Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petyos

Is it ok to have a gap between a bathroom vanity and walls

petyos
2 years ago

i want to purchase a bathroom vanity that looks like a piece if furniture to go between two walls. There would be a 1 1/2 inch gap on each side between the vanity and walls. The countertop will go to the wall. Will this look good or like a bad DIY project.

Comments (26)

• houssaon
    2 years ago

I don't think it will look good.

• AJCN
    2 years ago

It would look bad, and it would be hard to clean out the dirt, dust, grime, and hair from that very narrow gap. It is totally okay to have a vanity that does not go wall-to-wall. But you want to have enough inches of clearance in order to be able to clean and touch up paint in the future.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

For the right price, definitely work a little cleaning challenge. After a week, you won’t even notice. I would get countertop cut to top size. It will look more like furniture that way. Put items you want out on counter on a couple pretty trays. No big deal.

• teamaltese
    2 years ago

I think having the countertop go wall to wall will emphasize the gaps. If the counter were the size of the vanity, with no overhang, you wouldn’t notice the gaps on either side.

• plf12652
    2 years ago

If you do a countertop the size of the vanity it will look ok….but I have a similar setup at our camp and stuff falls off the top into that gap. So it’s not great that way and I think it’ll look funny having the top longer than the vanity.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

With only 1 1/2" of space I think it will look like a mistake. If you can find a cabinet filler strip to match your vanity I would suggest using that to cover the gap.

petyos thanked Norwood Architects
  • chiflipper
    2 years ago

Or...you could "build out" the side walls by adding sheets of drywall to eliminate the gaps.

• teamaltese
    2 years ago

I need to edit my comment to say that our vanity will be in s half bath, and will not see much daily use. So issues of things falling down the sides is not an issue. Cleaning is done with a cloth wrapped around a Swiffer style duster wand, and sprayed with a no rinse cleaner. Easy easy!

• itsourcasa
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We did it but filled the gaps, we used wood on each side as fillers and painted it. Just make sure you get a vanity that is flat on the sides and don't get a countertop already attached. We did butcher block and bought sinks separate, cut to fit once the vanity and fillers were in.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

I would get a pre-built vanity that is more than 3” narrower than your alcove so that you have more space on each side. It will look more intentionally furniture like. Otherwise, I believe it will look like a mistake in measurement.

petyos thanked ptreckel
  • apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Take the countertop to the wall and fill the gaps with finished wood that matches the vanity. If you can't match the finish, you could try a piece of wood painted to match the walls. Test by painting two strips of foamcore to match the walls, then placing them where the wood would go.

petyos thanked apple_pie_order
  • Emily R.
    2 years ago

Here's mine. Each side is one fist-length between the top and the wall; and I just measured my fist ;) -- approx 3", so twice as big as your gap will be, but not a gigantic difference. I think it looks nice. ;)

petyos thanked Emily R.
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

We also have a gap. It’s in our girls bathroom and we didn’t want to do custom so this is what we got. Lots of people don’t like a gap but I don’t notice at all. Don’t mind cleaning in the gaps and am glad we didn’t blow money on something more expensive. It’s all about what you want to spend and where. We built a new custom home and it was easy to just keep this line item simple.

• Becky H
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Ours has a bigger gap. We wanted that piece of furniture look too.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

The wider gap in the above illustrations is what I suggest…it makes it look intentional, vs. accidental.

petyos thanked ptreckel
  • Emily R.
    2 years ago

I just re-read the OP more carefully; I do think the tops touching the wall might look a little off. My tops don't touch -- the vanity is free-standing.

petyos thanked Emily R.
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

My girls does not touch actually either. But in our basement we have this one and this is what the side against wall looks like. I literally have never noticed an issue. Yes I suppose it could have been done a bit different in retrospect but whatever.

petyos thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

That little backsplash is a great addition.

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

If you add a 1 1/2" filler piece on each side, it will look more finished like in itsourcasa's photo. That's what my contractor is doing in one of my guest bathrooms. He is also adding a side splash on the counter along the adjacent wall like in WestCoast Hopeful's photo. You will need two sidespalshes since your vanity abuts both walls.

I do have a Q for the pros (+ knowledgeable non-pros) - when a furniture style (non-built-in) vanity is installed, does code require 4" clearance from walls? I know that there is a specified clearance from sink center to walls (I think 20"?). There are several threads on Houzz where this 4" "code requirement" has been brought up - but it always is debated.

This is an important issue to be resolved because if ithere is code requirement of 4" between the edge of a freestanding vanity to an adjacent wall, this issue is no longer one of aesthetics.

The code section that has been referenced in posts is with respect to a 4" clearance for a "freestanding lavatory" - which has been defined by pros in those posts as = a freestanding vanity in the U.S. (in one post, someone explained that "lavatory" = "toilet" in Europe - unlike the U.S.)

While I am having a filler piece of wood installed in my bathroom - regardless of whether a 4" clearance is required by code or not - it is an important clarification. Thanks!

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

I am going to purchase smaller vanity the actual space. This will enhance the furniture-look of the freestanding unit. The other negative to,the tight squeeze is that it makes the room look smaller. Think of the vanity as a small dresser or end table aside the bed.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Good decision!

• Mark Aboutfood
    last year

It is hard to say without seeing a whole room, but it sounds like it could look good!

• RedRyder
    last year

When you don’t take the vanity to the walls, you now have a practical space for towel racks! I had that space in my previous master bathroom and loved having a 24” towel bar to the left of our sink. I’m sure it will look good.

• kculbers
    last year

Our 3 Bertch USA vanities (we chose 2 in sage green and one in charcoal) came with pieces to fill gaps. They have soft closing drawers too, and are very well made. Bertch offers some vanity styles that look like furniture pieces. You can get them in various colors and stained wood too. Check out their website. Our kitchen designer recommended the Bertch USA vanities. I purchased quartz countertop remnants from a local stone yard (at a great cost savings).

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

This thread is over a year old