Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnaber

paint wall charcoal

Donna Bercovitch
2 years ago

Someone suggested I paint this wall charcoal…would like your opinions please.. keep white or charcoal, or any other suggestions would be welcome..thank you..

Comments (25)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I would not. I’d probably do a pretty textured wallpaper. Or leave it white.

(Is the ceiling a mirror?)

• Donna Bercovitch
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ceiling is not a mirror… it is a special product..by a company called extenso. The colour is taupe grey to make the ceilings look double the height..

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

You could perhaps paint the niches charcoal especially if you choose artwork that is very bright. That might provide more contrast and make your artwork pop. Don't think I would paint the entire wall a dark color like charcoal though.

• PRO
    Tomlyn construction
    2 years ago

As a designer I love the charcoal in the niche idea. Those paintings really WILL pop

• User
    2 years ago

It will completely alter the look of your art if there is charcoal in the art. (On my screen it appears there is charcoal in your art), It will also diminish the impact of your shiny pendants from certain angles.

Are you dissatisfied with the white? There are some people who want to paint everythng they see gray.

• Donna Bercovitch
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank u Norwood when u say niches the two spaces next to fireplace… that’s what I was thinking…

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The objective would be to "hide" the TV? I wouldn't bother. I like how your art contrasts against the light wall and think a dark wall would reduce that. Maybe just the fireplace chimney? Perhaps someone can mock up the options for you.

Ceiling treatment is very cool! I would consider a twin-nish cabinet for the left side, meaning a closed cabinet rather than open shelves but I'm a strong fan of symmetry. What you have works and you seem to have an interesting collection of objects. I hope they hold interesting memories for you.

ETA: Is is this product for your ceiling? Never heard of it before and I'm in Quebec.

• Donna Bercovitch
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ital ,I was just thinking the walls on each side of the fireplace only…would my art still pop. And perhaps maybe the fireplace would stand out…

• User
    2 years ago

My suggestion is that you find a different location on your property for the tree.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Before you get out the paint, test the idea! Tape large black poster board behind your art on those walls to see if the art pieces "pop". I've always interpreted a "pop" to mean something stands out. Imo, contrast makes things stand out. Dark against light and vice-versa.

• Donna Bercovitch
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tartanmeup…yes I’m in Quebec.. this product came from Europe now a company here in Quebec does it..it’s like a place stretched and heat shrunk on the ceiling… looks like glass comes in tons of colours.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

It has a European feel, for certain. Suits your modern space. I can also imagine it in a more traditional dining room. I'm intrigued. Their website gives no hint of pricing though. :( That's always a sign it's out of my reach. Lol

• Donna Bercovitch
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Great idea tartan me up.. I’ll get large poster board to give me an idea on the look… extenzo ceiling. They have a website.. check it out

• Donna Bercovitch
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tartanmeup….not really expensive at all. Changes the entire look of your place. My ceiling took a day to install… u would be surprised on the price

• User
    2 years ago

you might prefer the way the art looks on a charcoal wall. I only wanted to point out it will look very different. As an experiment, take them off the wall and prop them against the back of your sofa.

• User
    2 years ago

PS: I think leaving the wall behind the TV and what’s under the mantle white if you paint the adjacent walls charcoal would look odd. Your black TV and black square of a firebox are probably the least interesting things in your room, so I don’t think making them stand out will help the space visually.

• User
    2 years ago

Pps: If it were me I would replace the mantle with raw wood and do the firebox surround in spice or rust or terracotta, something in that direction, but that’s just me…

• Donna Bercovitch
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ital mover. The mantle and fireplace wall is solid stone I don’t think the pic really shows that and the mantle is concrete.

• User
    2 years ago

Ahhh… my device didn’t indicate that at all.

Flanking with fields of charcoal and leaving the center white … Will you paint the soffit or leave it as is? What hue is the space above the soffit?

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

I used a tool that visualizes tile, but this would be the general look with a charcoal paint.

The tool tiled more than that one wall.

Your other room paint would stay as is, of course, since you are just considering the one accent wall there.

• motupeg
    2 years ago

You have a beautiful home!

• PRO
    StarDesignsbyCharmeng LLC
    2 years ago

Love your space! Charcoal may be a bit dark, unless you are going for a darker look and feel. I'd do something in the middle. That way you keep the light and have a Beautiful accent of color. Love your Artwork and the Orange tone would be a Awesome Pop! I'm inspired by the colors in your Artwork!

• itsourcasa
    2 years ago

I wouldn't. We did exactly that, painted the two walls on either side of our fireplace charcoal gray. I've lived with it for two months but am painting it lighter today, it really made the space too dark.

• Donna Bercovitch
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank u freedomplace1… gives me the idea. Thank u