Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lulu0915

Polished chrome fixtures, brushed satin nickel pulls?

lulu0915
2 years ago

Hello, our bathroom is white quartz, white shaker cabinets, and polished chrome fixtures. Would brushed satin nickel pulls look ok? Should I do a different color for the pulls? thank you for any advice.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Can you post some pics . Why the different finish for the pulls ? A bit mor einfo and pics please.

• lulu0915
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s being remodeled I don’t have pictures yet. I have never seen chrome pulls before. And won’t it look too shiny?

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

Mixing metals is fine but polished chrome and satin nickel are too similar to mix, in my opinion. Traditionally bathrooms used to always have polished chrome fixtures and pulls so, it wouldn't be unheard of to do the same. If you are truly against polished chrome, you could add in another metal.

• lulu0915
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So what do people use that have polished chrome fixtures in a bathroom?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Polished Chrome...

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

Some examples...

Chrome and gold

Chrome and black

• kelli_ga
    2 years ago

Chrome has a blue tone; nickel has a brown tone. I would not mix them at all. They are both trying to be silver.

Matte black is safe. Polished chrome is safe. Not sure about the gold tones - I would avoid them unless you really want them and can repeat them. I would not do gold tones myself but I tend to be more matchy-matchy than others.

If there were no chrome, I think mixing metals would be easier. Most other metals have a warm color component.

• lulu0915
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! I love this black look I think we will do that!

Our kitchen sink and fixtures are stainless steel. Would it be ok to do polished nickel in the kitchen for pulls?

• lulu0915
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If we did black pulls in bathroom would we have to do a a black doorknob both sides ? We’re thinking of doing nickel on all doors. But then it would be odd no? Chrome fixtures nickel door handle?

• kelli_ga
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I wouldn’t worry too much about the bathroom door knob. I would be consistent with nickel on all the interior room doors. It won’t be that noticeable.

Regarding the kitchen, nickel tends to be interchangeable with stainless. Brushed or satin nickel is often an exact match to stainless, and it’s OK to vary the sheen and use polished nickel.

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

My opinion is the door knob should be matching nickel on the hallway side and black or chrome on the bathroom side.

• lulu0915
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If we did matching nickel on hallway side and black on bathroom side what color hinges do we do?

• kelli_ga
    2 years ago

If you keep the bathroom door open most of the time, and if it opens to the inside of the bathroom, the outside knob will show on the inside as part of the bathroom.

If you start changing hinges, you might have a problem with the door aligning and closing properly. In theory, that shouldn’t happen, but it almost always happens to me.

I used to have a bathroom doorknob with a different finish on the inside and outside. It drove me crazy. But one side was chrome and I think the other was antique brass or bright brass.

If you are struggling with this, another option is to change up several related door handles. For example, on certain doors for bathrooms or closets, you could use black lever style handles and on other rooms like bedrooms, you could use nickel doorknobs.