collectorguru

Yikes! Help me update this home in Southwest Florida

Design2 girl

After receiving so much amazing help in updating a few homes from this amazing group of people, we have a new project to consider and I need your help elevating this 2006 Florida home to today's standards. It's a beauty, in great shape, and I am beyond excited for this project!

First order of business is going to be the kitchen. Our wish list includes a WHITE kitchen to replace the tuscan cucina. Its a back wall kitchen with an island. The island needs to seat at least 4, so I am thinking it will be extended, and probably a single level island rather than the step up. We are going to price out refacing this kitchen vs replacement. If you have ever refaced a kitchen and made it white, would love to see your results and hear your experience. We may have to consider painting this, but somehow we need to see some elevation changes, as the flat"ness" is my biggest problem with how this looks. The ceilings are 12', and clearly, I would like more storage if possible.

Naples Home · More Info

Naples Home · More Info

Would love to know your best ideas and thoughts on space saving cabinet tricks, your favorite countertop materials, specifically the debate on granite vs quartzite vs quartz, and the most reliable mfg companies of quartz. Interested in any inspiration pics that you have saved for a simple back wall kitchen layout with an island.

Here is one of mine, just dreaming. And I realize this layout is different. Thanks in advance if you made it this far!

Woodinville Retreat · More Info

Flo Mangan

As to paint colors and sheen levels, I too have used one color for both walls and trim but changed the sheen levels one step. I am not a fan of sheen on walls so prefer flat/matte on walls and satin finish on trim. Since you don’t have cabinet sample yet, this would be a safe way to go. I would be very careful of LED brightness levels. The LED Light is so harsh to my eye but that is pretty much a personal choice. Good luck traveling with that knee. I have one knee replaced and bone on bone in other. Neither feels good! Take care. Be prepared to lay in bed with leg foot elevated after flight. I get swelling even now. I sure hope you get wheelchair at airports. They are horrible places for us these days. I worry for you. If at all possible, don’t fly anywhere yet. Just saying. Been there.

• RedRyder

I find the daylight LEDs very harsh. Our dimmable recessed kitchen lights have soft white LED bulbs and are very easy to live with. (We even tried a daylight LED in one room of the barn and my husband was horrified! Not sure who uses those bulbs successfully.)

1960's Home & Kitchen is 90% intact! YIKES! NEED HELP & IDEAS!

Am I the only one that is saying, uh seriously? Orange walls, yellow walls, run down floors, cabinets and so much clutter I can't even concentrate. No offense, but you said to critique away. I would start by simplifying EVERYTHING. I mean, everything. If you don't use it, put it away. Paint goes a long way, get the cabinets painted and bar stools for color. Take your walls back to a calmer tone, they are jarring to see. Paint island and get everything off that ledge where people are supposed to sit. Remove the pot rack. Once you do all of this, I don't think it matters what color the counters and cabs are as long as the walls are calm and the counters cleared. As for your dining room, the bakers rack has so much clutter on it, the kitchen table has placemats and candle holders, dark and dungeon-y. You can always bring in old rustic touches or whatever you like once the foundation and cleaning is done. Think about it that way instead of creating this whole kitchen with all these crazy colors and items. Good luck!

Yikes!!! I'm clueless as to what to do in entire house!!!

I'm not sure a curtain along the wall behind your bed would be something you would like. Your night stand would have to be pulled forward to let the curtains hang straight. I do think you could hang individual curtains over those windows, but off-set so it creates the illusion that the curtains are centered over the windows. You would use longer curtain rods than you would normally use over a window that size and leave the curtians open permantently in a way that covers the walls on the sides of the windows but leaves some of the blinds showing making the bed look like it is centered on the window. I hope this makes sense.

Updating a one-story, 1980s Florida house

Your place just needs some curb appeal, which you will get with an update to the exterior around the front door, repaving your driveway, and some interesting landscaping. Do you have a corner lot? It kind of looks like your home could be facing a corner - or you have a very big lot! How do you manage to get big projects done when you're not onsite? We just had our kitchen redone. We started talking to contractors in July, selected one in August and just now finished. In fairness, the kitchen was mostly finished and totally usable before Thanksgiving, but getting the little things on our punch list taken care of has dragged on.

Yikes! Where do I begin with this Kitchen? Needs an update!

I, too, have a house done in oak cabinetry and trim. I used to think yellows or creams were my only options to match the warmth of the wood tone. Until I tried a wonderful gray/green color! The wood is warm...and outdoorsy...and natural looking. What goes better with that than a soft green that is outdoorsy as well?! The color I have now is from Lowe's.. Valspar Cherokee Tan, one of their heritage colors. I have people ask me all the time what it is. My mom swears it is gray, others say green. It changes, depending on the lighting and time of day. It is so restful. And calms down the orange-ness of the oak. My daughter did a similar tone in her house..same color trim. It looks amazing. Her house has lots of floor to ceiling windows...7 in the great room...and it is a great color that doesn't compete with the view outdoors. Just another idea...
    Flo Mangan

I am with you RedRyder. Some new studies are raising concerns about an increase in Retina damage especially in small children from staring at the bright light. So some caution is in order.

• RedRyder

Honestly @Flo Mangan, I think those bulbs are dangerous for the retinas of us older folks! 😂

• Seajay Sparkles

Can I ask a quick question about island size and pendant choice. Is there a magic formula for the length of an island and how many pendants work best. For example, if a Long Island (102”) needs three pendants, and sectioned into three 34” sections, what is the best size for a glass globe pendant? 25% of 34”? I realize if using two 26” chandeliers, that two is sufficient. I hope you can see that this particular island is a NY borough 😉😂.

Flo Mangan

That is not a simple question of course. First, the size of island is usually proportional to the space available. Generally, with today’s newer kitchen layouts, the range is centered behind the island. This helps define lighting over island. I like two larger pendants or chandeliers positioned either side visually to hood behind island. 16-20” wide. Styling to coordinate with home styling. 3 pendants can be used of smaller width. I like to allow about 8-10” from edge of island countertop to edge of fixture. The bottom of fixture (depending on style and shape) should hang about 30-33” above island. If there aren’t visual issues behind the island then it a simple matter of calculating distances that appeal to the eye. TIP. Use balloons approximately the size of fixture being considered to get a visual perspective of size and locations. Most tend to hang too high. 😊

• Seajay Sparkles

Thanks Flo, I was curious why someone chooses two pendants instead of three. Balloons are a great idea.

• Design2 girl

Flo, thank you so much for that explanation. So Helpful!

It’s been really busy here, and SW Pure White is going on the walls, ceiling and trim. I think it will be light and bright. The transformation is in process! We spent a lot of time at the kitchen design place yesterday and we will be tweaking and finalizing those plans very soon. More on kitchen specifics later, my knee is tired but happy. I am flying back home today to get ready for surgery on Monday.

Flo Mangan

You are amazing!! Sending prayers your way for surgery to be successful along with your rehab. The white walls are making huge positive difference and will bring great brightness to this home. Take care and safe travels too. Very challenging time for you.

• RedRyder

White walls are going to be transformational. Focus your energy on your recovery from your surgery. Sending you healing vibes!

Design2 girl thanked RedRyder
  • modpod

Looks great! Good luck with your surgery!

Design2 girl thanked modpod
  • Molly

It’s amazing what a coat of paint does to a room, I lived through a similar color transition. Good luck Monday. 🍀

Design2 girl thanked Molly
  • felizlady

I have had both knees replaced…about six years apart (the surgeries, not the knees). Totally worth it. Used a cane for a while after each. I had a physical therapist for a while after each surgery. The scars disappeared eventually. As good as the originals!

Design2 girl thanked felizlady
  • Design2 girl

oh felizlady, bless you, and I am so glad you are good to go for another 150K miles! Sitting here in this GINORMOUS immobilizer with a pain pump and huge contraption for ice makes me wonder.....but I know I will be better slowly every day.

So, we met with the kitchen designer, and chose this hood, which will be painted white, and now some of our painting is finished, so I thought I would share some pictures here and get some feedback.

Delarosa Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Our cabinets will be 42" with 18" glass doors above, similar to this without the "X" in the glass.

Delarosa Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Here is the existing kitchen painted in SW Pure White, ceiling, walls and trim (yet to be painted)

Delarosa Kitchen Ideas · More Info

And interestingly enough, our Kitchen designer has done a similar project, so I am going to share their results.

Delarosa Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Now, in this kitchen, they blocked the hallway into the laundry with the refrigerator and added double ovens. Our kitchen won't look exactly like this, and the angled cabinets will not be present in our kitchen. But, I am interested in your feedback on this. Somehow, I think our hood will be a bit more detailed and our hallway will remain open. Here you can see the hallway better and it is very convenient to come in with groceries, etc. Otherwise, you have to go into the living room with all your packages....at least that is my thinking at this time. But, we have no plans to block this up. They are going to wrap that angled wall with cabinet material so the fridge appears built in and change the height of that wall.

