Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thealings

Horizontal vs Vertical Backyard Fence. Opinions Please!

thealings
2 years ago

Our backyard fence needs replacement. I love the look of a horizontal fence, but feel the horizontal fences are better suited to modern houses which mine is not. I've included two photos of our backyard and a Houzz photo of a horizontal fence that I like. What do you folks think, stick with vertical or go for horozontal?

FYI the black iron gate around the pool and the pergola will be removed when the new fence is installed.

TIA!!!

Fences · More Info

Fences · More Info

Modern Landscape in Mill Valley · More Info

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I really see no reason why you can't do that style of fence . I do wonder what you are replacing the fencing around the pool with since where I live that fencing would need to be there

thealings thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • plf12652
    2 years ago

Can you clarify where the new fence will go? Is it replacing the black one and staying in that same configuration….or are you removing the black fence and just doing a new perimeter fence around your entire yard? And the vertical board and batten type fencing behind the diving board….staying or replacing?

thealings thanked plf12652
  • thealings
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry, new fence is replacing the existing wooden fence (it is falling down in spots!) around the entire perimeter. The black fence is simply being removed and not being replaced.

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

While I like the look of the horizontal fences, I suspect the one pictured with the slight gap would give a lot less privacy than the gorgeous fence @User posted. Personally if I had your lovely yard, I'd go with a more classic vertical slat fence.

thealings thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Missi (4b IA)
    2 years ago

I love the look of horizontal fencing…tho I do also love the one SeattleMCM posted above.

thealings thanked Missi (4b IA)
  • felizlady
    2 years ago

If a neighbor’s child got into your yard, a horizontal fence might allow him/her to climb the fence around the pool and get into trouble or worse. Make sure your fence is not climable, uprights are too close for a child to squeeze between, and the pool gate and yard gate are kept locked. Check with your city department of building and safety for local pool safety ordinances, and if there are fencing and gate specifications, follow them. A pool can become a dangerous liability if not properly enclosed.

thealings thanked felizlady
  • plf12652
    2 years ago

Then I’d stick with vertical fencing rather than horizontal…..that’s a long run of fence all around the yard and I think horizontal will just look like it’s running forever! The vertical one posted above is pretty.

• User
    2 years ago

actually, that pool is a good point! for a horizontal fence, the gaps are going to have to be super tiny for it to not be climbable. plus, they're not very private. some horizontal fences with tiny gaps don't look very good, but it completely depends on the style and quality.

I don't like this one:

this one looks much nicer. as long as the see-through part is high enough that people can't easily look through it, I think it adds a really nice touch. we have a lattice top and I love how it adds just a tiny bit more privacy from the distance, while not feeling too hemmed in.

thealings thanked User
  • suedonim75
    2 years ago

If a neighbor’s child got into your yard, a horizontal fence might allow him/her to climb the fence around the pool and get into trouble or worse. Make sure your fence is not climable, uprights are too close for a child to squeeze between, and the pool gate and yard gate are kept locked. Check with your city department of building and safety for local pool safety ordinances, and if there are fencing and gate specifications, follow them. A pool can become a dangerous liability if not properly enclosed.

Oh FFS, this is so overboard. There comes a point where you can't worry about the rest of the world. As long as the OP has her yard properly fenced in, then that is all she needs to worry about.

thealings thanked suedonim75