Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_kim63

Neolith Stain & Chipping Tests - Calacatta Ultrasoft vs. Silk

Julie K
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We're planning to use Neolith Calacatta Ultrasoft in our primary bathroom, coffee bar and desktop but I've been hesitant about using it in our kitchen. After sharing my concerns with our local distributor they kindly provided me with two large slabs to test at home. Yesterday I finally got around to testing my Neolith Calacatta Ultrasoft and Calacatta Silk slabs! Neolith Finish Options

The first pic is the ultrasoft slab and the second pic the silk slab. Starting clockwise from the top, I tested Trader Joe's chili crunch oil, soy sauce, lemon, cooked beet, sriracha, yellow mustard and EVOO. After a little over an 1 hour, both slabs wiped perfectly clean with a Clorox wipe! Later this week I plan to retest with sliced lemon and red wine left sitting overnight.

I then used my 12" cast iron pan to pound the surfaces/edges to test for chipping and scratches. Given the countless strings I've read about chipping, I wanted to see how easily the edges would chip. Surprisingly it took quite a bit of effort to chip the edges!

It took some really hard pounding before I created small noticeable chips which looked more like dents then chips. I repeated the experiment with a wooden rolling pin and stopped pounding on the edges because I didn't want to damage my wooden rolling pin, lol! The rolling pin created NO DENTS/CHIPS.

I then dragged my cast iron pan across my slabs to test for scratching. I was shocked to find fewer scratches on the ultasoft slab than the silk slab! I was able to easily remove the marks with a little bit of liquid Soft Scrub with Bleach (the actual name of the product) using just a paper towel on the ultrasoft slab and a magic eraser and Soft Scrub on the silk slab.

I hope others find this information useful! :)

Comments (29)

• Kathy Baker
    2 years ago

Thanks! Maybe I should ask for a piece to bang about, as well... I am in love with Abu Dhabi White Silk by Neolith..

• PRO
    Kontrast [Curated Danish Design]
    2 years ago

We installed Neolith on backsplash and kitchen counters recently and while we love the way it looks....the counters are now chipped. This is not a high use house it' s a second home but either way, this should not be happening. We probably have about 6-7 very obvious chips around sink and on counter edge and it bothers me everything I look at it. I am very disappointed. Trying to get in touch with installer to repair but - it's there.

• Tiffany C
    2 years ago

@Kontrast [Curated Danish Design] how long did you have them before the chips appeared? Are they large chips? Do you mind sharing some photos?

• Julie K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Tiffany C I share similar concerns, but decided to take a leap of faith based on the experience of our installer, Fox Marble, who seems to be the best and most experienced Neolith installer in the Bay Area in terms of sheer number of installations.

We received our building permits a few weeks ago and our demolition is scheduled to start late September. Absent any large hiccups we're targeting mid/late October to template our Neolith.

I'm really hoping it works out because I'd like to use the Neolith Ultrasoft in our kitchen when we remodel our kitchen next year...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

If you're going sintered, go with a through-body type please. Then you can profile your edges, especially at the sink, to minimize chipping.

The idiots at Consumer Reports tested sintered for cracking without having the test piece properly bonded to an acceptable substrate. This is like test driving a car with no tires and bitching about how it handles in the corners.

• sgrossman35
    2 years ago

Old thread but want to add some info for others looking. We have the natural honed finish (got that because stone yard said they could get it and “no guarantee” on other finishes in time.) we haven’t even used the kitchen yet and have several chips from installation, a small crack by the sink and a large scratch and what looks like an etch mark from the subcontractors. It wasn’t supposed to be able to be scratched! When the light hits it, it looks awful. I am hoping the fabricator can come fix it (he’s away and coming when he comes back) otherwise we aren’t going to be accepting this job and the product. The quartz in our pantry looks perfect by contrast.

• Julie K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@sgrossman35, sorry to hear about your installation issues. We're dealing with our own Corian installation nightmare so we can totally relate!

We recently installed Neolith ultrasoft in our bathroom, coffee bar and desk with absolutely NO issues. We haven't used it yet so don't know how it will hold up, but it looks gorgeous so far!!

• sgrossman35
    2 years ago

Wow that looks so nice! Your fabricator did a great job. How do you like the texture of ultra soft? For some reason the matte honed feels like plastic or laminate to me.

