Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hali_gloeggler

Pental quartz - volakano (new color)

Hbg28
2 years ago

I’m looking for white quartz with some gray and beige/brown. We came across volakano and it is very unique! The only problem is I can’t get a good view of the slab in person and the samples are so small it is hard to appreciate. The only online pics are the ones from pental. I’m hoping to see install pics from someone’s home- not a professional photographer. Has anyone uses this??

Comments (78)

• seamom3
    2 years ago

KtMc Houzz, that's great! Thanks so much for responding. I'm going ahead with the Volakano!

• seamom3
    2 years ago

Rachelle Pirotte, I'm not sure about backsplash either. I have simply white cabinets. Someone told me when I select the backsplash I should not ignore the counter but to give more weight to complimenting the cabinet colour because they are in the same sightline.

• Rachelle Pirotte
    2 years ago

I ordered lakeside by kate lo today for backsplash. its a basic 3/12 matte white subway tile. we will see 🤞🏻

• HBG28
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We have Volakano and LOVE it! big splurge but best choice we made for our kitchen. i also revolved my backsplaah choice around it and very hapoy with the way it looks. its riviera Blanc tile by equipe and it works perfectly with the white cabinets and the volakano because it has different shades of white. it also comes in a beautiful gray variation but i needed to go warmer because lf my paint choice.

(Excuse mess in pic)

• HBG28
    2 years ago

• Nicole B
    2 years ago

I love this quartz! I haven’t seen this in person but seeing pics online it looks similar to Cambria Ironsbridge. Ironsbridge is beautiful, but I’ve been looking for a good quality alternative with similar movement- only for the sake of savings during all these rising costs during our whole house renovation!

Going to try to visit Vicostone showroom this week.

Thank you for everyone who have posted their beautiful countertops! It is incredibly helpful.

• sabrown72
    2 years ago

@KtMc Houzz - I’m in boston too - where did you get the quartz? it is gorgeous!

• KtMc Houzz
    2 years ago

Hi Sabrown-

I purchased through a designer/fabricator, but saw the slabs on my own in person at Architectural Surfaces down in Mansfield. I don’t think Architectural Surfaces sells direct to consumer, but you could always ask!

• KtMc Houzz
    2 years ago

@Seamom3 - yay! I’m confident you’ll love it. It’s the nicest thing in my kitchen, by far. Post pics when you’ve got it installed!

• Rachelle Pirotte
    2 years ago

Also someone that has installed volocano ate there little black specs in it periodicaly? tryijg to figure out if this is jsut mine or its everyones.

• Tatiana
    last year

Wanted to hear people’s thoughts. When I saw the full slab it seemed like the movement was bit manufactured Once installed did you feel like that went away?

• Katie Frame
    last year

Does anyone have any updated pictures of Volakano quartz? Could it work with a darker beige cabinet like a tapestry beige by BM? Thanks!

• Amy Bartles
    last year

@KtMc Houzz also in Boston area, curious what fabricator you used-getting higher quotes than you

• KtMc Houzz
    last year

@Amy Bartles - we worked with Kassandra at Granite Guy Plus in Natick. We purchased in early 2021, so wouldn’t be surprised if prices have climbed since then :( Really happy with them though - the installation and fabrication work was really well done. I couldn’t find a seam if I tried.

@Tatiana - once they’re installed it’s much harder to see the whole pattern - I don’t find the movement to look manufactured at all. There’s enough going on that you don’t see any repeats or overly “patterny” sections.

• Ali S
    last year

Does anyone have a picture of the Volakano quartz with white oaks cabinets?

• HU-620218192
    last year

Here’s ours….just installed last wek

• Karen graham
    last year

Just curious, is the gray fairly prominent as opposed to brownish tones? Some are calling it having amber tones which I think of as orangish? I saw a full slab last year in Fl and thought it was gorgeous! Can’t find it in Stl and Vicostone sent me a very small sample and I can’t determine the coloration, also would you say the overall background is creamy or whitish? We are doing white cabinets and I don’t want it to clash, hoping to use it in our Fl renovation but won’t be able to see a slab for two weeks. We are much too afraid to order this without physically seeing a full slab! I just remember it being a very beautiful pattern with a lot of movement

• HU-620218192
    last year

Hi Karen! There are no orangish tones in Volakano. The slab company only gives a small sample, which makes it very hard to imagine what a counter would look like. I went online and looked at pictures and hated it! To me, in pictures the veining looks very dark and zebra stripes…..I hated it! But I loved the sample so much and I was torn. I called the slab company and they called their distributor, who offered to pull a full slab for us to go and see in person. In person, my heart stopped because of how gorgeous it was.

