Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shandra_sullivan

Kitchen Redesign

Shandra Rogers
2 years ago

My husband and I just bought our first house. I want to change the kitchen, but we are on a budget. What minimal things could I do to update? I really didn’t want to paint the cabinets because they are in immaculate shape, they’re just really dated.

Comments (11)

• Suki Mom
    2 years ago

Your kitchen is very nice and neutral! You could change the cabinet hardware, or paint the walls or replace the countertop.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

yellow floor, brown cabs and pink counters. pick your approach but addressing this mixture would command my attention.. If you can re-use the sink , I'd consider replacing the counter. Even Ikea butcher block would FIX it and not be costly then you can wait to look at the whole situation in a few years or when you care to.

• acm
    2 years ago

replace the faucet with a higher arched one -- it makes cleaning pans a snap! maybe look for a new register cover for the floor vent that's either wood-toned or lighter (nickel, etc). you could put some decorative tile in the backsplash and get coordinating rugs...

Granite Bay Design/Build · More Info

Rio Vista Redo · More Info

Erizo Pattern · More Info

Could get a lot of bang out of a little investment in tile, wallpaper, or even contact paper to do something like this...

• nicoletouk
    2 years ago

I always say, black and white looks great with natural woods. Consider changing the countertop to a charcoal laminate. Either Basalt Slate by Formica...

Or Oiled Soapstone by Wilsonart...

At one time, Basal Slate was available in pre-fab pieces at Home Depot. If it still isn't, no worries. Both colors are very affordable. Do not get the attached backsplash, and install and creamy white backsplash.

Change out the hardware and lighting to a black or iron metal, and you have a great new look!

Nicole

• AGKY
    2 years ago

For a super budget update you could get one of those countertop painting kits that make it look like marble. Don’t add any other backsplash as long as you have this countertop with the four inch backsplash. Do you have more cabinets anywhere? Replacing some uppers with open shelving really makes a kitchen look current (but yes I know you lose storage and things get dusty, just stating a fact so don’t come for me!). Then just add cute decor and a rug you like and a new faucet. I wouldn’t put too much into it if you are hoping to save for a bigger renovation down the road.

• Shandra Rogers
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You all have been super helpful!! Thank you so much! My husband and I have been married for awhile, but pushed our big wedding back to this year due to COVID, otherwise we’d have more to spend on a remodel. This is our first house, so I just wanted to do something that makes it feel more updated and my style.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

New knobs and pulls will be a good opportunity for you to choose a new style. Buy a set of a dozen new kitchen towels, too.

If the kitchen faucet is a standard Delta or Moen model, it is likely to be just fine. You can check under the sink to see if it has 3/8 inch connectors (new) or 1/2 inch (older). Most new faucets in my area require 3/8 inch connectors. Plan for the increased plumber charges if necessary to convert.

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    2 years ago

We might suggest changing out the hardware on the cabinets and updating the faucet. You could also try to update the color of the walls. Here is a design of ours to inspire you:

Cascade Mountain Home · More Info

• Shandra Rogers
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Update! We changed out the brass for oil rubbed bronze hardware. We are planning on painting the kitchen with agreeable gray as well. Will post pictures with that update!

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago

The new hardware looks great!