Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniez6b

Help finding an African Violet in remembrance of my daughter

My 31 yo daughter passed away on Fathers Day and I found this picture of the last African Violet that she attempted to grow. Can someone please identify it for me? I had tried to encourage her to try again but she did not get that opportunity and I want to order and grow it in remembrance of her but I don’t know how to track it down. I think she had just picked it up at a grocery store while she was in Chicago.

Comments (47)

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago

So sorry for your loss. I am not sure that violet exist though. Is this a pix she took? Are those the way the colors really are? Something seems off about the colors. They just don't seem real. Do you have any other pix maybe where the color is better? Rosie

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Rosie1949 thank you! I remember seeing the flower in a video chat we were doing and dark purple, lighter purple and white. She has bumped up the saturation in this photo and it's the only one I can find.

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago

I thought so. If I were you I would go to the Optimara site and look in there. I know I have seen it but I cannot remember the name. I think you will find what you are looking for at that site. I am almost sure it is an Optimara. Good luck to you. Rosie

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! I will try them out.

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago

Good Luck! Rosie

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Aegis1000 thank you so much! I believe that is the same. I’ll be headed to Meijers next week and begin watching for it to show up there.

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago

Also check Lowes as they carry Optimara Violets. Rosie

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have checked Lowe’s but will keep looking as I know they are always getting new ones in.

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago

Good plan! Good luck! Rosie

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just an update. I found a picture that doesn’t have the filter and I believe it is an Optimara Lucia. I have been checking all the local (and not so local) stores and so far haven’t had any luck finding it. I ordered a couple of leaves though and they just arrived a few days ago. How long should I keep them in a “greenhouse” environment? Also found out that she had the Little Hopi as well, but they were currently out of leaves. Will keep an eye out for them to get back in stock.

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago

Keep them in their until they make babies! Then you are on your way. Rosie

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Rosie1949!

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

After a little study I don't think the second plant she grew in college is Little Hopi but Ethel's Wild Side. It was sold through Lyndon Lyon but I contacted them this morning and they have discontinued it. Does anyone know where I could possibly get one or the leaves to one? I checked eBay, Amazon and Etsy and cannot find it. I am looking for the one with single petals and non variegated leaves.

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If you are sure you want Ethel's Wild Side there is no choice of leaf color. It is what it was hybridized to be,,,,,variegated leaves. Tropical World USA.com has a pair of leaves for $4.50 but the leaves are variegated. That is the way this violet is. Fancy Bloomers and Etsy also have some. I just googled it. Also Edith's Wild Side is no where near the violet you have a pix of that you remember. Rosie

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I didn't realize it was the same as the ones with the variegated leaves. Will definitely order them then. Thank you once again Rosie! The one I pictured above was the first violet I was looking for. It is the last violet she grew. Found an old message from her when she was in college with the second pic. of the Ethel's Wild Side. She found this one at Kroger. This one here.

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago

You're welcome. I really hope all works out for you! Good luck! Rosie

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Rosie!

• party_music50
    2 years ago

I am very sorry for your loss. Your first AV looked familiar, but I didn’t find a match with Optimara. Both AVs pictured are beautiful!

Have you looked for a variety with your daughter’s name? I found a hosta with my niece’s name for my sister.

eta: I do not think it’s Lucia. Your daughter’s AV had distinctively cupped flower petals that Lucia doesn’t exhibit.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Party_music50 I had not noticed the cupped petals. I have looked for an African Violet that has either her first name or her middle name, Christina Lynsey, and cannot find any. Will definitely continue my search.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Someone suggested Optimara Monet. Could it possibly be that? I am referring to the first violet I posted.

• party_music50
    2 years ago

I don't think it's Monet either. Monet has the color in the bottom petals -- and the coloring is more like what Lyndon Lyon calls a 'thumbprint' type flower. Yours has the majority of color in the top petals, with mostly outlined bottom petals.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think you’re right, party_music50. Also, I think mine has more purple that goes into the very center. I think it is definitely going to be a challenge to find.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I hope I am not bugging y’all, but could this possibly be it considering that my daughters pic has some kind of filter on it. If I remember correctly the actual violet in real life was more purple.

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago

The violet flower on your pix doesn't have the ruffling on the edge. Rosie

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Rosie. I don’t know why I keep missing these things.

• Rosie1949
    2 years ago

Ahhhhh,,,,,,that is why you have us !!!!!!. Rosie

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And I really appreciate it! When I look at the AVs it brings back so many precious memories and I am just so grateful for all of your help. I think I’ve developed an obsession with AVs.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My poor outdoor plants and garden on the other hand are a sad sight.

