Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhonda_kivlin

Is a 48" range too big for our space?

Rhonda K
2 years ago

Currently planning a remodel, and trying to decide between a 36" and 48" range. We want two ovens, so a 36" would require a wall oven to go somewhere, so essentially taking up 36" + 30", while we could do a 48" and get both.
Our kitchen has one wall that is a 19-foot span, flanked by 12-foot walls. Open to the living room/dining room, with about a 6-7 foot island.
If we went with a 48", we would center it on the 19-foot wall and make it the focal point of the room.
I can't find anywhere a recommended size based on the dimensions of your kitchen. I know it comes down to personal preference and cooking needs, but is a 48" going to look like a monstrosity in our space?
Photo shows long wall - sink/dw moves, and range will be centered between the two windows.
Thanks! Rhonda

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO no one needs a48” range in a home unless you cook for 20 3 x aday. The venting and MUA will cost more than the range and the noise will make you carzy, Get a nice 6 burner 36” range and do a wall oven honestly if that is causing concern with the space then there is no way your space can handle a 48” range anyway.

• dan1888
    2 years ago

I'd want a 30" induction range in that space. Frigidaire or Bosch 800.link are two with good history here.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

Post your kitchen layout for easier understanding of your space. My 48" was the best decision I made for my kitchen, it fits the space and my family perfectly. Don't let strangers tell you what you need and don't need...listen, but decide for you...you won't be cooking for them.

• wilson853
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

A 36" oven cavity takes a long time to preheat. We upsized from a 36" cooktop to a 48" range top with separate ovens and so glad that we did. I love having landing space for items coming out of the ovens and my husband and I can work at the range top together without bumping elbows. I'd give up a drawer stack to get the extra flexibility and if you do a range top you have wonderful storage underneath for your pots and pans. You certainly have enough room between your windows to get a look like this.

New Orleans Inspired on Yarrow Point · More Info

• Rhonda K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here's a rough sketch of our space... Long wall with 2 windows is 19 feet, left wall is 9 feet with doorway and right wall is 12 feet.

We are opening up the fourth wall and adding an island with seating. I've drawn that in.

This is a big remodel, so we are willing to move existing sink/fridge, etc. I think the space between the windows is the natural focal point for the whole room.

Thanks all!

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

A 48" will not look too large in your space. My range is on my 14' leg of the L shaped cabinet run, my other leg is 19'...the kitchen expands beyond that on another wall...the range on the smaller wall is not out of scale at all, yours is even longer!

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

A 36" range would be my last choice - have you seen the oven cavities of them? Wide and low. When I see them, I picture my lasagna casserole or Le Creuset dutch oven or cake pan sitting in them with so much empty space left over within the oven. Me, I like a 36" rangetop plus double wall ovens, but also like the larger rangetop that @wilson853 mentioned. If you like the 48" range, it looks like it would be a nice fit between those windows. But first, you must be thorough about your hood exhaust and make sure you have the proper ducting from the hood to the outside. Second, be thorough in your research of which 48" range - I've seen mention on this forum that some of them have the "larger" oven that is too small to serve as a larger oven which is a constant frustration to their owners.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

A 48 Inch range is mostly status, The second oven is as close to useless as you will ever have. Unless you love casseroles. ......because that is about all that fits. Do a 36 inch, add a 30 inch wall oven. Far more function.

A 36 inch range is plenty of focal point as well.... you buy for function. Not focal points of WOW that 's a big range

The best advice in a major remodel will come from a professional KD, her contractor and firm grip on what you can spend. Flooring, cabinets, counters appliance, lighting ALLLLLL AND IT IS ALWAYS MORE THAN YOU PLANNED OR WISHED.

• Fori
    2 years ago

I think it would look fabulous.

I do agree that you might get better functionality with a 36" range plus wall oven. Your wall oven could then be something fun like a steam or speed oven or just a really good baking oven.

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

I think a 48 inch range will work well in your kitchen.

The small oven in our 48 inch range fits a 1/2 sheet pan. So no it is not only for casseroles. We use the small oven all the time so no it is not all but useless. And no we didnt get a 48 inch range for status. I could give a hoot about status.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Status and "focal point" are rather the same thing in this particular scenario. NOT said is I need a ton of burners and a griddle and and and.

