nina_lauderdale

What Countertop w/ Fantasy Brown Island and Taupe Cabinets?

Nina Lauderdale

I'm doing an unexpected, cost-conscious kitchen project of changing my sink to undermount, upgrading my (now Corian) countertops, and changing my backsplash.

I fell in love with the light-to-medium "beachy" cuts of Fantasy Brown (marble/dolomite) and was planning on using that (leathered or honed) throughout my kitchen. [PICTURE BELOW]

Now I am considering using FB on the island only and using something hardier for the rest of the counters, where the stove and the sink are.

I also think that using FB throughout might be too intense with my taupish (?), rather than white, cabinets and walls. [PICTURE BELOW]

Walls are diluted BM Cedar Key -- as are all the common areas -- and something similar but darker for the cabinets, in matte. Floors are dark wood.

I guess I could afford to have the kitchen, eating area and family room painted a different color (all are attached in an open plan). We have 2 green glass desk/tables in the family room (which we use as an office), so kind of a coastal look.

My thinking at this point:

1. Given the honed or leathered FB island and the matte cabinets, the other countertops should not be glossy.

2. With dark flooring, medium cabinets, and light (to medium) FB island, counters should be on the lighter side, and pretty plain.

3. I'm not into the "white with veining" marbl-y look that's popular now, and it would be too formal/modern for our house, which is a builder home with a slight Cottage intention crossed with Texas Hill Country (Texas Mix stone on front face of the house).

4. Not black or crisp white, as there is no black or crisp white in the kitchen (although I could put in a white sink but appliances are stainless), or the rest of the house either; the trim is almost cream (both interior and exterior), unfortunately. Most of my decor has blue in it.

5. Due to my limited budget, quartz may be out of the question....? I want to avoid going much above the bids I have for FB throughout (2 bids are at $3500, so $66/sf total, but that's involving 2 slabs). I haven't loved any of the lower end quartz I've looked at so far, except the Caesarstone Cosmopolitan White {PICTURE BELOW]

6. Subway tile backsplash, possibly larger than 3x6 [PICTURE BELOW]

I'm wondering:

Is there some kind of countertop with a hint of light blue?

Is there a porcelain that isn't white?

Is there a light but not white granite that's plain?

Suggestions?

Nina

Here is my cabinet:

Here's an idea of the kind of slab I'd like. It's the only inventory picture I've loved so far. I believe it's available -- a single slab which I'd have honed (can't be leathered) -- but wouldn't be enough for the whole kitchen. In addition to the warm light browns, I like that it appears to have a hint of a light blue (in the gray/white), my 2 fav colors.

[EDIT: my teen daughters say this and most FB is too busy]

Caesarstone Cosmopolitan White:

For backsplash, preliminary findings at a modest price point are these gray subway tiles:

Or these, which are avail 3" x 6" but might be better at the 6" x 18" shown here.

^ In the other pictures, they don't look as dark.

Given my matte cabinets and honed or leathered FB, I like the idea of matte tiles, but would need to find some that are not too expensive.

Sponsored Story
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Pro Spotlight: Give Your Traditional Home a Modern Perspective