Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristinpmom

Need suggestions for elevation ideas on remodel of 70s rock ranch

kristinpmom
2 years ago

We are going to be toning down the color variation in the rock w a thin lime wash and also will be having mortar added to be more flush w the face of the rocks. also, i am replacing the fromt door and adding sidelights. and the front of the house will have LOTS more windows to let in more light inside. the front will be a sort of courtyard (due to fence and gate at road for added privacy).

i would love ANY general suggestions on how to update the exterior of this 70s rock ranch home!!

Also, I have very specific questions i wd love feedback on:

assuming i add a substantial entry gable, should i do something on the front left of the house to mimic it?

i have chosen a simple door (pic below) what color (paint of stain) wd you recommend?

we need to beef up the entrance aesthetically. what wd you recommend?

We are replacing (and moving slightly to the right) the side entrance (on the end of the house). I’m thinking a shed roof over that entrance. Or should i stick with the current gable shape?

any suggestions on trim color? (keeping in mind the slight limewash effect)

i need to replace that red-ish siding on the end of the house... do you think board and batten or horizontal hardie siding? Or....???

Comments (7)

• Susan Davis
    2 years ago

The windows are going to be replaced?

• misecretary
    2 years ago

Couldn't find the correct stone but hope this color gives you an idea. Rather than using white for your lime wash, how about a more grayish color? For reference, I doctored the photo with the trailer in it.

• kristinpmom
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Susan Davis, yes the windows are going to be replaced - big windows, no mullions, w clay trim.

@HALLETT & Co., that's a good question... on the outside, I'm trying to be slightly faithful to the history/architecture of the house. It is on a Texas on the lake, but also within a rural/ranching community. The house is a slightly historic house built by a long-time founding family out here. My inside will be lakehouse meets modern farmhouse (light, clean, w some farmhouse touches).

I chose the existing door because the house felt so busy with the rock variation that I wanted something clean and simple and with lots of glass....? I'm thinking I will paint it to bring attention to the door and help break up the look of the length of that portion of the house...

On an elevation, I don't love a typical ranch house look. I personally love Craftsman or farmhouse. I assumed there was no way to get Craftsman touches here, but your question has me thinking. I don't even know how to define a style I'm going for. I just don't want long, boring.

@misecretary, I didn't know I cd choose different colors on a limewash. That's good to know. Thanks sooo much for the mock-up. I am also hoping there is a way to add a slight/thin limewash where the original colors and variations of natural colors show through.... In other words, I don't want the existing colors covered up, I just want it toned down. It's important to me to keep the history/look of the original house, and I'm also concerned that a completely covered look will (like so many other things) go out of style, and I don't want to have to undo it (if even possible) years down the road. (And we plan to be here for YEARS.)

Thank you all for your replies!! Would love to hear more!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Somehow super white seems wrong for this house. Perhaps a light creamy beige/caramel color would complement the surrounding environment better. I agree with Hallet that your door choice is too MCM for this ranch. If you want more light, look at full glass doors. Or a Dutch door with glass on top. Do you have privacy? A lot of glass means people can see inside.
    Trim color will depend on what you do to the body of the house. Is the roof staying or being replaced?

• kristinpmom
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also - should I add shutters or add interest a different way?

• kristinpmom
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@RedRyder, thanks for the comment and suggestions on doors. We will have privacy - we live on a quiet ranch road, and also will have privacy fence along the road to create a courtyard and for added privacy. Also - I'll be getting privacy glass for door and sidelights, and will have drapes to pull on the windows in front of the house.

The roof is staying - it is relatively new as previous owner had just replaced it a couple of years ago.

Were you saying super white seems wrong referring to white limewash?