Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureinspiredm_6b

Is it too late to plant gladiolus in Zone 6b?

natureinspiredM_ 6B NJ
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I succumbed to another fall planted bulb buying spree and manged to order 50 glads as well. these are not even hardy to my zone (only up to zone 8). I already have some hardy glads but they dont bloom as nicely as the tender kinds - may be that is my subconscious excuse 🤔

The bulbs will arrive tomorrow. Does any of you have some late glads planting experience to share? i was thinking of planting half and storing the rest for spring planting. but not sure if they will stay put until another 9 months or not.

Or shall i plant all now? will glads bloom in October?

i heard some not-supposed- to be-hardy glads easily survive our zone 6 winters. anyone have a success story to share?

i will leave some in ground to see how it goes (my variegated leaf cana actually survived under a layer of dry leaves so i am hopeful).

thanks in advance…

M

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

zone is the expected low temp on the coldest day of winter.. it really means nothing else.. and for that reason is just about useless ...

give us a big city name ...

so we can probably presume you will have to dig them up for winter ...

i am thinking.. you should plant them.. even if they dont bloom.. so they can grow and store more energy in the corm for next year.. rather than trying to store them dry and worrying about them for 8 or 9 months ...

that said.. who is selling them to you at this time of year.. and what do they say about it... i am sort of surprised they accepted the order.. and are shipping them ... my inclination is that they may not be a quality purveyor of quality stock????

anyway .. dont do what many of us probably have done over the years... store them.. and then forget about them for 5 or 10 years.. and then find them and laugh ... after a few choice cuss words ...

just plant them ... and report back ... especially if they bloom ...

ken

• robert567
    2 years ago

You have over two months of warmth, how long would they take if planted in Spring?

You can always dig up half as they die down, leave the rest as an experiment.

• natureinspiredM_ 6B NJ
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks both…i will plant all of the bulbs. the description says bloom time mid summer. so my guess is 8-10 weeks. should start blooming mid to end of September i guess. lets see.

i will plant some closer to foundation and leave in ground to see the results.

the only downside would be the foliage wont be around long enough before frost arrives to rejuvenate the bulbs.

@ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5 those were deeply discounted from https://www.hollandbulbfarms.com. i will update on quality once i receive my shipment. but need to control my impulses. buying plants has become a weekly ritual for me this year. i did not spend a single dime last year (was too shocked with pandemic unfolding) and now i have compansated for last 5 tears i guess 🤭

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

Yes, I agree, I would plant them as well. Me personally, if I tried to store them, as Ken says I would definitely forget about them and find them in a year or ten. Kinda like some dahlia tubers which I've done the same thing with!

I planted some tender glad bulbs here in my zone 6 CT garden years ago, and about a half dozen or so have continually come back every year, much to my surprise and delight! They are in a cutting garden that I am downsizing slowly and will eventually remove, so I'll probably more them but I'm hesitant to do so - messing with a good thing and all that lol. They appear to be multiplying also so maybe I should dig them up and separate and replant. So you may have some luck with yours, especially those near the foundation.

I planted mine as annuals, knowing and expecting that they would not return. If you want to dig and store (I'm not good at that!) then maybe try robert's idea - dig up some and leave some as an experiment. Whatever you do, good luck!

:)

Dee