GET IDEAS
joan_ollendorf

Should we put 9 ft. or 10 ft. ceilings in a new Craftsman build?

Joanie123

We are building a new Craftsman-style home and need help deciding whether to go with 9 ft. or 10 ft. ceilings or a combination, depending upon each room. I’d like the home to feel warm and inviting, and the original Craftsman homes did not have very high ceilings to the best of my knowledge.

In my present home I have a 9 ft. ceiling in the kitchen which allows me to put a mix of 36-inch and 42-inch cabinets, with room above them for some decorative items. As a short person, putting higher cabinets all the way up to the ceiling isn’t practical for me because even with a ladder I’ll struggle to reach things on the highest shelves.

The builder is planning to put in 10 ft. ceilings throughout the new house unless we request otherwise. Given the cost of stained molding, some of our trim will be painted, and stained trim will be reserved for special touches like the dining room.

Questions:

1. If we build a kitchen with a 10 ft. ceiling but cabinets that only reach 8 ft high with molding (like the ones I have now), will it look strange to have 2+ feet of wall space above the cabinets?

2. Craftsman, as I think of it, should have a “cozy” feel. Will 10 ft. ceilings detract from that and take away from the Craftsman feel?

3. In the dining room we will have beams, likely stained. Will a 9 ft. ceiling be too low with the beams and should I go for 10 ft. in the dining room?

4. Not sure what to do with the great room.

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.