southfanning

I need help with my master bedroom

southfanning

I have an incredibly plain bedroom. I bought some MCM furniture I really like (pic below)

, but now I need to do something to the room to match. Looking for something masculine, classy. The only thing in the room that has to stay is the TV placement and green furniture. The chair is on it's way out and the headboard can go. Willing to do any DIY.

I'm considering a blue grasscloth textured wallpaper for the big blank wall, along with maybe a desk, mirror, and some art. Or I found another painted wall with some wood pieces to make it stand out. Or a panel wall over the bed.... Pics of those ideas below.

Open to suggestions! I have the most trouble trying to picture if colors will go well together.

• judianna20

I think your accent wall should be behind the bed. An accent wall is supposed to accent something and there is no architectural interest in a long straight wall.

Use the grasscloth and paper the entire headboard wall and coordinated the bedding with the wallpaper.

• judianna20

Thanks for the paint color. It made a difference in my recommendation. Behr suggests misty moss as a coordinate....so three walls in it. Wallpaper on the headboard wall in Thundercloud blue.

Rifle Paper Co. Natural Wonder Grasscloth Wallpaper

southfanning thanked judianna20

I need help with my master bed room

We just finished my husbands bathroom in similar colors to what you're thinking - olive (or army) green walls and mocha, 1/2" glass/stone tiles on the vanity. Terra cotta colored tlles on the floor. I could not picture this working at all, but amazingly, it turned out great. I say go for it! If you like the terra cotta color you can use it on your bedspread or as an accent color, such as throw pillows, extra blanket, etc.. Can you use a bi-fold door for the bathroom? Not ideal, but better than hitting the toilet. Cultured marble!! Yep, I had one of those too. Let me guess - your huge mirrored doors are trimmed in "brass"?

I need help transforming my master bedroom

Looking at this room in your ideabook, I think you could use SW's 0066 Cascade Green and/or 6186 Dried Thyme. Floors nice and dark like 6069 French Roast. Unless your AC is inadequate to keep you cool at night, I'd go for a chandy. You can always add a really cool floor fan if you need it.

I need help with my master bedroom

If you paint your ceiling darker it will lower the height of your room visually. If you want that, then go ahead. If not, continue your wall colour onto your ceiling and paint a lighter tone of your grey in the tray - it will make it look taller and almost like an open sky. I recommend you keep the drama at eye level by working with the features in your room such as bed, furniture, accessories, lights ect. I dont know what your style is but you could find a way to use a flipcam to project images/moving pictures onto your ceiling at night - the silver grey would be like a projection screen! The colours you mentioned look good with grey

I NEED HELP on my master bedroom. Any Ideas/suggestion??

oh wow!!! I am blown away with the pictures @Groveraxle. :) i don't think i will go with a light gray blue. I am thinking of getting out of my comfort zone and going dark with a gray. i am thinking of: BM HC-168 for the bed headboard and the other walls with BM HC-170 Stonington gray or stonington gray with Classic gray by BM. Now that you did on the whole wall. I don't like the cool color grays on this room. It will make my room very nursery like. Plus it doesn't go with my decor. I am planning on using bronze or gold deco for the room. :)
  • comelyhomely

Wow I love those MCM pieces! For those asking about the third one (nightstand), you can see it next to the bed in OP's third picture -- has a remote control and a couple pup paws on it :)

I would paint the walls a nice bright white to help showcase the teal in the furniture. Bring in a couple other accent pieces in that colour (eg throw pillows & blankets) but I personally wouldn't use it on the walls or in the bedding.

Find a MCM-style bed in a wood tone that matches the furniture

and a longer bench that spans almost the full width of the bed (more proportional).

I like the funky orange lamp. You could play with that colour as well in throws/artwork, it complements the teal. The red nightstand would be better in a different room imo.

For the replacement armchair, again find a similar wood tone. Leather will add a masculine touch. Perhaps something Eames-inspired?

southfanning thanked comelyhomely
  • southfanning

Thanks comelyhomely. That nightstand is hidden in plain sight, the sun hitting it totally changes the color.

The red nightstand is just a temp fix till I get something else. The small one is just not quite big enough for my side of the bed.

I'm shopping for an eames chair replica and a bed that style. Most seem to be platform beds, so it's been difficult to find something that can hold adjustable bed bases. May have to just build something.

• houssaon

What about moving the bed to the wall where you want to do the accent? You could still watch TV from the chair. The bed with an accent behind it would make much more of a statement. Then maybe one of the pieces on the wall between the two windows, so you see it as you enter the room. I would put the desk on the wall opposite the bed.

