Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheldon_lynn

20 year old Monstera base with 3 leaves. How to stimulate growth?

Sheldon Lynn
2 years ago

I acquired the a base of a huge 20 year old Monstera plant. The root system is completely intact. There are three large leaves / nodes but the rest of the plant has been pruned away. A little baby shoot is pushing out, separate from the main plant.

My question is: how can I stimulate new growth?

Here are the options I'm thinking about:

1. Replant entire thing in a larger pot with suitable Aroid potting mix (current substrate is very compacted). Add a moss pole or stake. Care for it and hope that it puts out new growth.
  2. Chop off top two nodes and propagate (either together as a two node cutting or into two separate cuttings). Replant the bottom node with the main root system. Once the cuttings have rooted, plant together with the main plant.
  3. Chop off all 3 nodes and propagate. Discard the main root system.

Option 1 is the easiest but I am not sure if new growth is still possible from the three nodes since the growing tip has been removed.

Option 2 is the most attractive to me. I am hoping for a nice and full plant so maybe it is best to cut some off, propagate and root, then replant together. However, is this wasting the full potential of the intact root system of the main plant?

Option 3 is also viable but seems like a waste of the root system.

Also, the "scaling" and peeling around the nodes. Does that seem like a concern? I chalked it up to the age of the plant. The leaves seem quite healthy aside from some yellowing on the edges probably due to issues with watering. The original plant was semi-neglected.

Any help and advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (3)