Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_770565159

Swinging frameless shower door will not open all the way

Unmesh Agarwala
2 years ago

Our swinging frameless shower door is held in place by two hinges and it can swing in or out by slightly more than 90 degrees from its closed position. It is not auto-closing and has approximately 1/8" gaps on both sides and the bottom and there are no sweeps.

This morning, it's movement with the usual pressure applied stopped at around 60-70 degrees and it will go to 90 degrees in either direction but with the application of significantly more force. The door is still level (checked with a spirit level) and the gaps are still the same. None of the screws appear to have walked out.

And it will stay in any position once left there including the closed one.

Is there anything I can try before calling a professional?

Picture of the hinge is at https://imgur.com/a/dAhZR3D

Thanks

Comments (10)

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

How old is this hinge? I'm wondering if you are getting wear or corrosion occurring inside the hinge where it is not visible. Have you tried squirting some silicone-based lubricant into it, or a product that helps break up corrosion, like B'laster PB?

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-PB-Penetrating-Catalyst-11-Ounces/dp/B000I2079E/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=PB+Blaster+spray&qid=1621421239&sr=8-1

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Looks like the top of the hinge is binding. Top. Point closest to wall attachment. But pictures can deceive. Anyway, check that point to see if it explains the problem.

• Unmesh Agarwala
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I stood close to the door hinge while opening it and couldn't see anything different as it reached the 70 degree mark though I did hear some creaking. What am I looking for?

Thanks

• millworkman
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

From the CRL site (your hinges may not be the Geneva but the adjustments are all the same):

The CRL Adjustable Geneva Series has taken our popular Geneva Hinge to a new level. Adjustment to accommodate the desired angle (up to 90 degree) is done after the door is installed. Once the door is hung, simply loosen the Allen set screws and turn the door to the desired closed position. By merely tightening the Allen screws your door will self-center to the desired closing position. The door can swing 90 degree inward and 90 degree outward (adjusting angle from factory set position will reduce 90 degree swing in that direction). For doors pulling outwards only (using a clear door jamb), you can adjust the hinge to close 5 degree inside the shower area, thus having the door close snugly against the jamb.

• Unmesh Agarwala
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, though my problem is not closing but rather opening fully. To my untrained eyes, nothing seems obviously amiss so I may have to call a professional.

• Unmesh Agarwala
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@kudzu9

It is a 10+ year old pair of hinges that were fine until this started happening overnight.

I tried some White Lithium Grease last night but it may not have penetrated and I will try a penetrating oil.

• Unmesh Agarwala
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The oil did not help so I will look for a professional to come to the house

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

Sorry to hear that. There may be enough deterioration internal to the hinge that no amount of lubricant or penetrating oil can fix it. When you do get it fixed, I'd like to hear what you found out.

• Unmesh Agarwala
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So I decided to take a video of the range of movement of the door to take to the local bath glass place to show them and make an appointment for a service visit. To my surprise, and delight, the door now has its range of motion back!

Can the oil have a delayed effect?