Delarosa Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Delarosa Kitchen Ideas · More Info

And this is a sample of Magnifico Encore Porcelain in Calacatta Oro which I think is stunning for countertop material. Its a bit warmer, and speaks to the flooring. I am shocked it is porcelain and would love all opinions for this material. I was thinking we would go Taj Mahal, but this is compelling.

Delarosa Kitchen Ideas · More Info

• thinkdesignlive

Is it too late to consider a slightly less bright white for your walls and trim. A light greige like BM Swiss Coffee or SW Shoji would still read white but wouldn’t look like primed walls. Sorry just my 2 cents. Otherwise looking good so far.

• thinkdesignlive

If your fabricator is skilled in porcelain then those tops are very nice. Not all fabricators are up on the tricks and machinery needed for porcelain.

• Seajay Sparkles

D2G, knee replacements here too. Well over 150K miles in them 😉. I just helped a friend pick kitchen items for her new home. I chose quartz calacatta gold and it’s beautiful. I think this porcelain is beautiful and a great choice with the floors. The paint is brightening up the space nicely. And last but certainly not least, the hood is pretty darn spectacular and will be an awesome addition to the simple cabinets. I definitely like the idea of keeping the hall opening into the kitchen. You’re doing a great job as usual.

I hope you continue to get your strength back and if you do your homework, you will be better than new 😎. Good luck.

• Design2 girl

Thinksesign, I wanted SW Alabaster for a little warmth, and it was sampled but my mother was dead set on Pure White and once I started thinking about adding all the plantation shutters on the large sliders which she has already ordered, and she is installing plantation shutters in the eyebrow window of the dining room AND we are doing electric hurricane shutters all the way round on every window, I shut my mouth. And this is Florida, So, Pure White it is, and I agree, it is a bit stark so what would you do with the cabinet color? I do think the warm countertops will work with the floors, and her color will be in furniture and artwork.

Seajay, which quartz company did you go with in the calacatta gold? We are definitely open to that option as porcelain can only have 90 degree angles, she prefers a softer, rounded edge. This porcelain was the first piece that truly looked like marble to me, but of course, we are going to look at slabs too. What do you think of Taj Mahal on white cabinets with white walls? Will that work?

Flo Mangan

Love, love Taj Mahal. Slabs are coming in more beige than before but would be gorgeous with what you are planning so far. So beautiful made up. Get 3cm if you can. Or do a laminated edge with 2cm to simulate 3 plus cm. I did that in last house and it turned out great. Cost averages out. Less costly fir 2cm slabs but higher labor for fabricating the double thickness edge. I will see if I have a good photo of that. Bbl

Flo Mangan

Having trouble posting the photos. Trying again.

Flo Mangan

You could do 45 degree joint if you don’t have any curved edges. Much harder to fabricate that tough.

• thinkdesignlive

As for cabinet color you should wait until you are 100% set on your countertops (as you already know your floors and seem dead set on the Pure White). This article should help balance the stark white walls and make it work overall (repeating the white in furnishings and decor is key and adding in earthy wood touches too): https://mariakillam.com/3-ways-white-walls-work-earthy-finishes/

• Design2 girl

Ohhhh Flo! I LOVE that picture of countertop and she would like a softer edge, I am assuming that is Taj Mahal, I think the key is to find just the right piece. What is your take on mixing whites? I’m not great at it but we are going to be layering whites, creams, etc. it makes me so dang nervous, not really my wheelhouse. I will post her other furniture when I can get to my computer.

And thank you for the link thinkdesign, I need all the help I can find!

• Design2 girl

As far as doing a 45 angle, that is what the kitchen designer offered in the porcelain but I’m not digging that. I think that is a little dated as well.

COCo

Hi With all the help you must be on your way My one comment is actually a question. Do you use the island , breakfast bar? I like the concept of a two part unit. 1/3 island in granite top with 2/3 lower in wood table height. This portion added has the ability to move 90-130 degrees giving you options to use as buffet , table or area to work on for specific. Islands take up a lot of space and unless drawers are included they just take up space your thoughts,?

Flo Mangan

Yes, mixing whites is a bit tricky, but girl, you have an amazing eye. Whites, beiges, and touches of black or a strong color will bring it all together. A couple pretty olive wood cutting boards leaning on back wall and it will be stunning!