• southfanning

The king size bed on the short wall was too tight, I tried that when I moved in.

• bluemarble

I love all of your ideas, so it's understandable that you may find it difficult to choose. Because of your bed being on a window wall, it's hard to imagine any other wall being the focal point; otherwise, the grasscloth or decorative molding would be great options.

If you are open to dark walls, a tone on tone look gives off a great vibe. I would paint all of the walls a slightly darker (or lighter or bluer) version of the teal furniture. I would paint the trim to match the walls. If you want relief from the dark and to balance out the carpet, you could add white in bedding, window treatments and art. A bit of fuchsia, gold or some unexpected color would be fun.

I really like the tall padded headboard you posted. It helps to balance the doors and windows. Alternatively, a beautiful wood toned headboard (or copper fabric on the padded headboard) to match the wood on the teal furniture would look gorgeous between the windows.

See how wood tones are enriched by dark walls? A great masculine look.

This is Behr Dark Evergreen showing a tone on tone look with the curtains...

southfanning thanked bluemarble
  • southfanning

I love this idea. That first pic you posted looks great. Any idea what color the walls are in that? I'll pick up a sample a bit darker than this paint and see what it looks like.

Let's say I paint the walls dark, do a copper colored padded headboard. Do I still do anything with an accent wall or just get some art to hang?

• bluemarble

I think the bed/window wall is your feature wall, so maybe paint it all and get the bed and window treatments set to see if you feel it needs anything else. Most likely a gallery wall, large art or a triptych will be enough of a statement on that wall. Maybe after painting the first three walls, you will have a better idea whether or not you still want some decorative molding on that fourth wall? Maybe you have another room you could try an accent wall?

I believe the walls in the photo you like are the darkest navy, almost black. Here is an article discussing the home where that photo was taken...just love it.

http://theinteriorsedit.com/2016/06/10/jo-atkins-hughes/

• bluemarble

Maybe you'd like a large vintage or modern mirror on that wall. This one is quite large haha, but you get the idea. It would add depth and interest to the room.

southfanning thanked bluemarble
  • southfanning

Looks like this color Carbon is suggested as a darker coordinating color to my furniture. It's not as dark as your example pic bluemarble but I like it. Behr doesn't list any darker colors associated, but maybe they can mix something darker for me with the original as the base color.

• houssaon

Carbon is dark and would be dramatic with your light color carpet.

How about this from Benjamin Moore?

• southfanning

I did see that earlier, but that's a little too bright for me. I really like the look of these dark rooms. I will probably get a darker rug for under the bed to tone down the carpet.

• bluemarble

I like visuals ; )

Here is Dark Evergreen next to Carbon Copy which is very nice. What direction does your bedroom window face? If it has a southern exposure, it plays a big role in how the color will present itself. As you know, samples are key. I would test them on poster board or something that is at least 12" square.

A darker version of Carbon Copy is Sherwin Williams Iron Ore...

There are several "black" paints that lean charcoal, navy or green if you want to explore more. So excited to see where this goes!

southfanning thanked bluemarble
  • southfanning

@bluemarble I really like how those go together. I think that's going to work nicely!

The bedroom windows face east. I looked at this Iron Ore as well but it was hard to tell them apart on the screen. I'll get a sample of both, and then go find a brown/copper fabric that goes with and matches the wood.

The curtains I have are grey but probably not dark enough. I saw RIT has recipes for colors but I'll have to decide if I want to tackle dying them or not.

Should bedding match the dark walls or go a different way?

• bluemarble

Ok, east facing rooms are tricky. They receive a wonderful warm glow in the early mornings turning to bright light by noon that can wash out colors. After noon, the light becomes bluer and cooler. Pinks can go muddy and blues can go electric. Designers seem to recommend blue-greens which explains why your new furniture looks amazing in your bedroom! Grays can look washed out, so a charcoal with a blue or green undertone might work. Very glad you are trying samples. Make sure to look at them around the room and throughout the day to see what the lighting does to the color.

I found an article that shows a kitchen island painted in Behr Carbon Copy. Here is a photo and description from the homeowner. Sounds promising if it holds up in your eastern light. It sure looks dark enough, so you may not need to go darker with Iron Ore. You might try a green-black or blue-black color if Carbon Copy loses it's effect in the light.

As to the bedding color, I would probably go with a lighter color (white or medium gray if charcoal walls) and add some color with a throw blanket and/or accent pillows. Maybe a teal or charcoal blanket and a long lumbar pillow with some fun colors?

