Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peach557

Kitchen cabinet trends.

peach557
2 years ago

Do you think white shaker cabinets have had their moment? How about different upper and lowers? I don’t want to do what’s currently “on trend” now and find its out of style in a year or two. Any suggestions for a good place to find out about forecast trends?

Comments (11)

• HU-727078151
    2 years ago

https://nkba.org/research/nkba-design-trends-2021/

https://www.kitchentrends.org/

Wood, slab doors, natural materials, and simplicity, are the rising style.

• K R
    2 years ago

I see slab doors in most of the high end homes I tour these days. And a lot of wood again, or a combo of white and wood. It’s more on the modern side but that’s what’s going in most new builds I have seen.

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

White is always in. Natural wood is always in. Grey is a trend, mixed colors is a trend.

• H202
    2 years ago

Grey cabs are a dead trend. I think two tones are past their peak, but they are being done in lots of low end kitchens right now. So i guess that means still popular, but clearly destined to be very passe in a year or two.

Agree natural wood is recently very popular, and white remains ever popular. I think natural wood is still very much in the growth end of its popularity and has years to go before losing steam. That said, once the natural wood trends dies, whenever that may be, your cabs will be decidedly untrendy. Ive been on this site for ten years, and seen hundreds, if not thousands, of people asking how to deal with their very-dated wood cabinets (orange, espresso, cherry…. all the old styles of the 70s to the early 2000s). I’ve probably only ever seen five people asking how to deal with an old white kitchen. And even then, the solution is usually as easy as updating lights or hardware or a new window treatment. Compare with wood, where a ’refresh’ that truly brings it up to date is just one step short of a full kitchen gut. Just food for thought if youre worried about dated styles.

• peach557
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! This really helps me a lot!

• darbuka
    2 years ago

The thing is, picking a kitchen style based on projected popularity, can be a losing battle. There are no guarantees. The same goes for picking a style just because it’s all the rage. Then your kitchen winds up looking like all the others. That’s been the case for 10 years or so, with all the white-on-white-on-white, with fake plastic-y marble counters. A bunch of sheep, following the herd.

This is your kitchen. You’ll be spending many hard earned dollars, and many hours in the kitchen. Get a style, and materials that speak to you. Don’t be afraid of putting color in your kitchen, just because that’s not what you’re seeing here, and in kitchen showrooms. If you like white cabinetry, but would prefer a backsplash with color, that’s what you should get. If real stone is more to your liking, don’t feel you have to put in engineered stone (aka, quartz), just because that’s the trend.

If you love the graining, and warmth of wood, go for it. That’s what I did…medium stained Shaker birch cabs, soapstone counters, with a Celadon green backsplash. That’s what spoke to me when the kitchen was installed, and still makes me smile…almost 6 years later.

• Sherry Brighton
    2 years ago

When I was first planning my reno I wanted green cabinets and white Café appliances. It would have suited my house and green is my favorite color. My husband pushed towards wood because it was more timeless. Instead we settled on natural red birch because it is warm enough to suit the rest of the home and unusual enough to satisfy my non-cookie cutter wants.

We opted for stainless appliances and a quartz with a uniform color and no movement.

All kitchen trends come and go but design choices that suit the home will age much better.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I got my inspiration for my gray kitchen cabinets from a trip to Colonial Williamsburg. Gray kitchens, white kitchens, and wood kitchens will always be in style. Shaker styled cabinets are classic❣️I think you should have your kitchen with a style that you love. I chose my kitchen color, cabinets, and countertop based on what I liked.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It's not just whether something is a trend or not - you also have to look at your house's design, where it is located, whether the kitchen is bright, gets lots of natural light, or doesn't. To use an extreme example, I've seen pics of gorgeous kitchens in a Miami ultra-mod high-rise with views to the ocean, with white slab gloss cabinets. Gorgeous yes. Would work in my home, no.

I chose white kitchen cabinets not because white is popular, or because it's not trendy (white cabinets have been around for a couple hundred years at least), but because I live in a northern climate that is gloomy for several months each year, and the kitchen window faces north. I need the bright white.

Shaker cabinet doors are popular because they fit in both modern and traditional kitchens. But raised panel cabinets are popular too, especially if you like a more formal or traditional look. As to the finish, whether you pick white, wood, or also popular are painted colors like sapphire, emerald and sage, should be because it's what you want and like.

All different, all lovely, has nothing to do with trends:

• darbuka
    2 years ago

Yes, white cabs have been “around“ for hudreds of years. But, they didn't become ubiquitous, as part of the whole white-on-white thing, until about 10 or so years ago. If I had $5 for every ”Should I paint my cabinets white?” thread that has been posted here, I’d have a substantially richer bank account.

I guess it depends on where you grew up, and when. I’ve always lived on the North Shore of Long Island. Growing up in the 60s, and even into the 70s, when I’d already left for college, I knew noone with a white kitchen. There were some painted cabinets, but no white. Mostly, wood cabinets were the norm, in all different shades.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

forecast trends: the biggest thing in recent years is PERSONALIZATION and efficiency and specs for those expensive cabinets you will be getting. The advent of drawers / coupled w numerous options for your surfaces including counters/tile/floor means look at the cabinets as the core investment because you do not want to replace them due to what you will spend. If you are nervous then Ikea will allow door changes over time. that is a good option for the right person.