Interior colors in a tiny house? Ours is going to have white cabinets

Jennifer Erickson
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Comments (20)

• Jennifer Erickson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My mind is on overload from looking at way tooo many paint samples! Our tiny house will have the same layout but with white cabinets and lighter wood looking floors. I want to stay in a neutral paint pallet, but not be boring plain white. I am leaning toward SW Anew gray with pure white trim? I also have NO idea what to paint the ceiling. The ceilings are vaulted with lots of windows on the high side. Thank you for any help you can give me :)

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Gray is on the way out, IMO. I did a whole house in it back in the 90's so I tired of it before it was on trend. I would go all white to match the cabs. Add color with countertops, furnishings, rugs, curtains, bedding and accessories plus art (and NOT corny big box store wall signs!) Look for apartment sized and multi-use furniture that won't hog all the floor space and will look nicely proportioned to the space. Here's a neat multi-purpose coffee table for example.

Nesnesis Modern Round Lift-top Nesting Wood Coffee Table with Drawers, White/Black · More Info

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

You have a small space with little room for decorative items to bring color and life to the space. I would probably go with white walls and a colored ceiling that is tied to the space with the furnishings, accent rug and accessories.

Pick a color that makes your heart sing.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Inspiration can come from anything you love, especially good if it's hung in the open area -- and paint ties in with it.

Houzz: "Like the treasured painting, shown here, the home's color palette revolves around shades of gray and white with bright accessories. The accessories change by season."

Eemnes home · More Info

• Jennifer Erickson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for so many great ideas!!! I’m going out of range for the night so I’m going to get to the point. I like the BM linen white for the walls, white trim and what for the ceiling? I like the wood ceiling but I don’t know what would look best? I can’t wait to get back into service in the morning and see all the great ideas you all have 🤗

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

@Jennifer Erickson

This house has a similar paint scheme to mine. Actually, the layout is very much like yours (the kitchen is similar, but at the farthest reach from the front door). This whole article was helpful to me: loads of photos.

Reference: Small House Bliss

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

@Jennifer Erickson See how the ceilings are the same color as the walls? That's what I'd recommend.

Traditional houses might have a contrasting or white ceiling, but that's not a requirement. In a small house, a color change is a much bigger deal than in a big house. It can look really busy. And your ceiling is low along one side, so with any contrasting color, it will be right in the middle of your sight line. And then, you'll have two shades as background for your palette of furnishings......

With the one shade, your eyes continue upwards, and don't really take in where the ceiling and wall meet. This gives the illusion of BIGGER and airier.

This is what I mean about a small house being a different paradigm than a standard or large house. Choices IMO should be commensurate with the scale. And while I'm on this topic, your builder has no taste (and evidently doesn't really understand that scale matters in interior choices)!!! The ceiling looks like it's falling on you. As for the furnishings..... "country shabby chic" in an "industrial" house? Just NO.

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

Keep in mind, you can always change a paint color later.

I hate to break it to you, too, although the paint color choice is quite an obnoxious challenge, you are far from being done with choosing! In fact, it sound like you’re just beginning!

IME there are endless choices still to come, the flooring won’t be available, the builder goes with a different cabinet manufacturer, the windows aren’t exactly what the builder thought they would be, the refrigerator is no longer Energy Star, and your financing requires Energy Star, your siding color has been discontinued, yadda yadda yadda.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

@tangerinedoor I don't think there is an official definition of a tiny house, but I have read quite a bit about tiny homes and have often seen them classified as either a tiny house or a tiny house on wheels. One is built on a foundation and the other on a trailer. Depending on the author they may describe a tiny house as anything under 1000 sf, 600 sf or 400 sf. Some make a distinction and define small as under 1000 sf and tiny as under 600 sf.

• Jennifer Erickson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My floor choices 😬

• Jennifer Erickson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tangerinedoor here is the modifications that we are making to add a mudroom. Thank you so much for the great ideas! Keep em coming :)

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Flooring and wall color should both be either warm or cool. Don't mix them together. The decision about them has to happen simultaneously. I would select the floor, since there are limited options, and then the wall color. Paint can be custom mixed to your needs. My own tendency is to go with something that looks like a natural wood color, not "colorized!" I would also avoid anything with lots of graining that makes a visual pattern and keeps the floor looking busy. Lighter colors won't show every speck and dust bunny. From your options, I would say the one on bottom and the second one from the top are most neutral and one seems warm while the other is cool. Of course, you can see them yourself, and I'm just on the web which can distort.

Jennifer Erickson thanked decoenthusiaste
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Just saw your photo of the model. A few hints that will make it more custom. The light by the door should be more impressive - 1/3 of the door's height. Don't paint the corner trim pieces in a contrasting color to the siding. That just boxes in the house and makes it look even smaller. The style of door on that model is in a different style than the more contemporary windows. See if you can upgrade to eliminate the glass in the door. It won't add that much light to the interior and you have to stand on tiptoe to see out it anyway.

Jennifer Erickson thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Jennifer Erickson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste thank you for the help, it is very appreciated! I know what I like I just need some major pointers...lol :)

• Jennifer Erickson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste what do you think about SW Naval with black windows, no window trim and a grey metal roof? Or maybe cedar trim to match the porch we will build later? I like the Anjou Pear for exterior accent.

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

I have those identical outdoor lights by the doors, lol. I like them alot, though it's so weird to see a light with no bulb-like bulb. I put my house numbers underneath them, and the light didn't look as small.

I'm looking at the plan..... Are you on the verge of the "aging in place" years? Your bathroom is too small if you are IMO. It's 5x8 or so? The shower is roll-in? IMO make the LR a foot smaller, and make the bathroom a foot wider.

Has this building design been appraised for financing? IME this design (when I tried it) was hard to get appraised at or above the cost of construction. And now lumber prices have gone through the roof.

Do you have a utility room somewhere in the plan? Like for a WD, air exchanger, hot water supply, electric box, solar hookup, electric backup batteries, etc.? I'd have done Tesla batteries in a heartbeat (my state has a HUGE incentive), but I simply don't have the wall space! I did have them increase capacity to the electric box and run an empty conduit in case I ever want to charge an electric car. I guess my thought about all this is to plan now for alternative energy, sustainability, etc., because power in houses is heading into alternativity FAST! Retro-fitting will be expensive.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I like naval for the siding, pear for the front door and white windows and trim. Do they offer white or aluminum metal roofing? That would be the best option, IMO.

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

Get whatever roofing might be compatible later with solar.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

for the ceiling, I'd do the base white straight from the can. whites will always look a little darker on the ceiling. You don't have to tint the Base 1 if you prefer not to. I've used the base on trim molding and ceilings all the time.

Here are some other colors for the walls. see if you like any of them

I have Simply White and Light Pewter in my own home. I think Simply white is the perfect white. not too warm, not too cold. Light Pewter isn't a gray or beige. and it works w/white oak flooring in just about any stain color

if you have some decent natural light, SW Creamy will look like this on the walls:

BM Swiss Coffee

BM Sea Salt. The white is prob Oxford White or something similar

BM Pale Oak and White Dove on the trim

BM Collingwood and Simply White