A 48 INCH IMPLIES........ the rest of the kitchen is "up" to it. That means usually a Sub Zero Fridge,,,,,so plan your appliance dollars in total , first.

Most folks require more cooling space than cooking SURFACE, which also implies make up air....hood size.... a ton of venting expense.

You also ask yourself how long you are staying, what is in the rest of the neighborhood.......what makes sense. Because a 48 inch monolith is a GIGANTIC upgrade from a micro over a 30 inch stove. Just sayin......: )

If you can pay, and stay to enjoy, only YOU know what you want, and only you will be unhappy if you don't get what you want.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

Vinmarks, me too. I use the small oven frequently for roasting veggies, baking banana bread...I have 2 racks in it, it holds plenty for side dishes etc. My larger oven is the same size as my old 30" range had. Both preheat quickly enough (the small one very fast) and the flexibility to choose between is great. I don't get the 2 bitter/jealous sounding pros...if they don't have a 48", why such an attitude against them? Because your opinion should override everyone else's kitchen...just maybe you are very set in your ways and cannot think outside of what you have always done. A real pro could. Status? Seriously?

• Paul S
    2 years ago

I love my 48" Blue Star RNB. Family of 4 and we use the smaller 2nd oven all the time and the large oven usually only for entertaining and holidays. The ventilation needs are not to be dismissed, but the constant refrain that no one "needs" a 48" is true but in such a trivial sense as to make it meaningless. Does anyone really "need" a Porche or a BMW to get from point A to B? Does anyone really "need" anything beyond a standard size 4 electric burners and oven? Most of human history survived with less than that, so just about everything discussed on this forum is not "needed", but my range sure is fun to cook on!

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

I only wish I had space for a wall oven. I hate bending over to remove hot, heavy items from a range oven. Unfortunately my kitchen had no available space for wall ovens, so I have my 36” Thermador all gas. I never bake cakes, so I cannot speak to that, but I love how quickly my oven heats to temperature and how quietly it cools compared to my previous KitchenAid electric double ovens. Get what you want- we only live once. I seldom use all six burners, but I like the options they give me.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

As I said...........................................................

If you can pay, and stay to enjoy, only YOU know what you want, and only you will be unhappy if you don't get what you want..

I LOVE my galley kitchen ( AUTONOMY ...YEAH!! ) ..........so jealously is hardly an issue for me. I'd want roller skates for a half of the kitchens I do. Frankly? Pro's are rarely if ever jealous of any client and the longer they do design of any variety ? The more truth in that statement. : )

• Longbranchstitch
    2 years ago

I have a 48” DCS range. Double oven. Use both ovens frequently. Smaller oven holds two loaf pans which is convenient as I bake a lot of bread. Larger oven holds two side by side half sheet pans on one rack. Perfect for the kind of baking and cooking I do. The Broan vent hood does a great job, isn’t noisy, and wasn’t nearly as expensive as a matching hood from DCS.

It all depends on how you live and how you cook and bake. No configuration is perfect for every person. You just have to decide what works best for you, make a decision, and don’t look back.

• Longbranchstitch
    2 years ago

*no one configuration...

• opaone
    2 years ago

"which also implies make up air....hood size.... a ton of venting expense."

Realistically... it doesn't really matter if you have a 30", 36" or 48" - You need proper ventilation. The average consumer may produce a little more harmful effluent w/ a 48" than with a 30" but likely not much more and both will require good ventilation and in most cases matching MUA - if you do not want unhealthy IAQ.

Frying some bacon and eggs on our 48" produces EXACTLY the same amount of harmful VOC's, carcinogens and PM as doing so on a 30" and requires pretty much the exact same exhaust capability.

• loobab
    2 years ago

Hi Rhonda-

Do you want a 48" cook top or a 48 inch range with the ovens underneath?

Are you ok with bending down to take things out of the oven now and forever more including big heavy roasts and birds, including the gigantor holiday ones?

I am saying this as the voice of Christmas future.

Seriously though, I am a bit older now, and lifting a big heavy thing from below is difficult.

And if you have any sort of condition, painful.

So there are advantages to wall ovens as opposed to the ovens in ranges.

The other thing to think about (which has been discussed on threads here) is that the griddles get discolored and icky looking very quickly.

You are much better off purchasing a griddle pan or two and using them and then discarding them when they get icky.

If you live in a climate where you can't barbecue outdoors all year round you can purchase grill pans as well.

(I am ambivalent about non-stick pans, but I just ordered a non-stick griddle pan from OXO because French toast is a family favorite and we are trying to save on the butter and put the calories into the Vermont maple syrup instead :)

• opaone
    2 years ago

Some perspective...

Bending down and lifting things is good. U.S. Americans are the least healthy population of ALL developed countries. We have the highest levels of preventible chronic disease, the lowest life expectancy, the highest rates of overweight and obese and yet we spend far more per capita on healthcare than any other country. We need to do more bending down and lifting stuff, not less.

Griddles get proper patina - this is not discoloration. It is the way properly used and cared for griddles are supposed to look. As well, most ranges come w/ covers for the griddle to protect it when not in use.

See Why Good Griddles Are Important for why burner top griddles are not such a good idea (if you have the option of a good thermostatic).

I'm not aware of any climate where you can't cook outdoors all year. We cook outside in Minnesnowta throughout the year including pizza on our pellet grill every Sunday night. U.S. Americans have this thing that unless it's between 71.2°f and 78.6°f, partly cloudy and 2 mph breeze then it's too cold, too hot, too wet, too windy, too sunny or too stagnant to eat, ride a bicycle, cook, hike or anything outside - Quick, run inside, close all the windows (OK, most have probably actually never even been opened) and breath in that CO2, VOC, Carcinogen, PM and Pathogen laden air. The very best medical care on the planet is you - spending lots of time outside doing stuff (gardening and bicycling the two best things) in fresh air is really great medical care.

Avoid non-stick. How toxic the chemicals in non-stick coatings are is still up for debate. As well, non-stick does not produce good food. There's a reason why you never or very rarely see it in restaurants. More: https://bamasotan.us/cookware/

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

You would need a1200CFM hood for that range and that will not be cheap MUA is something that needs to be prcied in your area and beleive me there is no quiet 1200CFM hood just turn it off when you are done cooking and you will realize how noisy it is. BTW I design kitchens and have done many with 48” ranges with my clients needs taken into consideration and always in a much larger kitchen than posted here. I run a catering biz from my home and don’t need a 48” range . MUA can be very expensive to install depending on the house .

• Rhonda K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just want to thank everyone for all the passionate responses! My original question was not if we "need" a 48" (who does? lol), but if one would fit without overwhelming our kitchen. I think I have the answer to that, so many thanks for all the thoughtful sharing. We looked at some 36" and 48" ranges and rangetops yesterday, and we're still playing around with configurations to see what would work best for our family.

Our family, btw, consists of 4 people, and 3 cooks. Baking and cooking are equally important. I can tomatoes and make jam and apple pie filling every summer, my husband likes his wok and homemade pizza, my daughter is fearless in the kitchen and will make you a gorgeous breakfast sandwich, crepes or a lemon cake on a whim. Our son enjoys eating it all. We host teenagers often along with their appetites, but acknowledge that they will be off to college soon and that will change, leaving just the two of us and a bigger crowd for holidays (or for when they boomerang and move back in with us, lol).

One thing we are considering is a 36" all gas with an electric wall oven. That setup will probably give us the best of all worlds, plenty of burners, a gas oven for roasting and an electric oven for baking. We can also have some separation from someone cooking at the stove and someone baking. I think that's where we are leaning, but I'm going to sit down with our designer and weigh it with the overall design.

I've purposefully avoided the brand discussion, because we want to get the layout right first and foremost without trying to design the whole kitchen around one piece of equipment. We've got a short list of brands that we think will satisfy the three of us (with the help of some of you in other threads), so we're good there for now.

Appreciate all the insights -- you've all made great points and given us plenty to noodle as we plan our forever kitchen.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

"Bending down and lifting things is good. U.S. Americans are the least healthy population of ALL developed countries. We have the highest levels of preventible chronic disease, the lowest life expectancy, the highest rates of overweight and obese and yet we spend far more per capita on healthcare than any other country. We need to do more bending down and lifting stuff, not less."

Frankly, this is rather insulting -- it presumes we're all in "bad shape". I'm perfectly capable of bending, squatting, and lifting TYVM. But bending way down and lifting a 25-lb bird from the lower rack of a range oven from an awkward angle can be difficult.

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

Love the comment about bending done and lifting up is good for you. There is NO bending down and lifting up when you are forced to use a walker for six months.

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

Rhonda, the 36” all gas and an electric wall oven would be my dream!

• Indecisiveness
    2 years ago

@opaone You are incorrect that the CFM are the across a 30”, 36” or 48” surface as its not the CFM, but feet per second (FPS) of the air flow that captures particulate. To calculate FPS, you divide CFM by the air capture surface area then divide by 60.

@Rhonda K If you have that many cooks in the kitchen, would you benefit from a second cooktop?

• opaone
    2 years ago

"and beleive me there is no quiet 1200CFM hood"

@Patricia Colwell Consulting, I think you are operating from a very limited and narrow perspective. First, that just because someone has a range that is less than 48" wide means that they have little ventilation requirement or that a 48" is a huge step up in ventilation requirement - neither are true. As I said above - frying bacon and eggs on a 30" range produces EXACTLY as much harmful effluent as doing doing so on a 48".

Second, that all range hood exhaust systems are extremely loud.

You keep repeating stuff that is simply not true. Please stop misleading people.

You are good at offering up your inaccurate negative thoughts and fears of how much a hood+MUA will cost and how loud it will be but I've not seen you offer much in the way of solutions.

@kaseki, I and others have range hoods that are fairly quiet. Mine at 500 actual CFM's (the equivalent of about a 1200 CFM consumer hood), which is what we use 95% of the time, is totally silent (we actually adjusted the airflow up so that we could hear it a little to know that it was on) and at 980 actual CFM's (the equivalent of about a 2,000 CFM consumer hood) is still much quieter than any consumer hood of any CFM. And this hood+exhaust system+heated MUA, contrary to your assertions, cost less than our 48" RNB range.

More: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6040827/range-hood-noise-project

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 years ago

Is it me, or are there some cranky comments here this morning? After such a long wet and cool weekend, the sun is out this morning! Everyone has a thought, an opinion, that they are being invited to share by anyone posting to the forums. I don't know why people can't post an opinion that disagrees or has a different perspective without being cranky.

• opaone
    2 years ago

@Indecisiveness, I'm a bit confused. Can you tell me exactly what statement I made that is incorrect. Please quote my statement and exactly why you think is incorrect so that I can understand.

• Indecisiveness
    2 years ago

@opaone

Frying some bacon and eggs on our 48" produces EXACTLY the same amount of harmful VOC's, carcinogens and PM as doing so on a 30" and requires pretty much the exact same exhaust capability.

You are sort of right, regardless of hood size, you need similar FPS to capture particles. But, 30” hood needs less CFM than a 48” hood to achieve that FPS. It’s the air flow’s FPS that dictates the particles it captures, not the CFM.

• opaone
    2 years ago

"Frankly, this is rather insulting -- it presumes we're all in "bad shape". I'm perfectly capable of bending, squatting, and lifting TYVM. But bending way down and lifting a 25-lb bird from the lower rack of a range oven from an awkward angle can be difficult."

What I said was basic human physiology. Our bodies are not maintenance-free and routine (frequently throughout each day) physical activity, including bending down, is critical maintenance. If you're offended then talk w/ whomever designed our bodies (or any doctor).

Please help me understand how there was any presumption of any sort that "we're all in "bad shape"". Some people are and some not.

However...,

I agree that lifting a 25-lb bird from the lower rack of an oven is difficult. How often do we do that though? And without someone to help?

Some people do have disabilities that make bending down impossible or dangerous.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with having things at a more convenient height and this can also greatly add to the efficiency of a workspace. We placed a warming drawer up higher for that reason. I was simply offering a different perspective to the earlier statement.

• opaone
    2 years ago

You are sort of right, regardless of hood size, you need similar FPS to capture particles. But, 30” hood needs less CFM than a 48” hood to achieve that FPS. It’s the air flow’s FPS that dictates the particles it captures, not the CFM.

Thank you. Yes, a larger hood may require greater CFM's. I don't believe I said anything to the contrary and if you've read these forums then you should have seen me, @kaseki and others say that numerous times.

I was replying to the assertion, and one that's far too common on here, that just because someone has a smaller range that they have significantly less need of ventilation or that just because they have a 48" they'll be suddenly thrown in to the world of needing MUA.

The reality is that just about every 36" range and many or most 30" should have proper ventilation that requires proper MUA. The cost difference between a proper exhaust + MUA system for a 30" is not that much different than for a 48".

• kaseki
    2 years ago

Well, reading this thread was an enjoyable interlude, although I'm not sure that there wasn't any schadenfreude hiding in my unconscious.

As I don't have an iPhone to use to provide noise measurement consistency with @opaone's noise measurement request, all I can say about my 1500 nominal CFM system is that it certainly is noisier than my SubZero 632, or my Miele Optima (especially when it's broken), but not so noisy that one can't talk across or along it with a reasonably normal voice level.

At 3 times the person-to-person distance (R^2 = 9), a TV source needs to be made louder to hear with the same clarity as when the hood system is off, if the listener is under the hood edge.

@Indecisiveness: For both residential hoods and commercial hoods designed using the Greenheck method, air velocity is where its at. However, there is a significant difference between the values needed. In the case of the residential hood, which I have (Wolf Pro Island hood), there is a need to immediately entrain the rising effluent into the air flow passing into the baffle gaps. In the much taller commercial hood, there is a large air volume reservoir below (and often beside) the baffle assemblies that allows CFM averaging (I call it) over the baffle space. Due to height and shape, commercial hoods allow the effluent velocity to slow down. As a result, the necessary specific hood entry aperture air flow (ft/min or CFM/sq. ft.) can be lower for a given spillage threshold. See images. Lower air velocity means a less noisy hood system, and with care, a less noisy MUA system.

Opaone's baffle gap air velocity should be lower than mine when dealing with the same effluent. The effluent path to his hood's baffles is likely 5 to 6 feet above the cooktop, whereas to mine it is about 3 to 4 ft (angled baffles). His hood is large enough to encompass the rising and expanding effluent at commercial hood height. All that is physically needed for a commercial grade system is sufficient kitchen ceiling height and a decent passage space to the outside for hood system and MUA system. Compromise to residential configurations is basically driven by architecture and aesthetics, if funding is sufficient.

Spillage vs. no spillage from a griddle to a commercial hood; difference is specific air flow. (The image is showing schlieren photography heat imagery, not steam.)

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

@opaone - I agree with @mxk3 z5b_MI that your comment was insulting and also condescending. I respect your comments and input on this forum a great deal. But you were disingenuous with that rebuttal. That was a whole lot o' assumption you made about who is in shape enough and how that should factor into the OP's decision about an oven. Moving on...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 years ago

This is what some find to argue about? Seriously? For whose benefit, did you feel it was necessary to go around the block multiple times about how insulted you are by someone's comment that having bending and lifting built into our daily routine might be a good thing?

You couldn't just post an opposing opinion without making it personal to the person who made the comment and attempt to claim that she/he said something insulting and stupid? Do you realize it ends up being you who are making insults?

This is not what these forums were intended for. It's supposed to be a friendly, exchange of ideas, not a source of friction.

• opaone
    2 years ago

Do we really need 25lbs of bird? What if we got a 13lb bird instead and everyone ate a bit less bird and a bit more veggies and legumes? :-)

FWIW, my wife is on the president's advisory board of the uni and is well aware of how stupid I am.

• Maria Desautelle
    last year

Not sure if you will see this comment, but so curious what your final decision was. I’m having exactly the same debate now with my kitchen remodel.