• Natasha Bakke
    2 years ago

StephanieZone6binKY, the violet you are looking for looks a lot like what I bought at Lowes a few years ago. I remember those purple-white gradient flowers. The pot it was sold in said "Fisher Nursery". The same violet was sold at Lowes last spring. I have a baby plant of that violet that I'm giving to a friend of mine who recently lost her exact same one and was very sad.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Natasha, I still have not been able to pinpoint the name to it. I keep checking at Lowe’s, Kroger’s, Meijers etc but so far no luck. Looking on internet too. Although I am getting a nice little collection of AVs I am still missing this one.

• Natasha Bakke
    2 years ago

StephanieZone6binKY, check out this link - is it your violet?

https://www.katesgarden.ca/indoor-plants/african-violet-plants

• party_music50
    2 years ago

That violet at Natasha’s link looks like the closest match so far. As far as the photo being enhanced, I think experienced AV growers can envision what it actually is. The same problem occurs when people photogragh plants that are under weird-colored grow lights. And don’t count on it even being a named AV, given where it was purchased!

eta: ironically, the last AV photo you posted with the purple and white ruffled flowers looks exactly like the AV my sister gave me to protect after my niece’s funeral. I’ve had it 15 years last month and I still occasionally start a big bunch to give to my sister and other family members.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Natasha, it certainly looks like it! Thank you so much! I will contact the company about it. I’ll post what they say.
    Party_music, I definitely agree with you on lights. I am a photographer and know all to well how various lighting conditions can affect the white balance of an image. I am sincerely sorry for your family’s loss.

• Natasha Bakke
    2 years ago

party_music50 and StephanieZone6binKY,

thank you for your comments. I will be so happy if that violet on my link would be the one and is still available. Like I mentioned previously, I have a baby plant of it that I am growing for a friend of mine. That's all I have so far for this variety. When I had the very original plant, it was a very good fast grower and a beautiful bloomer. I loved it, but then gave it to my friend as she was going through rough times. She needed it more than I did.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Natasha I am excited to see if they still have it. I’ve looked all over for it.

• Natasha Bakke
    2 years ago

StephanieZone6binKY, alternatively, I would get in touch with Fisher Nursery in CA. I believe it is where my original violet came from when I bought it at Lowes. See if they still produce that particular variety and how to get it.

Jerry Fisher the CEO of Fisher Nursery,

Nurseries-Plants Trees & Etc-Wholesale in

24081 S Austin Rd, Ripon, California 95366.

Phone: (209) 599-3412

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Natasha! I’ll contact them soon. Her birthday is in a couple of weeks and I am finding it hard to be motivated this week. I really appreciate your help though.

• Natasha Bakke
    2 years ago

StephanieZone6binKY, I will pray God gives you peace and comfort. Only He can. I know what you are going through. I simply remember when my father passed away unexpectedly, it's hard to find words to describe. Then, God showed me my father was saved and in heaven, he was alive and fine. Tears of joy. I miss my dad badly, but knowing he is alive and with the Lord is truly the best comfort. I know I will see him again one day and we will be together.

On the violet update, I will continue searching on your behalf.

2 nurseries replied to me so far:

1) The Kate's Garden https://www.katesgarden.ca/indoor-plants/african-violet-plants

does not have that variety any more.

2) Valley View Nursery (Ashland, OR) might have it in the coming spring, but they only sell in small bulk batches.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Natasha, thank you so much for your kind words and for your help. Crissy had a beautiful relationship with Christ and I know I’ll see her again, I just miss her. Again, thank you!

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    2 years ago

@StephanieZone6binKY please please please don’t be offended by this comment. I’m in no way comparing a person to a pet or the loss of a child to losing a dog.

I think your quest to find an AV in remembrance of your daughter is just lovely!

Reading your thread here has me in tears thinking about my Ozzie (that's him in my avatar photo). I had to put him down in May of 2020 (he was 18) and I still physically ache. Silly things like FB's memories send me into tears. I can't imagine how you feel, but, as a single, child-less gay man who is nearly 40, this is as close as I'm likely to get.

Pleaae keep updating us on your search for the plant. And good luck!

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

This whole string makes me happy. So many people I've lost, so many I'm about to lose soon. We need to celebrate them! All the best to all of you.

• StephanieZone6binKY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you

• Chris Jordan
    2 years ago

I'm deeply sorry for your loss. Violet, on the other hand, I'm not convinced exists. Is this one of her photos? Are the colors exactly as they appear? The colors appear to be wrong in some way. They don't appear to be real. Do you have any additional photos with a better color scheme?

• HU-716466194
    2 years ago

Crimson Ice perhaps?

• HU-463921974
    last year

Hi guys please visit this site to know more about wire and cable.

• Rosie1949
    last year

Wire and cable doesn't belong in AV posts. Stop cross posting.