Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joliegirl16

Help! Shower Wall Conflicting with Skylight

joliegirl16
2 years ago

Happy Memorial Day!
Please, I need your help. We are remodeling the bathroom and flipped the toilet and shower location but now the new shower wall is conflicting with the skylight. We are having 96” Transolid Walls installed and the shower door will be 79”. Would you lower the “framed wall” and if so, by how much. Thank you!!!

Comments (29)

• houssaon
    2 years ago

You can make the wall a bit shorter.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO you need to make the wall shorter and who decided this was a good plan at all.I sure hope that llight fixture is going in the trash too.

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. The contractor who bailed on us did!
    And yes, the light fixture and mirror will be trashed. I neglected to state that. Thanks again.

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Houssan, do you think 10 inches would be sufficient?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

No- remove that wall altogether down to 42”. The trend is for open spaces- this would not be a good plan even without the skylight.

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you...so a glass panel in its place? What height?

• Jean
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

A half wall with a glass panel above would be immensely better if you keep the shower in that location. Looks like you already have a lot of work done, would you consider posting the floor plan? What are the openings opposite the shower?

• elizabeth_eclectic
    2 years ago

Can you do all glass without the half wall?

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! Yes,I think that’s our best way to go. Yes, shower needs to stay in that position as it was on the opposite wall as a corner shower. It’s revised to accommodate someone with special needs and that’s why we thought a solid wall would be best but the contractor left us since we didn’t agree to last minute cash payment.
    Thank you again for everyone’s help.

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Elizabeth_Eclectic, the vanity will butt up against that wall and therefore we could only do half glass. Thank you!

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

If you do a pony wall along the vanity, it's the perfect place to put in a shower niche if you're looking to add one.

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That’s it! That’s what we are going for. Thanks for the photo!

• cpartist
    2 years ago

You have a much bigger issue in that the wall board you have in the shower is not rated for showers. You should be using cement board and not that!

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

+1 on pony wall - solution by committee that actually worked out this time!

Other tidbits you don't want to hear:

- The light does not look like a gimbal (rotated to counter the ceiling slope)

- Exhaust fan directly sucks out your heat/cool (at least when both on simultaneously)

- Showerhead looks to be high, maybe 84"? Verify that's what you want.

- Moisture resistant drywall as backer: many people will say with Redguard it doesn't matter until they are blue in the face. Still matters, cementious board (non-gypsum material) is the best way.

- Drone spying: may just be me, but skylights in bathrooms now freak me out.

• Therese N
    2 years ago

Contact a shower glass company and have them install a panel and door like this. It doesn’t need to have the panes I’ve drawn, but the idea is that you take down that wall to the counter height and do some kind of glass enclosure.

• Therese N
    2 years ago

If you don’t change the wallboard, make sure your tile guy wraps and seals the walls with membrane! Schluter is great. Guys who install Schluter correctly are even better. If you didn’t do a niche (crud collectors, IMHO) you could use a glass shelf installed on the tile later. Also, in case you hadn’t thought of it, consider new fan with at least 100 CFM or so. The ducting on the new ones have changed, so watch your box and vent size. You may need a transition piece. Sometimes janky, but worth it. I like the Panasonic kind with or without the LED lights.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Kerdi and some other systems are allowed over regular drywall by the shower panel panel company inspite of the drywall mfrs saying never (no drywall warranty). Moisture Resistant drywall (green or purple board) have never ever been approved for inside a shower wet area.

• Tootsie
    2 years ago

Make sure to plan for hand rails. I think you need to add plywood...

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

THANK YOU everyone for your input! We will have the changes made accordingly. Appreciate all of your help!

• houssaon
    2 years ago

I like the idea of partial glass. 42 inches seems to low, but with glass it could work. I really like the pony wall with glass posted by Amy Lynn above.

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Agreed! Thank you again!

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

Folks, she is getting a Transolid shower. That is solid surface walls, no seams except at the corners. The corners are caulked, covered with a cove molding, and caulked again. It is not something that water can penetrate, like with tile and grout. I believe that Transolid specified drywall behind my shower.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I have a skylight but a different set up. not sure why this wasn't taken into account when doing yours. even for special needs, I think it could have a better layout.

I just did a pony wall.

can you do something like this and just use a solid piece of glass? mine is wide enough so I don't even need glass, but it could work in your case.

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nancy in Mich - yes, We were told regular sheet rock would be fine, but going to take everyone’s advice and have it switched to the cement board. Thank you!

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth H: your bathroom is beautiful! Wow! And the size...👌🏽
    Unfortunately, we are limited in size and the wall (we thought) would be a good idea to provide a seat and adequate hand rails for our special needs person.
    Th aka for your beautiful pictures!

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Theresen: we are installing a niche. We found out they are not that popular but we didn’t want any structure sticking out for our special needs person.
    Thank you so much for all of your input.
    Truly grateful.

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

Just be sure that Transolid approves of the change to cement board. They send you the adhesive with the walls. You want to make sure it will adhere correctly to the different surface.

• joliegirl16
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nancy in Mich: Yes, thank you. It is approved. Thanks again for all of your input. More than grateful.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living