• bluemarble

Of course, if you want to keep the room truly dark and moody and want darker bedding, you could certainly do that. The headboard and sheets can help delineate the bedding from the walls. Here are some more photos for inspiration...

White sheets with medium gray coverlet

White bedding with teal throw blanket and colorful accent (could be art, pillows, etc)

Dark bedding matching walls, but your headboard would give the needed break IMO

Bedding the color of headboard or the headboard could be dark as in your inspiration photo with copper bedding

southfanning thanked bluemarble
  • bluemarble

houssaon, I meant to say nice mock-ups. You showed a very important reality that the white ceiling is at play. Dark walls with crisp white ceilings still look awesome, but painting it the color of the walls is an option for a truly dark room. They make lamps for that! Just wanted us to consider the vibe will be a little different than the inspiration photo.

houssaon's charcoal mock-up shows that dark curtains look quite nice as well. I had forgotten about your fun orange lamp. That's a keeper IMO.

• southfanning

I got a sample of Carbon, which on my walls is just straight black. I'm going to pick up a sample of Carbon Copy which is lighter.

I'm going to try to find some leather fabric that matches the wood in the furniture to make panels for the headboard. Then probably a dark comforter to match the walls and maybe copper sheets like in your pic. And a dark rug under the bed.

• bluemarble

Sounds dreamy. I didn‘t pick up on the fact that we were talking about two different colors. Sorry about that. I assumed you meant Carbon Copy when you said Carbon. I’ll check out the difference for curiosity’s sake. Maybe you can use your sample to paint something else like a picture frame or flower pot.

• bluemarble

Bear Astronomical has an LRV between Carbon and Carbon Copy, but appears to have a bit of a blue-green leaning that the morning sun might draw out - in case you find Carbon Copy to be a washed out black.

Astronomical...

Carbon Copy...

• southfanning

Made progress this weekend. Painted and got the headboard panels built and put up.

• houssaon

Love the wall color and the headboard.

southfanning thanked houssaon
  • bluemarble

OMG, love it! Are you happy with it? It makes the room more intimate and gives it some direction, don't you think? Nice work on the headboard.

Are you thinking maybe white or gray curtains? Blinds? Are you keeping the orange lamp?

southfanning thanked bluemarble
  • southfanning

Yeah it's great! The panels turned out a lot better than I expected since it was my first attempt at doing that. I decided not to paint the trim because the entire window - even the external part was painted with white enamel and it was not cheap - I just couldn't bring myself to paint it lol.

I have grey curtains I'll put back up for now, but I'm not sure they're dark enough. They'll do till I can get something better, and I might add the blinds if I can find something that matches the wood/leather. Keeping the orange lamp, and I'm looking for a dark rug and some artwork to hang. Maybe something like this. Not sure if I'd be able to find something with green in it that would match.

• bluemarble

I've never placed a rug over carpet, so hopefully that will work for you. What size is your room?

Here are your two rug selections using the "see in my room" feature from a couple of websites...

Meow...

• southfanning

Wow that's awesome, I should have looked for that site. Thanks! Room is about 14x18. I've never done rug over carpet either, but I googled around a bit and seems like people do it so I'll give it a shot. Do you like the first or second of your pics better?

• bluemarble

Of those two, probably the first one even though it seems very dark and contrasts quite a bit with the carpet. Is it possible to test one or both out in your home with an easy return if they don't work? How do you feel about something that has a color that also ties in with the carpet? Not sure of budget, so I just grabbed a couple to illustrate the point. You might have mentioned getting darker bedding as well?

This one is from Home Depot. They didn't have the "see in room" feature, but it has the black and what they call "silver mink" to give a bit of warmth.

• southfanning

Yeah I really like both of those, especially the first one. Yep, going to get different bedding also. I think darker grey duvet and burnt orange or copper-ish sheets? I've been searching for this print for a while but if I track one down, would this be too crazy for the big wall?

• houssaon

I like the first rug bluemarble posted, because it seems to have some blue in it. I think it is actually grey, but it reads blue.

I think you should do white sheets. The burnt orange or copper will compete with your awesome headboard. LLBean Matelasse comes in a medium dark gray. The Company Store - Duvet cover.

I love that picture. Do you know the artist or the its name?

southfanning thanked houssaon
  • southfanning

Thanks @houssaon you're probably right about the sheets I'll go with white. The print is by Kilian Eng, called Looking for Hades. He's got a very unique style, and it's big (30x40"). Also hard to come by, but if I can't find this one he'll have more in the future. I like how the browns and oranges in this one go with my headboard and lamp.