• tiffany chin
    2 years ago

@Julie K Your Neolith is SO beautiful! I am in awe. Did you go with Fox Marble to fabricate and install? I really wanted to go with the ultrasoft slabs, but ultimately all these stories of cracking scared me and we went with quartzite. We also had some issues in terms of some weird stains that appeared before using our kitchen and the remedies the fabricators used only made it worse. They did make things right by replacing that entire section and we were very fortunate to source 1 of the last two sister slabs.

• Julie K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Tiffany! We went with Fox Marble. Here's my Yelp review.

@sgrossman35, please don't take this the wrong way but are you 100% sure you purchased Neolith Ultrasoft slabs? We saw lots of slabs at Evolv's showroom in Berkeley (CA) and never thought they looked/felt like plastic! Our designer said they were the closest to marble that she's ever seen!!

Because of all the prior posts about Neolith not being through body slabs we visited the Infinity showroom in Southern California. The slabs I saw there definitely felt and looked like plastic laminate to me!! Here's the Houzz post where I posted pictures of the Infinity slabs I saw in person.

• sgrossman35
    2 years ago

Julie, we purchased the natural honed finish. I saw a photo before I paid for them but never saw them in person until they arrived. They are soft, but there is something not natural about them.

• sgrossman35
    2 years ago

And yes they are beautiful and the most marble looking we have seen. Just super concerned now about durability. My contractor emailed me back and said after the fabricator comes back out he expects them to be unblemished so, hopefully they can make it so.

• Julie K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don't think I saw the natural honed finish at Evolv's showroom. The slabs I viewed were satin, silk, polished and ultrasoft.

Fox Marble actually recommends satin/silk for kitchens, but said ultrasoft is currently the most requested finish by customers. I'm sure it's because it's so beautiful in person and feels absolutely wonderful to touch!!

• sgrossman35
    2 years ago

Julie K, how do your edges look? Some of mine are good, some are wavy like pictured. They repaired the chips: some ok some not and now I have two cracks around the sink. Trying to decide whether to have them replace this with Neolith again and use the certified fabricator I wanted to use originally or switch to marble.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

I can't see the cracks.

• sgrossman35
    2 years ago

The first photo was the bad edges that look drippy. Second photo is a crack in the edge under the faucet base.

• Julie K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Our Neolith edges don't look like yours. On the off chance it's helpful, here's some info from the company who did our Neolith installation. Sorry to hear about your Neolith saga. I can totally relate as I'm still dealing with my own Corian shower issues!!

https://www.fox-marble.com/learning-center/

• sgrossman35
    2 years ago

We got a full credit and are replacing with marble!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

joseph,,,enlarge picture, put on your glasses

• collin661
    2 years ago

Sgrossman35, did they ever manage to get the etch marks out of your slab?

• sgrossman35
    2 years ago

It wasn’t etches it was really bad fabrication, edges, chips and cracks. They are replacing the full kitchen with marble and gave my contractor his money back. After using the Neolith for weeks, it is very durable. However new fabricator said the way it was installed we could get major cracks in a few years. And just doesn’t feel like stone in my opinion.

• sgrossman35
    2 years ago

I wouldn’t ever do it again after seeing how easily it chips. My friend has it in her kitchen and major chips around edges only after a year. With marble you can smooth out chips and dings but Neolith is much harder to repair well.

• Julie K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We just passed our final inspection yesterday and are still a few weeks from moving back upstairs. Here are a few more pics of our Neolith counters. We replaced our concrete vanity counter with Neolith which feels like real stone to us!

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

Beautiful!!

Julie K thanked chinacatpeekin
  • collin661
    2 years ago

Sgrossman35, thanks for the response. I recently had Neolith Calacatta gold installed in ultrasoft finish and when they finished the install in the evening everything looked beautiful. However the next day when the sun came gleaming through the door it looks as tho the island is covered in “etches”. The installers came out to have a look and I was told they wanted to run some tests in the shop to come up with a fix. The kitchen is gorgeous but I am very much hoping the issue can be rectified.

• collin661
    2 years ago

When it comes to the feel of the stone I think it’s probably what has gotten complimented most to be honest.

• Karen Yoo
    last year

For me .ultrasoft feels like soap. Too slipery like plastic.. I agee that it is stornger for scratches than silk. But I think for the touches , I like silk better for the modern look.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

collin661:

The quirk is such a nice contrast to the waterfall cliche that is so rampant these days. Now if your cantilever sags you have no miter to self-destruct. Nice detail and I wish we saw it more often.