Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koganroach

Pls help with large, carpeted, dated, combined living/dining room.

Taedra Kogan
2 years ago

Hi all! Just signed a 2 year lease on this rental. I need all new furniture, rugs, lighting...everything....and don’t want to spend a fortune as it’s not my forever home (I’m a master at finding great pieces on Craigslist, Offer up, etc. - just don’t know what to buy!! This room is so odd because the ugly fireplace isn’t centered from wall directly across - and there is a randomly placed window between dining room windows and fireplace. Furniture arrangement itself is killing me! I’m dreaming of a warm, cozy, inviting living room to spend time with family and watching movies and reading. I can’t change carpet and too large space to paint :/. Would love any suggestions! I removed the awful curtains and will replace chandelier. Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (16)

• Taedra Kogan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow. Amazing! Thank you SO much for these ideas! They are fantastic!!

• housegal200
    2 years ago

You're welcome. The key thing is to measure any pieces you're considering. Many a Design Dilemma, the majority of them I would guess, involve pieces that are way too big for the space. Look for very comfortable "apartment size" pieces that you can bring with you in a couple years but that fit this space now.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You want all new furniture and it's "too large to paint"???? You have carpet - why would rugs be on the list?

Draw the space, with all windows, fireplace and add DIMENSIONS TO ALL. Anything else is spitting in wind. and wasting money in mistakes

• Rachel Lee
    2 years ago

First question is whether there needs to be a tv in the space. If not, I’d get a L sectional to put in front of the big windows, leave space behind for a console( lamps, plants...). If yes, just a long sofa, same placement, tv on wall opposite fireplace. Coffee table, one chair if sectional, two if sofa.

• Taedra Kogan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes - it will be our TV room. Are you recommend sofa against plain wall, TV to right of fireplace and two chairs facing out the window?

• Taedra Kogan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

JAN MOYER - you are completely right! Painting is the easiest and cheapest thing I can do! I thought I could put large area rugs to define two different spaces. Not sure what you mean by adding dimension...

• Rachel Lee
    2 years ago

I’m recommending sofa in front of windows, tv opposite fireplace, two chairs opposite sofa.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Now and for the future, your best basic investment will be a 3-seat sofa and two upholstered armchairs.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Measure, draw,,,,,,,as you measure, Use the tape measure and a BIG one. Write down the feet and inches. Use 1/4 inch to ONE foot; Not hard and great investment of you time....and ultimately your MONEY. It's called "plan, before you BUY.

https://www.wikihow.com/Draw-a-Floor-Plan-to-Scale

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I agree with measuring well, and I also agree that a 3-seater sofa and two chairs would be your best option. When you move, you would be able to most likely use both in a new place, or you would perhaps be able to either use the sofa or the chairs. And it gives you the most flexibility with options for furniture placement. Also, since you would like to use the space for tv watching and entertaining with family and friends, the sofa and 2 chairs would be the best fit, I think.

I would keep it simple. I would not paint. I would also switch what you are planning - and I would instead use the space in front of fireplace for the dining area.

If you’d like, you could bring in some rugs for more definition; and you could do a swag plug-in chandelier in dining area.

I don’t know your style, so these are just some general ideas/views. But if you like any of the items i’ve used, I do have links for them :)

Another chandelier:

Below, a view with swag plug-in chandelier in dining area. They come in a variety of styles, this is just one:

Below, with rug to define living room:.

And I would put the tv to the left of the fireplace - by that wall/window - on a floating/mobile tv stand/cart/console with wheels. That way, the tv can be seen from dining area, but can also be swung around to view from the living room area. It gives you the most flexibility for tv placement in this arrangement; and I see that there is an outlet right there, below that window.

I would place the sofa on the long, window-free wall that faces the dining area and windows.

And maybe a plant on right side of fireplace, and some art or a mirror over fireplace.

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

Sofa placement. (I am not Picasso... ;) Hopefully it’s good enough to show the general idea.

• Shelby Hayes
    2 years ago

A new light is a must. A round wood table would look nice in the area due to its odd shape, or oval. Above the mantel place a TV on a swivel armed so that it can be viewed from all areas. Place a couch in front of the fireplace in the middle of the floor. Add a long table to the short wall by the door. So that you can walk between the back of the couch and the wall. Place 2 comfy chairs by large front window with a small table for reading and coffee. :) nice curtains and possible a large ottoman under the window by the fireplace. If not using the fireplace, you could add some live plants on floor running up the mantel.

• PRO
    Everything Home
    2 years ago

Why not try a sofa facing the fireplace floating in the room. Then you could do the dining area on the other side and get a new chandelier.

You Want Warm and Cozy? · More Info

Luxe Living in Zionsville · More Info

Ranch Reimagined: Living Room · More Info

• Taedra Kogan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Love all the ideas!! Thank you so much!! We actually found this super soft, comfy Italian leather designer sofa set on Craigslist for $300 - got them cleaned, repaired and delivered all for u see $800. Now trying to figure out placement, rug, ottoman/coffee table, accessories, etc. will move the big mirror because not great there :/. Please lmk if u have any ideas! I prefer a mid century modern look - or kind of bohemian/scandi look. Thank u!!

• Taedra Kogan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

They are Ligne Roset