Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smnjdanty

Stainless steel vs. porcelain kitchen sink

smnjdanty
2 years ago

We are looking to remodel and are trying to choose which kitchen sink type to purchase. Advice?

Comments (18)

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

Well, a lot comes down to what looks good to you. Of course, maintenance and durability come in too. I changed to a porcelain sink (Kohler Riverby) after having stainless steel for many years because I just tired of it. I need to clean my porcelain sink a bit more often but some of that is because my water pressure is low and water is very hard - so lots of crap left and stains. Plus my drain is now in the corner of the sink and really not practical for my water situation. I’d choose a center drain next time. But I don’t care. I love the brightness of the porcelain (just white) and the single bowl. My next home will have no stainless sinks or appliances. I’m just done with that look. So, just think about what you like. Look at lots of pictures here on Houzz and go see some sinks in person. I never thought cleaning a stainless sink was low maintenance anyway. I often polished mine to keep it nice. To me, a porcelain sink is just minimally more maintenance intense.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Porcelain sinks wear out. Stainless can be refinished. Look at the quartz composites please.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

Are you certain you meant a porcelain sink for your kitchen? Maybe you meant enameled cast iron?

• smnjdanty
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Either porcelain or ename cast iron . I I’m worrworrying about chipping and scratch marks from potsand pans . Also looking at granitecomposite

• mainenell
    2 years ago

Stainless hands down is more durable, the workhorse of kitchen sinks!

• Fori
    2 years ago

Enameled sinks are prettier. I break things in them and prefer the bounce of stainless steel.

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

Porcelain sinks are lovely but do show wear. I hate stainless steel for upkeep, sound and looks. I put in two Blanco granite composite sinks in my kitchen (a lovely grey) 3 years ago. They look just as nice as when installed, water stays warmer and they clean up with no effort.

smnjdanty thanked Sharon Fullen
  • smnjdanty
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback!

• julieste
    2 years ago

I am in the midst of this decision too, and I've always had enameled cast iron. I am contemplating all three materials. I read several comments above about the fact that stainless takes upkeep to keep it looking nice; this is something I am worried about.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I also considered a porcelain vs a stainless steel sink when I had my kitchen renovated a few years ago. I decided on stainless steel undermounted sink and am happy with this decision. Easy clean up with Comet scratch free cream cleanser. It takes me about 2 minutes to clean up my sink❣️

• mainenell
    2 years ago

Wow. I’ve never heard of having to “upkeep” a SS sink. Give it a good scrub once in a while and it is good to go. And I’ve never had a noisy one. They must have been really cheap ones. Or you want it to look like it just came out of the box forever.

• Rachel
    2 years ago

I recently built a new home and went with a SS undermount sink. I had one for years in my old home (Elkay) and it was a workhorse. After 26 years it had scratches, but it's a sink! I wen SS undermount again for the new home because I like the durability and easy maintenance. The new sink is a Kohler Strive and more modern in design. It's attractive, but I don't care for the lack of slope to the drain. I need to use the faucet spray and follow debris around the sink to force it to the drain. I understand this is common with the newer modern style. I didn't have this problem with the old Elkay. Just one other feature to consider when selecting a sink . . . it's complicated.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    2 years ago

When looking at stainless sinks, try to stay away from "Made in China". I have seen several of these stainless sinks rust when brand new! You MUST ask, as companies like Kohler, and others make some, if not all of their sinks in China.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

“When looking at stainless sinks, try to stay away from "Made in China". I have seen several of these stainless sinks rust when brand new!”

This comment from @Rachiele Custom Sinks about rust is fearmongering. Also note that Kohler, Blanco, and Franke all sell good stainless steel sinks with their badges on them that are made in China. Rust in a stainless steel sink is not caused by the sink being made in China. It is caused by someone leaving something in the sink that itself rusts, such as a can or metal utensil, or frequently, tiny particles from steel wool pads. Steel wool pads must never be used to clean a stainless steel sink no matter where it is made.

Rust can also be caused by the homeowner’s water if it happens to have iron in it. I have this issue myself of iron-heavy water that leaves rust spots in my custom 14-gauge Texas-made stainless steel sink. And so what?—the rust comes off in seconds with very little effort, using Barkeeper’s Friend and a sponge. People should buy the sink that is in their budget in the size they want, and if the manufacturer is a reputable one, including the popular Chinese-made sinks by Kraus, then they should not worry about rust in their sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Shannon and Dino both make excellent points. The overwhelming amount of rust in stainless steel sinks are from contamination, not faulty stainless. Some excellent stainless steel sinks that do not rust come from China.

• Fori
    2 years ago

Stainless is really easy for upkeep unless you get one with a mirror finish and expect it to stay that way.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

“Julien is made in Canada and Blanco in Germany.”

Most Blanco stainless steel sinks are made in China, though not all.