Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Help on deciding height of sconces and picture over fireplace, pls.

ontariomom
2 years ago

Hi. The electrician are coming Thursday. We need to decide the height of the sconces over the fireplace and the picture.

I am also looking for ideas on using slate around the fireplace (below mantel as above will be off white wood end panel). As seen in the pic, we will also have a hearth. Where would you place slate on the hearth (all sides or just top). There will also be off-white built-ins on either side of this fireplace. Slate that we want with the random shapes shown on the left centre fireplace is what we are imagining.

Comments (16)

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

sconces are cenetered 66" off floor.

If this pic is your existing set up, I would not use any sconces. too tight a space, and will limit any future re design ideas. The artwoork is too small for the space... if you are ding built ins on the sides, put in an outlet on each side for lamps. Don't limit yourself, or future homeowners to a limited lighting plan. The slate surround is a personal choice, I wouldn't begin to suggest I know your style. What is your over all house style? Are you trying to change a style? ... lots to think about. good luck

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

artwork should be centered at 60" . always eye level to average peeps.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Lyn Nielson. Thanks for all your thoughts/ideas. First, the sconces need to stay. We have bought them, we have roughed in for them and we love them! There are switches that power them, too. I too thought the picture was rather small for the space. We will look for a larger piece of art in the future (too many expences for that now). We have roughed in for one plug over the mantel. We might be able to add a second one, but with keeping the sconces I am not sure that is worth it.

The picture can't hang at 60 inches centre as that would put it partly over the fireplace. Right now, it is shown closer to 73 inches centered. It is a large fireplace with a hearth. I thought I might have a few things on diplay on the mantel, so I don't think the artwork (even if larger when replaced) should be right down low on the mantel. I wonder if much of the problem is simply the picture size vs the height it is hung.

Our project is an addition/renovation. We have new couches on the way (so ignore any furniture you saw in pics). We like transitional style, leaning a bit to traditional vs modern.

• Rs S
    2 years ago

I think your print is a good size with the sconces. I like the sconces! I regret not putting them on my fireplace! I think I would center them with the print.

• Rs S
    2 years ago

As well as center between the side of fireplace and print.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Are you sure you want that hearth sticking out into the room? Its not tall enough to sit on, but is tall enough to bang your shins into and interfere with the walkway. You might consider removing it so the fireplace runs straight to the floor, with the hearth tiles flush on your floor.

Brentwood Traditional 1 · More Info

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Home Owner Thank you for your help!. Glad you like the sconces as we do, too. We are thinking the current painting is a bit small. So, perhaps rather than centering them horizontally between edge of small painting and edge of upper fireplace wall, we might move them over enough to the edge of the fireplace wall to accommodate a larger pic in the future. What height would you hang the fireplace picture. Would you centre that vertically from ceiling to top of mantel or a bit lower than centre. We do want to make sure we can place some items on the mantel.

@calidesign Thanks for your input. The decision to put in a hearth was made years ago (this has been the longest DIY project in history - 9 years!) We prefer the more traditional look of a hearth vs the more modern look of no hearth. Even if we had changed our minds, the hardwood floor has been done and the height of the firebox was installed with a hearth in mind, and we are fine with these past decisons.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is an image that we did at an earlier stage. I am not sure if the mantel will stay white like the pic, but what do you think of the trim lines around the sconces. This pic shows the sconces more to the outside vs centered. We not doing brick as shown as we are leaning towards slate. The circles are decorator plates as I have a big collection that I inherited.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

"The picture can't hang at 60 inches centre as that would put it partly over the fireplace.

Exactly right. Not a pro but I use the 60" "rule" for artwork when there's nothing between the art work and floor. That changes when furniture or a mantel come into play, In that case, you want the art to be 5-6" (give or take) above the sofa, table, mantel, etc., so they have a connection. Your current art work does look a bit small but maybe do-able with the sconces. I like art to about 3/4 or equal the size of the firebox opening.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Great. 5-6 inches off the top of the mantel seems good. Would you center the sconces height wise at the halfway point of the painting?

• chloebud
    2 years ago

I think I would place them at the center point in this case. That usually seems to work nicely. However, I'm not sure what the guidelines are, if any. Maybe check some photos online, or see what others here can suggest.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

I'd center the whole sconce, from top to bottom, in the space between the mantle and the ceiling. That way the sconces will always look like they are placed right regardless of the size or shape of artwork you use.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Calidesign. Would you include the bottom of the circular plate in the whole sconce?

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Yes, the bottom of the plate to the top of the shade.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Is the male figure in the image part of the light fixture??

• chloebud
    2 years ago

lol, Mark, I bet you have to pay extra for him. I hope he can be rotated so he's not facing the wall. :-)