Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marin_cvitanovic

How to add colour to living room with odd slanted walls?

Marin Cvitanovic
2 years ago

So, I want to add some colour to my living room. Started with a blue sofa and a pale blue wall on the left, but it just doesn't look fresh and crisp (I guess the blue colour on the wall is just too inconspicuous). My idea is to match the colour of the wall on the left closer to the sofa, hoping that this will make the colours pop a bit more. But I am still left with all these funny angles on the white slanted wall in the back and on the right and I am not sure what to do with the wall in the back, at the moment it just has this window in the middle and it looks kinda empty. The room is generally very light (even though you can't see it on the photo :D and apart from two south-oriented windows also has a large skylight.) Any advice is kindly appreciated.

Comments (14)

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

I quite like the vibe. My only suggestion might be to get a bigger rug. Other than that, I think you're good.

Marin Cvitanovic thanked jmm1837
  • Rachel Lee
    2 years ago

I agree with jmm1837. Bigger, lighter rug. Continue the gallery you have going around the bookcase on the entire blue wall. Add light colored pillows and a throw to the couch.

Marin Cvitanovic thanked Rachel Lee
  • Marin Cvitanovic
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tanks for the advice. The rug is already commissioned :) Btw. any ideas if I should put something above the doors? Or just leave it empty like it is atm?

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

Nothing above the door. Keep it simple and focussed.

• Marin Cvitanovic
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I do understand the reason behind it (choppy surfaces blend in more if painted with the same colour), but then I can just leave it white, as I don't see how grey would add a pop of colour? Also, which parts to paint - there are so many beams, corners and angles, where to stop with the grays? (it's an open plan kitchen-diner-living room)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I was going to say the same as @Diana bier, I think it would look a lot more cohesive if all the walls are painted the same color. I’d do everything but the ceiling. But if your concerned where to stop it. ( and I hear you ) show more pictures of the space. So we can show you exactly where we think it would look best.

• Marin Cvitanovic
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• cat_ky
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would move the couch over to the left and center it under that window. I do see that ceiling is slanted, so leave it out a bit to compensate for that. Then, move the chair over to the angled part of the wall, where the couch is now. Something just seems a bit off center in your arrangement. Then turn the rug the other way in front of the couch, and put the coffee table on it. A few pillows in colors to go with the blue and the colors in the rug, and I think it will look a lot more cohesive.

Marin Cvitanovic thanked cat_ky
  • Marin Cvitanovic
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It's how it was originally :) but then I had to find some place for this massive Bird of paradise plant (I went crazy with plants in lockdown). So many things to balance!

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

I love your space! I would paint EVERYTHING, all your walls, white. Your windows, the slanted walls, are fabulous. I think your sofa is a beautiful color. It is your pop of color that you seem to want. Yes to a larger colorful rug. I would say that you have quite a few little things scattered around the room. Less, in a space like yours, is MORE. I would edit the little pictures, plants, etc. If you are doing art, one BIG colorful piece, a poster, etc. It needn’t be expensive. One LARGE plant. What an interesting space!

Marin Cvitanovic thanked ptreckel
  • cat_ky
    2 years ago

I guess, the bird of paradise would have to be the one to find a home for, if it is causing the rest of the room to look off balanced. Maybe it could go outside for summer months, and inside during winter. I also agree, on a large painting of some kind (doesnt have to be expensive), in colors you like for the room, rather than all those smaller pictures on the left side of the room, and the shelf unit that is on the blue wall, should be centered on the wall, not all pushed to one side. All the plants under the side windows, could be clustered together, in an arrangement, instead of just lined up along the wall. Its a challenging room, but, it can be done. :-)

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Put the BoP in the corner left of the FP. Do you regularly access the cubby closet in the corner? If not, try your bookcase there (maybe on its side) so you can center the sofa under the window. Can't find it now, but last week someone posted a pic of a room full of plants. They were everywhere and you had to pick your way through them to access any seating. However, all the pots were either pink or white. It was pretty and impressive. Perhaps you could coordinate your plant pots.

Marin Cvitanovic thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

Then leave it all white, and get your color from furnishings and wall decor.

Marin Cvitanovic thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC