Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Dwarf shrub for north side of house?

msrose
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has similar requirements for their yard and has found a good shrub . Like many, I lost my shrubs in the freeze. I previously had dwarf variegated pittosporum, which were perfect. I never had to trim them (a must) and they were low enough my dogs could still see out the window. I haven't seen them anywhere this year and I'm hesitant to plant the same thing again. The fact that it's on the north side of the house makes it more confusing as to what would do good there. I talked to two landscapers, but they were already booked up. I have other beds that need help, so I've decide to wait until next year and plan early, so I can get a landscaper. My HOA is requiring us to replace any dead foundation shrubs by October this year, so I have to at least take care of that project this year. I'm in the DFW area.

Comments (12)

• buttoni_8b
    2 years ago

I lost my 4 variegated pittosporum, too. I replaced with Ligustrum 'Sunshine' in the same part sun, part shade bed on the intersection of my corner lot. They can get to 4-6' tall in the perfect setting, but I have seen them topped and kept low as a border or low hedge as well. Very pretty done like that. https://southernlivingplants.com/the-collection/plant/sunshine-ligustrum/
    They are lime colored in shadier spots; golden in full sunshine, hence the name. I just planted out 7 since the freeze here in Temple and they're happy. Still small, but putting on new growth.

• msrose
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think Ligustrum Sunshine is gorgeous, but I am concerned about the height. I think I'm limited by the size I'm looking for.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

DFW here, too ...

There are some cultivars of dwarf Yaupon Holly that stay around 2ft. The names escape me, but the nursery will know.

Drift Rose would stay low, but not evergreen.

Dwarf Nandinas (I have ‘Firepower’, the colors are gorgeous). You’d want quite a few, as they don’t spread much. They get up around 2ft.

‘Kaleidoscope’ Abelia would work well, I think.

https://southernlivingplants.com/the-collection/plant/kaleidoscope-abelia/

I have all of these — they all survived the storm, including ones in very unprotected, open areas.

ETA: I have ’Sunshine’ ligustrum, too, and love them. They do sprawl, but are so soft and easy to clip. But I think the abelia would be the one most like the pittosporum ... even prettier.

• msrose
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Jinx. I saw Rose Creek Abelia at one of the nurseries and I wondered about it, but I have no experience with Abelias. It even seems like I saw one that was variegated like my pittosporum, which was more of a bluish green and white instead of the green/yellow. Do they do okay with in part shade? I adore Drift roses, but unfortunately I had to take out all of my roses due to Rose Rosette. I'm nervous to plant them again, but I do miss them.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

msrose, I have either ‘Miss Lemon’ or ‘Lemon Lime’ abelia in front and back ... they have a more variegated appearance.

They stay low, but send up these funny solo shoots, see behind the birdbath. Very easy to snip when needed. This one gets a lot of shade. My ones in front (full sun) flower more:

Re: Drift roses ... I have one in the same bed that I had KOs in ... the KOs got RRD and had to be removed, but the Drift is fine so far. It is a risk, for sure.

My Drift the other day. I check it daily for the tell-tale signs. ‘Firepower’ Nandina in front:

Abelias are my absolute favorite shrub for our state. They‘re soft, super hardy, beautiful, drought-tolerant, disease/insect free ... just perfect. Dwarf Yaupon Holly are also the perfect shrub.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Just looked up ‘Rose Creek’, not familiar with it ... it’s beautiful! You can’t go wrong with an Abelia.

Now I want one of those. :D

• msrose
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the pictures. Are Abelias everygreen or do they lose their leaves during the winter?

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Normally semi-evergreen, but mine did lose leaves during that awful winter storm. A rare occurrence.

Best thing: they’re pollinators. Butterflies and bees love them. :)

Here it was after the historic low temps. I thought it was a goner, but it bounced right back. March:

In April:

Just now:

• buttoni_8b
    2 years ago

@msrose. my abelia is along my front driveway (planted by former owner) in mostly shade all day long now, since the neighbors trees have filled out more. it blooms and does draw pollinators. It didn't suffer one bit in the freeze we had.

• msrose
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@buttoni_8b. Thank you for the info. Do you know what Abelia you have?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    2 years ago

Fall is a good time to plant.

• buttoni_8b
    2 years ago

@msrose, sorry, I do not know for certain, but think it is Glossy Linnaea 'Grandiflora' comparing it to the photos over on Natl. Gardening Assoc. website. Leaves on mine ARE glossy. Blooms are the palest pink when emerge and get whiter as they die off. It blooms lighter than if it were in the sun, I'm sure, but it does have a nice leaf and round form. It's evergreen and does NOT color in the fall........stays green year round. Former owner stopped by a few weeks ago but I didn't think to ask her any plant questions. We only talked about the freeze damage to trees and such. :)