Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_doherty

House quote increases from April to July

Bill Doherty
2 years ago

I'm quoting to build a 2000 sqft house in Tennessee and received an estimated quote of $499K in April 21. Now I just received a revised estimate for the same plan +$9,000.

Most of it's for increases in framing lumber, roof trusses and finish trim labor.

Was I correct in expecting a slight reduction versus an increase?

Regards,

Bill

Comments (12)

• Bill Doherty
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thx, I think I'm going to give it a little more time before I commit.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    2 years ago

Dimensional Lumber decreased while composites have been increasing

Bill Doherty thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Bill:

Please pay attenition to the gargantuan trillions of dollars your government is printing and spending. That has to create inflation as much as gravity causes you to fall down. Prices are going to skyrocket, trust me.

Bill Doherty thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • ulisdone
    2 years ago

Yes, INFLATION! Disregard the media lies, actual on-the-ground shopping shows 20-60% food inflation over a year ago, and continually rising. The cost of fuel alone will raise those heavy housing components.

And it’s just starting…

Bill Doherty thanked ulisdone
  • Bill Doherty
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thx everyone for the comments. appreciate it.

• chispa
    2 years ago

No one is guaranteeing any pricing. My builder said the roofer is now giving quotes that are only good for 3 days! Builder just lost a job because the homeowner wanted a fixed price contract. Builder wasn't willing to take on that level of risk after what happened this past year with some of the prices and/or material shortages.

Bill Doherty thanked chispa
  • kudzu9
    2 years ago

When you stated only a $9K increase, I thought: "He's really fortunate." In my high cost area in the Pacific NW, I know some people who have seen six-figure increases in their estimated quotes over the last year. All I can say when I hear you say: "I think I'm going to give it a little more time before I commit," is that I have yet to know of anyone who has seen the price of building a home decline by waiting. If materials do come down any time in the near future, the increase in wages will kill you. Good luck with waiting, but, in my experience, putting off building usually doesn't work out well financially.

Bill Doherty thanked kudzu9
  • millworkman
    2 years ago

OP stated that was a 9K increase from the end of April (assume 2021) Sure it would have been similar with that time frame

• D B
    2 years ago

Lumber & sheathing prices are dropping, and fast. But all the other goods are staying true or still increasing. Siding, Windows, Doors, cabinets ect. are all flat to increasing. Labor shortages are creating increases in wages, these increases are being seen in contractor rates as well. Anything with steel is still going up.

You plan to wait, might be a good idea, might be a horrible idea. The wage increases is what will affect things the most in my opinion. I wouldn't wait if I were you. On a $500k project, the lumber & sheathing are probably about $80k or so. The rest of the approx. $420k worth of goods and services show no signs of going down.

Best of luck

Bill Doherty thanked D B
  • Bill Doherty
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the great input everyone.

We've changed our minds on waiting.

Regards,

Bill

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

Good luck with your build. I think you made a sound decision that will minimize the potential for even worse future financial hits than you've experienced. And you'll be able to move in sooner. 😁

Bill Doherty thanked kudzu9