Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rlsnmerrick

Issues installing frameless shower doors with a 2.5 inch threshold

rlsnmerrick
2 years ago

I recently bought Woodbridge shower doors with the assumption they would work. Well, they require a minimum of a 3 inch threshold and mine is 2.5 inches less the bullnose radial tiles on each side. Substructure is a tile-redi shower pan. Also, the wall for the fixed panel is out of plumb by 3/6 inch. What type of shower doors would work? I would prefer frameless with one fixed door and one slide. Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

I can't see what difference 3" or 2 1/2" curb would make, and most shower door kits allow some adjustment for crooked walls- the glass gets installed plumb and you make up the extra 3/16th with caulk. Custom is of course the nicer answer...

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Custom. Especially if you want frameless, which is best in HEAVY glass.....

AND MORE IMPORTANT?

Your CURB TOP should be a solid surface;. never should have been tiled . Grout is NOT waterproof Even with a very slight pitch, this is just not the spot for tile. You've already got a bit too much going on with floor AND shower floor. GET A PRO. get a solid white or black quartz remnant cut at 3.5 inches by the 60 inches. I'm certain this was a home joe project and that was formerly a tub.

Then call a custom shop for the glass. In the meantime? Hang a shower curtain, as you WILL have to wait _ everyone is swamped

( Hope your niche doesn't leak.....and pray that entoire shower is adequately waterproofed. I have my doubts : )

• liz tepezano
    last year

@JAN MOYER if you happen to see this, our tiler added tile to the top of our curb at my request and now i'm worried about water damage. is it possible to add a solid piece of quartz now before the shower door is installed?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Liz teppezano

Assuming that tile is extremely flat and thickness of a porcelain? Probably ok. I would think not a big deal to get it off. Post a picture.

What's the counter top......and would you repeat it there. A picture of the whole bath and materials would be helpful

• liz tepezano
    last year

Thanks for the reply! I’ve been so overwhelmed the last couple of days that I hadn’t checked for your replies. And yesterday our shower door was installed. :( Good news is this is our hallway, guest bath which won’t be used too often, so that is comforting. Everything was waterproofed prior to the tile installation. The project isn’t quite done; counters, sinks and hardware haven’t been installed yet. Attaching a picture of just the shower area.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

You've already got a LOT going on......maybe just a bit too much.

You must know the remaining materials, despite not yet installed? Especially the counter top? What is the floor outside the shower?

• liz tepezano
    last year

Ugh, do you think it’s too much going on? :( The floor is Bedrosian Allora Hex Grey and the counter is quartz..I think pure white. So far, I love the tile and am happy with the way it’s turning out, but IF I EVER do this again, I will get help from a designer. Against my better judgment, I let my DH talk me out of one.

• shirlpp
    last year

So, the pic in your original posting is not your bathroom.

I just had a shower installed and wanted tile as the shower curb. The contractor would not do it. I had a custom curb made with quartz.

• liz tepezano
    last year

No it isn’t my bathroom. My tile guy didn’t give me any reason not to. It wasn’t until I read comments here that I became worried

• shirlpp
    last year

I think the original pic is misleading as the encaustic tile would have been a bit much.

Best wishes!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths