GET IDEAS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
kenichimatsu94

Picea jezoensis have spruce spider mites. How to kill?

Here are some pics of it. I just applied some horticultural oil for the first time but not sure if I did the right thing. How do I get rid of these pests? I only have 2 of these spruces and are very rare so I really don’t want to remove them.

Comments (8)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last month

A sharp spray of water every 7-10 days will keep them in check.

More details here.,,

https://extension.psu.edu/spruce-spider-mites

tj

• Heruga (6b/7a NJ)
    Original Author
    last month

Ok but I took this pic today after we had 3 straight days of rain and they were still there. Do they really become dislodged from water?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last month
    last modified: last month

Yes, really. A sharp spray from a hose works better than rain unless you get a good, strong, long lasting downpour.

tj

• Heruga (6b/7a NJ)
    Original Author
    last month

Ok. Is this a more reliable method than horticultural oil? Or alternate both methods with few days in between?

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last month

I struggle so bad with mites on my roses

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last month

I never used the oil as water always works.

tj

• plantkiller_il_5
    last month

There is a miticide you can use

ron

go look it up

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last month

the blue on the tree [actually any plant that is blue] .... is a waxy coating on green needles/leaves ... if you keep slathering oil on the wax ... you will ruin the blue coloration ... but new growth will have it ...

bayer tree and shrub systemic is probably rated for mites.. but you can verify this ... been a long time since i red the label ... maybe not ...

the magnifying glass pic is cool.. but i cant see anything in it ... probly my eyes ...

ken