Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Too many choices - Bosch Dishwasher

Kendrah
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Does anyone have recommendations for which model of Bosch dishwasher we should get? We love our current, are moving and want another one, I'm just overwhelmed by too many choices. We are getting a custom panel (woo-hoo!) but don't know if we should get the 800 or 300 or which of those to select:

800 series SHVM78Z53N, SHV878ZD3N

Modestly quieter and claims to have better drying system - though the only plastic we use is storage container lids: $1,199

300 series SHVM63W53N, SHV863WD3N

Has essentially the same features as our current dishwasher, including the old-school 3rd rack, rather than the flexible 3rd rack: $899

Bosch website lists them all.

(Note- Not my kitchen, just a pretty pic of one I adore!0

Mill Valley Cottage to Home Transformation · More Info

Comments (12)

• Egg Foam
    2 years ago

This brochure may be helpful (see the big comparison chart toward the end): https://media3.bosch-home.com/Documents/17184881_BSH21-2029_Dish_Brochure_BENCHMARK_SPREADS_HIRES.pdf

Kendrah thanked Egg Foam
  • nhb22
    2 years ago

Kendrah - We are getting the Bosch model SHX878ZD5N. I do not know much about them except that I have a cousin that says Bosch DW are great! When I was visiting, I fell in love with the 3rd rack for silverware. Liked that it could be lined up in a row. I am OCD.

Could you tell me what the difference is in the "old school" 3rd rack, and the "flexible" 3rd rack? Obviously, the 800 series has the flexible rack. I just don't know what that means.

BTW - I have read that the newer Bosch dishwashers are not as good as the old ones.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nhb22 - I love the third rack. It saves so much room not having a silverware basket in the lower rack. If you look at the silverware rack from above it is split into three sections. The old school rack is one stationary piece. The new rack the outer two sections have the ability to tilt down, sort of like wings, giving more clearnce for taller objects such as ramakins. Of course when those wings are down, it infringes on space in the second rack. I'm fine with them being stationary as we really use it for silverware and spatulas.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Andrew - that pdf was super helpful thanks.

I'm so disappointed to hear that new Bosch dishwashers are not as good as the old ones. Why mess with perfection? It makes me even more inclined to go with the 300 series because it sounds more like the one we have instead of the newfandangled 800 series. Automatic door opening, light touch sensor buttons are not things I need or want.

• boba1
    2 years ago

I had deliver May 18th the Bosch SHXM88Z75N. the main difference between the 2 800 series models you have selected vs. the 800 series model I have is: Mine has MyWay 3rd rack, 40 dB sound level rating, and a 6th option for Eco. This is the best cleaning dishwasher I've owned, even surpassing the GSD1200 GE PotScrubber I owned for 19 years. CrystalDry is the bet drying design I've ever had, far surpassing the KitchenAid produced Kenmore Elite with the Extra Dry & Fan driven circulation. My Cuisinart MultiClad Pro cookware is gleaming again. And burned on/baked on remnants from oven roasted BBQ ribs was completely obliterated without a trace. The only cycles I use are Auto and Crystal Dry; or Heavy and CrystalDry. IF I add Sanitize option to either of those two cycle combinations, my dishware loads are as dry as the good old days of how well KitchenAid dishwashers dried from the 1960s and 1970s.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

Sound level would be the thing that's most important to me, and that's why I chose a 500 over a 300 (my kitchen and living room are essentially in the same space). The 800 is even quieter, but that was a price too far - and I'm happy with the original 3rd rack and don't need it "my way".

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Kendrah and boba1 - Are the "flexible" and "MyWay" racks the same thing? And if the rack wings are in the upright position, can the entire rack be used for silverware? We use a lot of it!

I agree that the sound factor is important. We also have a big open room. I chose the 800 series because my cousin recommended it. She had two in two separate homes in the last 10 years. She just built again and ordered another.

boba1 - Thank you for the tips on settings. It's always hard when you move into a new house and you have no idea how to use the appliances. Nor do you have time to learn how to use them properly when trying to get settled in.

• Cadyren
    2 years ago

I purchased a 500 in February, it has the flex rack & it is great. The My Way rack is something different, but I don't know what additional features it has. Love my DW.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Thanks to Andrew F and his link, I found out that my model comes with the Flex Rack. After looking at a video, when the wings are up, I will have the same surface as the Standard rack. Room for lots of silverware. Yay!

• boba1
    2 years ago

Well I am utterly surprised and shocked. Yesterday I made some hamburger and pasta soup in my CrockPot. The liner was completely and totally clean, no starchy remnant, just clean liner. Over the years, NONE of my previous dishwashers could totally clean these and I know of several other people who didn't have their fully cleaned either. I just used Heavy with Sani option.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

Good to know!!!