Flo Mangan

Oh, yes, that photo showed Taj Mahal. Now that was a light tone which was beautiful. The slabs that are coming out of the mountain now are more taupe and beige. But that would be pretty too. They just make up so beautifully.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Here is another example.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • Design2 girl

I am terrified of white-white! LOL, yet, here we are.

Coco....that's really an interesting idea and one they put in their new showroom where we are getting these cabinets. Yes, we definitely will be using our island (112" x 48")as a seating bar where I expect all the daily action to occur in this house. In addition, we are having full 24" base storage cabinets on the living room side with push magnet open/closure, so no pulls, and they won't look like real cabinets there, but they will provide great storage.

Here is the showroom where we are getting our cabinets and I believe this is the concept you are describing. It was lovely in person.

Delarosa Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Do you think it would be worth making the hood on the back wall in a wood tone? Or, we considered going with a wood island? My first inclination is no, because my mother has heavy antique-y furniture that she will want to use, but this white is going to need something?

Also, would you consider calacutta porcelain for the backsplash as well? hmmm, might be a bit much. but I love the idea of no grout and a smooth surface.

Taj Mahal is a soft cream is my dream, but that porcelain is such great material. I am torn. She wants a dang ogee edge, and we all know that ain't gonna happen with porcelain.

I do like the hood we are using, do you think we should make it stand out in the vast whiteness by doing it in wood? Here it is, although I do NOT like this grayed out wood tone at all. What color would be better?

Delarosa Kitchen Ideas · More Info

• Seajay Sparkles

I missed your question. The difference between my friends choices and your choices is she chose Agreeable Gray walls and cabinets are really close in color to the walls. It’s stunning. So the Silestone Calacatta Gold is whiter than the Taj Mahal and works with the gray. I think the Taj Mahal is beautiful. As to the hood, it makes quite a statement so I think I would stay with painting it to match cabinets.

Design2 girl thanked Seajay Sparkles
    Flo Mangan

Oh my! With that much design on the hood, paint to match cabinets. Otherwise, it will cross the line between “different and interesting” to “OMG what were they thinking!” Lol. I would scale that back a bit too. Also, sitting at countertop height is not too easy especially for seniors. Might want to consider a table height 16” deep counter to make the island more functional.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Or a long narrow table with proper seating that could slide under overhang of countertop but pull out when needed. Like a open sofa table. That might be a great option here. Do the island as planned but design for 16-18” overhang. Use metal braces for island countertop to keep overhang clear under. That could be in white washed wood. That would also soften whites in the space. I will sketch that up for you and your Mom.

COCo

Hi Design Girl 2 Take a deep breath and relax. Showrooms are there for one reason to assist in design and sell product

What do you need.

Forget stone or white for now

Just write down for a week what happens in the kitchen.

How many people in the family. Young 2-7 or going to leave soon?

I like to start with needs.

Do you cook daily?

If yes Breakfast and Dinner,

Do you want wall oven? Stovetop induction ,- cooking on induction perfection. Gas magnificent

How old are you and is this a home you will never leave? I ask this because at 65 you are not going to want to bend down to get a quiche from the oven Wall oven time. Or raise the oven up with a drawer underneath. Top cones to 48"

. BoThis brings us to cabinets. There are some great new cabinets where the top lifts up and the cabinet comes down.

This is an opportunity to plan for now and the future.

Having an island with 2 sinks works great. One for cutting and prep. The other smaller for ice and drinks served .

This way two people can serve guests and do final prep at one time.

I did find a photo with a table off the island in wood.

I will attach.

The kitchen I did we had the table able to rotate from the length to the center.

Is that kitchen large,,,?

The last concept is the island long side has a bench built along this side. Seat height 17" and a banquette or table out from this area.

Showrooms are there to sell product. Take a look at homes for sale and you will find inspiration.

The last kitchen I did we used acacia dark wood floor, same wood on bottom cabinets and white leather wrapped top cabinets.

White counter tops and 3d subway tile.

Now I would use wood and sage. After COVID people want warmth, comfort at home.

Wood gives you a home feeling.

I will try to attach pictures. If you want email and I can assist

.

IRemember enjoy the process. I ask clients find a pillow with your 3 favorite colors and use those in the kitchen.

I did find a photo with a table off the island in wood did find a photo with a table off the island in wood

Design2 girl thanked COCo
    COCo

Will attach 2morrie off to site.