• bluemarble

Did you end up going with Carbon Copy on the walls? If so, does it ever look greenish-gray? That first rug is Karastan Elements Fowler if you want to look into it. We can also keep looking if you want something with teal. Do you have a budget for the rug? This graphic might help you decide what size works best.

Yeah, I couldn't find that Eng print either. I found this image available for printing, but it sounds like you want to hold out for something more specific. Art is personal, so you should definitely get what makes you happy.

https://www.barewalls.com/art-print-poster/space-landscape_bwc2339739.html

• southfanning

Yes this is carbon copy. It looks black at night and very dark grey during the day. I'm not picking up hints of color out of it on the walls really, but I do really like it. It feels like a different room. It did look greenish-grey in the can the night I painted though.

I'd probably like to keep the rug under $500. I'd do more if I found something I loved. I really like that Fowler you posted.

The Eng print is sold out, but I'm part of a collector's group so I can post and hopefully find someone who's willing to let one go. Or I'll wait for one of his future releases.

• bluemarble

Yes, it feels like a different room from here, too! Here are some more visuals with your gray curtains. The rug may or may not work, but needs to be seen in real life. It looks great with your current earthy bedding. You can add other pillows or throw blanket on the bed to bring in alternate colors.

Gray and white bedding...

Gray and green bedding...

Green and white bedding...

Just green bedding...

Just gray bedding...

southfanning thanked bluemarble
  • southfanning

Wow, thank you! I think I like that green/white, if I could find the right green to match. Grey/white is nice, too. I still think that rug looks great in there. Plus on this side of the bed I'm probably getting a replica Eames chair so the rug won't be so prominent.

• bluemarble

Playing around...West Elm pillows, Kilian Eng art, Eames chair

Just in time for Halloween!

Etsy has so many choices for custom pillows. You could have a velvet lumbar made in any size and color...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1021179060/sale-long-lumbar-velvet-pillow-cover?ref=shop_home_active_3&pro=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/842847581/rust-velvet-throw-pillow-covers-luxury?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=orange+lumbar+pillow&ref=sr_gallery-1-24&frs=1

This reminds me of your painting...

• southfanning

You've been busy! And that looks amazing to me. I just need to do some shopping I guess :)

• bluemarble

Forgot an orange lamp! I realize not everyone wants a ton of pillows on the bed. I like to just put a lumbar on the bed or a little fun one on the chair. Or some texture with a throw blanket. Have fun shopping!

southfanning thanked bluemarble
  • susanlynn2012

southfanning, please post pictures when your room is finished. I really like all of the suggestions.

• southfanning

I will, still trying to find green bedding...

• bluemarble

How do you feel about a linen duvet cover? There are many etsy stores that sell them. You can request fabric samples to confirm colors and textures.

Linen $213 for queen size (you can probably find for less)...

Cotton alternative $89 for queen...

southfanning thanked bluemarble
  • southfanning

I really like linen, but so far just hard to get the right color. First one from Amazon turned out to be army green, and all the Etsy ones so far either won't ship a sample or want half the price of the item for a sample. Probably just going to have to get a dark grey so I don't have to try and match the green.

• bluemarble

What size bed do you have? Do you have a budget for bedding, if I may ask? I know the linen is pricey, but I'd be happy to help you find something; unless, you're just ready to move on from the green. Gray would be nice as well...it doesn't have to match perfectly, since it would present as a monochromatic color scheme with varying shades of gray. Adding more green in smaller doses to pick up the dresser and end table works beautifully.

• southfanning

King, and I'd like to stay around $100 for the duvet cover. That's enough on Etsy for linen but there's no returning anything to India where most of those are made. :) I really don't mind a dark grey though, those are easy to find. I found this 55% linen 45% cotton on amazon

And I found this one on etsy which looks close in the pics, but the other one I bought was Forest Green too and didn't work. Some of the Emerald greens might work, but hard to judge from a computer monitor. I could maybe dye something but that's a whole other project I'd rather not get into.

Also found emerald sheets on amazon which are fairly close, if I got a grey top.

• bluemarble

Yeah, you don’t want to waste time and money returning things or getting stuck with what you don’t want. I like your latest finds and think you can’t go wrong with any of the combinations.

• southfanning

This green sheet is close enough, right? :)

• bluemarble

Is the other fabric gray? Is it also a sheet or is it the duvet?

• southfanning

The dark grey is the new duvet cover, pretty good match to the walls.

• bluemarble

You would be the better judge since you can see the sheets in person, but I’m not completely feeling that green. It seems to lean a bit yellow, maybe? Do you love it? It’s better to have an intentional mis-match than a ”close, but no cigar.” haha if ya know what i mean