Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marybeth_ryan41

1970s brown cedar shingle colonial

Mary Beth Ryan
2 years ago

Brown, brown and brown! Bought this house a few years ago. Dont love color and want to brighten up. As you will note, part of the front is brick. Also, the windows are brown including the metal storm frames. They are in good shape and don't wantbto replace. Any cost effective ideas on how to spruce up. Landscaping is a work in progress. Fyi, we are located in New England. Any ideas are appreciated.

Comments (7)

• jck910
    2 years ago

First remove the shutters. Shingles look to be wood (cedar), are they stained or painted? Find a tan/beige color that complements the brick and the brown windows for the shingles. Paint the doors a brighter color.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

I like it just like it is. It fits so nicely into your woodsy surroundings, and looks like it just belongs there. I would maybe paint the doors a brighter color, and new landscaping. Some colorful pots of flowers sitting by the sides of the doorways, and some flowers in the landscaping, and your house would be perfect.

• elcieg
    2 years ago

Take off the shutters!

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

It’s a beautiful classic, perfect as is. I live in the East Bay, where there are lots of beautiful brown shingles. I would not paint or stain it a “color”, I see this around occasionally and it usually looks like a mistake. New door color, and the shutters, perhaps. Landscape for added color. It’s really gorgeous, and you are so fortunate to own this home.

• houssaon
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would go with a creamy white or a warm gray on the shakes and the siding above the window. Get larger lights. Paint the front door a deep red. Get rid of the shutters. Add more bushes to the foundation, but make sure you don't plant too close to the side of the house and allow room to grow.

Cottage red is a great color. Edgecomb Gray would look good on the siding. So would Amherst Gray.

• phassink
    2 years ago

Do a search on the internet for brown cedar house with white windows. I think if you lightened the windows, you would add a classic style to your already beautiful home. The color of your home is fine, there is just too much of it. Disclaimer: I live in a red brick home painted Behr adobe brown with white windows.

And my front door is orange.

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

I can't even see the shutters in the photo that everyone's on about.

That's not at all a "colonial" house!

I notice that you said the landscape was under construction, but I'd put my money there instead of on the house. It's making the house look forlorn. I think there needs to be a significant pathway to the front door.

Maybe a better match for the brown window frames, but this idea:

Exterior Palettes · More Info