Design2 girl thanked COCo
    Flo Mangan

Here are a couple tables that could work. I wouldn’t put at end of island because it’s too close to breakfast area. Plus, it adds to walk around island. You could get a custom table made too for perfect fit and look. 😊

• homechef59

I vote for keeping the hood the same color as the cabinets. It's a strong statement and a stained or contrast painted finish would make the statement overwhelming.

Design2 girl thanked homechef59
  • Seajay Sparkles

Just an opinion here. As old and challenged as I am with knees and back, I’ve never had an issue with sitting on counter stools. Now, bar stools, that’s a whole nother ball of wax.

Design2 girl thanked Seajay Sparkles
    Flo Mangan

Here is rough sketch of my concept. It isn’t to perfect scale, just to help you visualize.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Really depends on how many you think will be visiting at the same time. Countertop height is 36” and table height is 30” typically. In any case, you will need special metal plates under stone to allow for 16-18” overhang.

• Design2 girl

Great comments and thoughts here, and yes, we need to revisit our initial thoughts and ideas. Aging is REAL, lol. My mom is 82 and is happy with a bag of popcorn for dinner, otherwise, she prefers to go out. So, cooking is not much of a team sport, lol. My hubs and I will be here in the winter I hope, and we are more likely to cook a meal at home. The kiddos will come, my mom has 5 great-grands from age 2-16. They like to head to the pool and eat snacks, lol. However, coffee is important and daily. And Seajay, I can't sit on high bar stools anymore. They are a PITA, and with this knee, its even worse, so not even an option. And it will be full access island without any big ole corbels from ago.....I want very minimal invisible supports under the slab so ease of access is a priority.

When we first saw this house with the raised stepped bar, we knew we would eliminate that element. And, I don't really want a 2 level island or even contrasting material. I want this kitchen to be a great focal point, but understated and gorgeous, timeless and efficient. The neighborhood doesn't have gas, somehow it seems to be hard to find in Florida, so it will be an induction stainless steel slide in range that will be under that hood, which will be sized to fit a 30" range. I hate wall ovens, I had those in the 80s, and I like the convenience of placing whatever is coming out of the oven on the stovetop.

As far as cabinets, we have an appliance cabinet that will raise up and slide up to hide the coffee pot, toaster that goes to the countertop on the left of the range next to the pantry. It creates a bit of asymmetry and I am still thinking about that, vs doing it inside the pantry.

She wants raised panel, I want a transitional door, we are not going to really agree on that, so I am hoping for a good raised panel, we'll see what the sketch includes.

She found these 2 slabs today and she is getting dead set on one of these. Yikes. I want to wait to make the big decisions when we have all the materials on site and can compare with the cabinet doors and these Pure White walls!

Here is the Taj Mahal slab she viewed today

Delarosa Kitchen Ideas · More Info

and here is Calacatta Gold quartz.

Delarosa Kitchen Ideas · More Info

Please tell me all about quartz, this is the piece she loves, me....I like the stone myself. or even the porcelain, but I suppose I can live with anything she loves. lol.

Show me how this quartz will be fabulous. She is looking at a Champagne Bronze faucet, and a huge deep SS sink, I hope that works with this.

More later, just wanted to share these pics and get your input.

• RedRyder

Is it possible to get the hood in a natural wood that is light? And then the island can be as well. I’m sure I’ll get outvoted.
    I love Taj Mahal when it looks like Flo’s photos. If you can’t find the softer creamier color, then the porcelain would be gorgeous. But your mom can’t have the ogee edge, of course, with porcelain.

Flo Mangan

I highly recommend you encourage her to NOT do an Ogee edge. They are vulnerable to chipping and breaking and are outdated for sure. They also cost more in materials and fabrication. I have another quartzite in mind for you. Let me find it. Another client of mine is using it for a similar kitchen. Bbl

Flo Mangan

While looking I found this! Looks very pretty. Taj Mahal and in Fort Myer’s FL. Quality Stones. Worth a call to see if they still have these slabs. Really pretty.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • gardener123wewantsophie

Design2girl, I am so enjoying this thread...what a fun project for you and your mom, and what a great place for the family to gather!

• Design2 girl

OMG, Flo, I am calling our kitchen designer right now this morning to show her this. I want her to present it to my mother, yikes, yikes yikes. I love that sooooo much!