The background is white with soft, light gray watercolor-like streaking. The dark color is a medium brown. Overall, I see bright white, soft gray and griege color. Our cabinets are a matte white and the Vilakano complimented it very nicely.

Pictures really don’t so the slab justice…if you live the sample, I think you’ll love the slab as well. Call your company and see if they can find a whole slab for you to see in person.

• Karen graham
    last year

Your counters are absolutely gorgeous! we will hopefully be able to see a full slab within the next two weeks….. I also love your hardware! Thank you for responding I’m really leaning towards choosing this but when I got my sample it was so creamy and bland looking….. I’ll post some pics as I proceed!

• Karen graham
    last year

BTW a looks like you are painting what color paint are you using? Are you going to do a backsplash?

• HU-620218192
    last year

That’s our old paint color. I believe it’s Granite Dust (maybe SW). We are going to do a backsplash but not sure what. Yes, please post pics because we’d love to see!

• HU-954972456
    last year

@hbg28 I love your backsplash. Do you remember name and manufacturer of the backsplash?  I got Volakano countertop too and love it.

• HU-954972456
    last year

@KtMc Houzz, love your backsplash?  What is it called?  I have the Volakano countertop. Love it but having trouble finding a backsplash.

• seamom3
    last year

@KtMc Houzz, 8 months later and the volokano counter is now in. Absolutely love it! I’ve attached a few pics - looks much better in person.

• KtMc Houzz
    last year

Looks gorgeous (as does the rest of your kitchen!! I love the skinny shaker(?) cabinet fronts). We still love ours - still looks like the day it was installed and is super easy to clean.

• KtMc Houzz
    last year

@HU-954972456

Just seeing this now, but I don’t recommend our backsplash after living with it for awhile. Some of that’s down to installation issues, but I hate the light grout (staining!) and I notice all the little surface irregularities in the tiles every time I look at it. If I had to do it over, I’d go with something that went nicely with a darker color grout, and would do a solid slab of quartz behind the cooktop.

• T E
    last year

I would like to see the slab picture from above in your kitchens! Most people take it and all we see is cabinets and tile.
    So many thanks!

• Gavin
    last year

Thank you all for the pictures and information as it is so helpful. We also are looking at this quartz as a possiblity and wonder if anyone has a picture of this quartz with white cabinets, wood base island and brick backsplash? So hard to match up brick and thought this might be a good option. ( but needs some movement). Many thanks

• Diana Andrews
    last year

Perfect timing Gavin. Mine is getting installed on Friday or next week if not. Send me a message and I’ll post after the counters are in (but tile won’t be in yet). I did sw pure white cabinets and a white oak island, although it isn’t stained yet either.

• Diana Andrews
    last year
    last modified: last year

Couple questions about volakano, did anyone need to use silicone (caulking) for theirs? Need to decide if they should use clear or a color match as I am using some in a bathroom with a backsplash section. Seamom3, can you share what blacksplash tile you used please? Super pretty! HGB28 did you get the Blanc (white) color and do you know what grout color you chose? If you have a close up photo you could share I'd super appreciate it! Love both of these options and need to decide ASAP what tile to use for mine. Thanks!

• seamom3
    last year

@diana Andrews- I used volakano in the kitchen and the powder room. Attached is a pic of powder room counter at backsplash. I think the caulking is clear. The kitchen backsplash tile is Centura Slash -white and the grout is TEC Silverado. Good luck with your reno!

• Diana Andrews
    last year

You’re amazing! Thank you!!! Do you like the clear silicone in the bathroom or do you wish they went with one that color matched instead? I need to decide tomorrow! Thank you!!

• Sally T
    last year

@seamom3 - do you have a link to rhe exact tile? what size are the tiles? Thanks!

• Hbg28
    Original Author
    last year

My backsplash is the blanc color. The grout color is fresh Lilly and I believe they had a matching silicon caulk. It’s a light greige color.

• seamom3
    last year

@diana Andrews- I never notice the clear caulking so I must be happy with it! 😀 I think if I would have colour-matched my eye would be drawn to the straight coloured line of caulking. I attached another pic - of the corner - I have a side and back splash. I hope this helps.

