Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elgato_caliente

New Home - Dry wall pops

ElGato Caliente
2 years ago

So weve got a new home coming up on our 1 yr warranty. The builder wants to fix all the nail pops at this point.
My dilemma is whats the right call?
They used a super flat paint that can hide some crazy amount of issues.
I went through and most are mild pops. Paint is cracking or you can clearly see the outline of a screw.
If i paint or pay to paint aomething with a higher sheen that wears better than the flat, its going to show alot worse.
On one hand i know the builders paint works and its bad. Theyll just skim over it and not even sand it. Ive seen some huge runs and drip patterns, terrible patch jobs etc. And they never clean up. There will be dust everywhere.
But on the otherhand, we paid for a new house. If i pay a painter to paint, theyll just paint over it. If i tell them to fix all the issues gouges niks dents patches and pops its gonna sky rocket in price. And i didnt contribute to most of the issues, so why should i have to pay for it?
Again mostly minor. Although one wall has about 30 pops. As compared to the rest of the house with 2-5/ wall.
Im torn.
Total ~150. 2800sqft. What do you think?
Thanks

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

Drywall nail pops are the consequence of framing materials adapting to the conditioned environment of the home. Framing lumber that may have gotten wet during framing has dried out. If the builder is willing to fix the nail pops, why not let them do it?

• Jennifer K
    2 years ago

Get them fixed. You already paid for it. And if you ever sell, those nail pops will make potential buyers wonder about the quality of your build. Yeah, it's going to be disruptive. But then it will be done.

• ElGato Caliente
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yea im aware, and yes they do use very wet lumber, per the builder. Im just wondering if im being unreasonable? And also if it means theyre gonna poorly repair each pop and skid over it, and ill have sand it and clean it all up myself anyway..

Like is it unreasonable to expect the builder to repair items properly? No?

Then why is there so much evidence of poor workmanship? Is that just how builder grade paint is?

Like do people just accept pops like ive shown and just always paint over them?

Like theres a line where you asking the builder to properly perform work and when your asking the builder to be a perfectionist and im not sure where that is.

• strategery
    2 years ago

Have builder fix nail pops. They will paint the repairs only.

After that, you can paint over everything if you wish, of course.

• JJ
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The builder wants to fix the nail pops now. But you...what is it you want him to do? Fix it "properly?" But he hasn't even been out there yet and you are objecting to a job he hasnt done yet?

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

Was the sheetrock nailed or screwed? Use of screws usually reduces the incidence of pops.

• ElGato Caliente
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Its new construction so i imagine screws. And of course they just spot paint it sure, but like wouldnt you expect them to sand it etc?

It should look like theres no evidence of said nail pop. Just slapping some compound over it and painting over said smear is unacceptable imo.

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

Did the builder say you had to pay to have him fix the nail pops? How do you know he will just slap on compound and not sand before painting?

• dan1888
    2 years ago

The poor quality work is related to the framing. Let his drywall guys fix the pops. Also I wouldn't assume they used screws. I hope they do for the repairs. Because everything is dry now you shouldn't get further damage. Ask them to sand it smooth. After they're done you can do what is necessary to bring the work to a level you're happy with going forward. Long-term. Then you're done with this.

• bry911
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You are citing poor workmanship by them but not providing examples.

If it needs sanding, they will probably sand it. It just isn't that hard to sand nail pops, I mean a few seconds each. I doubt very seriously they are going to slop spackling or mud on the wall and leave it, it just doesn't make sense.

I know this is going to be controversial, but there is nothing wrong with contractor grade paint after it is applied. A flat latex is a flat latex, there are differences between coverage and application but once on, its on.

As for painted wear, the debate between flat and sheen has been raging a long time now. Flat wears worse but you can touch it up, sheen wears better but you have to repaint your whole house because your kids always touch one spot on the wall. The higher the sheen, the more sins it will show.

If you paid for a level 5 drywall finish then you should have great looking walls with higher sheen. If not, you should look closely at your walls to see what is going to work best.

• Kate
    2 years ago

I would have the painter or drywall guy fix them, even if you have to repaint the entire wall. At least it will be ready to take to that next level of perfect should they not do it up to your standards. Make sure they remove the nails or screws, and replace in a different spot and not just screw them in tighter or they will pop again. All that is a pain and even if they are willing to just do some of it let them.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Get the nail pops fixed with screws. Our home is 30 years old. We did a huge renovation of most our rooms and then we painted our entire inside of our home. First, we fixed all the cosmetic cracks and nail pops. We did the nail pops with screws and spackle with careful sanding and then priming. We used flat high end paint You can’t tell where the cracks or nail pops are now ( about a year later). Ask your contractor what is his process to fix the nail pops. Consider asking for an appropriated refund if you choose to fix them yourself. As my Dad always said: If you want something done right then do it yourself.

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

How do you know the contractor will do terrible patching? If it's within warranty, I'd be inclined to allow the contractor to fix the problem since they seem to want to fix the problem.

How long have you been living in the house?

• ElGato Caliente
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I might have pictures of some messy paint from past repairs or as current but needless to say they came an fixed the minors pops today. Scrapd them and filled them. I checked the work throughout i think its ok, though im no expert.

I was clear about checking with me and being neat etc. And he was largely. After i ok'd his work he cleaned up drop tarps etc.

Im in meetings etc. And didnt want to leave the meeting to go upstairs for clean up inspection.

Of course theres spackle on the floor and stuff laying around. And while its 5min to clean it up im like cmon. Why is it so hard to not leave a mess.

• ElGato Caliente
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also they did not screw or remove any of the pops they scraped them all. From the scraped area there way only a void left from the removed raised areas. No visible heads.

So they filled them all. Sanding/ paint tomorrow.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

When I repair nail pops, I always put in a second screw an inch or two away from the pop to make sure that the sheetrock is tight to the stud. Then I do the patching. If they just scraped off the pops and refilled them you could see many of these pops come back.