• Design2 girl

Flo, This is called Madreperola quartzite, I think it answers her need for gold/cream/warm, but in a more subtle way, she doesn't want a honed or leathered finish in the kitchen, which is what I think the brushed finish is, but at any rate, I thought this was a beautiful stone as well. Just making sure you all think we can go something this warm with all that white.

Flo Mangan

Sure. I could see that with white cabinets. It will repeat look of flooring but with some white and cream accessories along with wood tray or cutting/charcuterie boards it can come together nicely. Of course, you (or your trusted assistant) have to see slabs in person. Btw, have you had that surgery? Hope you are doing what doctors tell you! Lol

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

In looking around at the Madreperola, there seems to be a lot of variability. So slabs would have to be selected carefully. But it could be beautiful in place.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • homechef59

Your mom is surprising me with the edgy calacutta gold quartz slab. I love that slab. I was going to suggest it for a house with warm tones. I think that it is gorgeous and striking. But I thought it would be too cutting edge to suggest. It's what I would put in my next house, if I didn't use a solid white quartz. With that selection I would do a simple edge.

You want to be educated about quartz. It's very durable. It doesn't stain or etch. You cannot put a hot dish on top of it as you can do with granite or marble. You can attach an undermount sink and support corbels successfully. You cannot carve out a drain board runnel for the sink, but you can place an angled drain board without voiding the warranty. If you want to do that, I have pictures to show the fabricator what you want done.

I have had two kitchens with quartz products. One was new and one was old. The old was 15 years old when I got it and it had held up very well. There were no chips, scratches or crazing. Looked as good as when it was installed. You can put a fancy edge on quartz, It has to be attached, but I would suggest a simple eased edge with a rounded corner. Practical, simple, elegant.

Regarding the ogee edge, I would suggest you and your mom work a compromise. Let her have a raised panel door and you get the simple edge on the countertop. The equivalent would be taking off one piece of jewelry before leaving the house. I know she will get that explanation.

Design2 girl thanked homechef59
    COCo

Hi
    I am awful at posting photos
    Here is the description - simpler
    Draw this size
    A - 112" x 60" 36 standard" height for sland.
    Two options
    A. Use the transitional style on the island and a color
    Paint can always be repainted
    Add a bit of trim make it transitional simply with paint Rectangles with
    Behr Color: Debonaire
    (a very elegant blue grey)
    Paint this inside rectangle
    Trim. A dark color TBD Behr Wet Cement?
    Outside and around the island color
    Dove White oc 17 Benjamin Moore..
    general body
    .Base Tall elegant molding with 3 cuts to top
    Finish Color of trim Wet Cement
    Or Whit Dove with a bit of the wet cement added.

This depends on floor light go darker , dark go lighter .
    Stop
    Place your pencil 30" in on the 69" side and
    drop island to 28-29 = standard 17-18" seat height for chair at a table
    Look ma no stools.
    Use the same stone. Thick 3" edge on top for upper island ,1.5" high stone and a simple edge.
    I like fun and elegance mixed.

This side portion put simply elegant traditional chairs painted OC 17 with a patterned Schumacher Traditional seat.
    Have fun here one pale yellow, lake blue, pale green.

Next Cabinets
    I found in life compromise is best.
    Siimple elegance lasts forever
    Your slab door can be in OC ,17 with a beautiful traditional pull or a glass pull in color?
    Think a bit of fun.

Put some color or not I like a bit of the sky color here on a stormy day

At the end of the cabinet runs. Two sides next to hood and end of the cabinet
    Put a big finial. Ornate 4-5" tall and paint red? Or Navy Blue
    The hood should be simple.

Over Island
    Hubbardton Forge lights- they have elegant transitional/modern rectangle fixtures - yes they exist. Skip the 3 pendant look.

Stone
    Marble cannot be a kitchen countertop.
    2 I know can be used
    Black Absolut
    Vermont Green
    Marble is too soft and will show cracks
    With this said Calcutta cannot be a top
    Quartz is ground up quartz man made and gorgeous. And priced higher than granite. It is a beautiful product .

For me personally and professionally I believe use the real stone
    The wall could have your Calcutta on it , or the backsplash and a darker stone for top.
    Or
    Granite has stones that are stunning and you can pick forever. AKDO has slabs never ending
    I found a Navajo lately that I love
    But, I love every stone and marble

I hope this helps.And you must get Granny her own popcorn bowl. Blue with dotsl.
    COCO

PS Have fun and the family votes on color
    Buy some poster board paint up stone up trims and pulls Let them vote