• seamom3
    last year

@sally T - 3”x12” — the TEC Silverado grout also has a matching caulking colour but I did use clear.

https://www.centura.ca/en/products/tile/ceramic-tiles/slash

• seamom3
    last year

@diana Andrews- another pic taken a step back given you probably wouldn’t look at your caulking 4” away!😀

• sabrown72
    last year

Thanks @seamom3! that link wouldn’t work for me - maybe because I’m not in Canada? - is this it? https://www.tilesdirect.net/slash-white-3x12/

• seamom3
    last year

@sabrown72 - that’s the tile!

• Gigiof4
    last year

I also have volakona installed in my kitchen both as a countertop and backsplash. The caulk is barely noticeable and it’s white. I love it!

• heathercalabro
    last year

My bathroom floor is a white carrerra mosaid with carrerra floor base being installed. I ordered a 4 x 4 (only size they would send me from vicotone). We viewed a whole slab i person and all seemed to go together well. Once I got the sample home, i am wondering whether the Volkano has too much of a warm white (ie goldish) background that will clash with the true carrerra marble on the baseboards around the bath. I'm wanting to use the same countertop as I do for the bathrooom shower bench and the shower 4x4 jam that holds the glass but it butts up to the carrerra mosais outside of the shower and on the perimerter base boards. Anyone have an opinion on whether the undertones in the volkano will clash with the undertones in the carrera floor and baseboard?

• Diana Andrews
    last year

Volakano is not a bright white. It’s definitely a warmer white with gray. I have it with sw pure white paint and it looks great but definitely a different shade.

• seamom3
    last year

@heathercalabro - my kitchen and powder room are volakano - I think the warm veining will clash with the carrara. I renovated 2 bathrooms last year and went to every quartz manufacturer showroom in the Toronto area and there are a lot of them! The closest I came to carrara was Lucent Quartz - Arctic White and I love it. If your tiler uses the shower wall tiles on the wall of your curb you will have a divider so that the Quartz is not directly beside the carrara. I think that’s the main thing - you don’t want them butted against each other because it will be obvious. What are you using on the vanity top?

• seamom3
    last year

……vanity counter - you may want to use the same on the threshold and bench.

• heathercalabro
    last year

@seamom3 I am planning on using the same countertop material going on top as the vanity on the light mushroom color cabinets and putting it also on all three sides of the shower glass threshold and the shower bench inside of the shower. The tile on the shower walls is Bedrosian Cloe in the white shade which has different shades of warm whites and almost light grey variations depending on the tile piece and on the shower floor pan is a coordinating warm grey penny tile, also Bedrosian. The Valkano seems to work with both of these in the shower as there is no carrerra in the shower itself. Rather, the carrera mosaic is on the floor all outside of the shower in the Bedrosian Blomma pattern which has varying shades of white and carerra greys. So the Valkano which would be on all three sides of the bottom shower 4 inch threshold would abut the carrera mosaic floor outside of the shower area itself. Thanks for the insight as I think you are right that it may be a problem in this area having them right next to each other near the shower opening.

I'm not putting the Carrera base board anywhere inside of the shower itself. Rather, was planning to use it around the perimeter bathroom walls outside of the shower as floor board instead of using a wood baseboard. Thanks so much for your picture and input. It is very helpful. The Valkano really is the prettiest solid surfact quartz I have seen.

• seamom3
    last year

I just looked up bedrosian blomma - beautiful! You may want to consider carrara for the counter, bench and threshold - assuming it’s an adult bathroom.

You are right though, the volakano would look great with your cloe wall tile and light mushroom vanity.

Good luck - I’m sure it will be beautiful! Post some pics when you’re done.

• Karen graham
    last year

@Diana Andrews. Is your tile Cloe?

• Diana Andrews
    last year

No it’s from Tile Shop. NRSWBO 4x4. Bianco white. It’s says it has variation but now that it’s installed it looks almost even toned. https://www.tile-shop.com/products/stow/stow.html

• Renee Michelle
    9 months ago

@HBG28 what backsplash is that? Gorgeous!

• heathercalabro
    last month
    last modified: last month

So heres how it turned out… bathroom that is is. we decided to go with a white carrerra instead of the volkano… with the bedrosian floor and shower tiles.