taller srubs and perhaps use a long planter or two on the right side of the walkway opposite the iron railing. You don't have to remove the trim pieces...just paint them the same color. Of course, new light fixtures would help...green if possible. BTW, paint chips are deceiving, get a small can of the actual paint and try it out...cheapest decorator available.

• Cary Coffin
    2 years ago

I like the idea of a gray-green with natural brick. I think the two-tone colors on the house now are throwing me off. Can't wait to see what you decide!

• oreet
    2 years ago

Keep the brick. Since you wants a more interesting updated modern look I would paint all your wood trim in black. Then I would change your garage door to a modern glass and black door. This will give you some relief from the black yet keep it looking fresh and modern. Next, purchase thin black house numbers and attach them to the right side of your entrance half brick wall. Switch your outdoor lights to a large globe design. After all this is done get your landscape redone by a professional.

• eclairerw
    2 years ago

One more vote here for not painting the brick.. If you like green, I’d make all the trim a greyed green, leaving the triangular pieces in place but painting them out.

• nomad
    2 years ago

And one more for keeping the brick. Great suggestions here and seeing the options I wouldn't even consider it. I think it comes down to the vibe you want. If you want to stay in rustic the green is lovely. If you're looking for a modern vibe or just a bigger change that's more striking the black above and in Ashley Labrent's response would be incredible. The latter captures my interest more, but which picture triggers a gut response for you?

• PRO
    Arslonga
    2 years ago

Since you already have a grey roof and new grey concrete, I would choose grey to match the existing colour of these two elements for garage doors and around the windows area. The gold windows trim looks good, so I would paint all trims and wooden elements of the house the same colour, including the garage beam and the garage frame (they are red-ish on my screen).

I would put wood siding vertically above the garage beam to match the colour and stile of existing fence and trim (see pic). The same for the gable above the windows. It would give you more interesting look with additional texture. To enhance the contrast, I would change the lanterns to modern and black ones. The entrance might be stained or paint with fresh bright trim-fence stain/colour and the grey paint around.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

Black trim, or really dark gray, would be great. Pop off that extra trim as someone else suggested. Is a new garage door in the budget? And more landscaping.

• Margie Kieper
    2 years ago

Whitewash the brick and repaint the (yikes) two-tone siding with two slightly different colors in the cool color family. Replace the dated entry lights in the brick columns and lose the dated bench by the door and replace with a modern outdoor wood bench in black. Add landscaping in the gravel area under the windows in the left. Repaint the black railing to spiff it up.