nicole_collins

guest room aka the giant world map room -how to work with it??

Nicole Collins
  1. We got a new house and the guest room (prior family’s child’s bedroom) has a giant world map on the wall.
  2. We will use this as a guest bedroom or where I will sleep when my husband snores and I want to avoid smothering him 😂
  3. we want to keep the map.
  4. I personally hate bright colours - the rest of the house is entirely neutral, grey, white, beige, so instinct is to go neutral white walls (like photo with passport stamps)but I also feel that makes the mural pop even more. We can all agree the current blue is a hard no though!
  5. I want this room to feel serene and inspiring (I love the travel inspiration…just loathe the colours)
    ….so, what wall colours will offer the serene feel while still working with the massive map??

• Nicole Collins

Sharon - great idea! I’m a notorious DIY fail, but I have crafty friends I could ask to do this for me!

• everdebz

Your nightstand photo just posted - you could stencil heavily with an abstract, or a floral, etc..

Jacobean Furniture Stencil - DIY Floral Pattern - Reusable Stencil for Furniture · More Info

Office has cherry wood overload!

It's massive, heavy, and dark . . .but lovely. Add some nautical in this room (and the shopping trip ought to be a blast!) in paintings, sculpture, and accents. A collection of pretty seaside books would be inspiring for the rest of your choices. Since you've got white and cherry going, remove the window treatments and try white plantation shutters or etched glass. Add lots of glass pieces (table tops, etc.) and some banana leafed trees, ginger, orchids etc. Find some neat sand cast furnishings and monster-sized shells. Light the seascape over the mantle and make it a focal point. Nautical sconces, porthole mirrors, using the woven mat look on surfaces (I vote for the ceiling), adding nautical maps, etc. will bring it all together. You could find some relief shell designs for the ceiling or walls. A super large area rug with a tropical pattern and colors would counterbalance the wood. You could hang a canoe or framed fish bones in there too. Have fun!

Theme for a blue and purple room?

You are old enough to write well so I'm thinking you're 11-15 years old. A lot of butterfly and flower themes are for younger girls. So I'd like to direct you toward a look for your room that you can subtly change as time goes by. I'd like you to turn one of your walls into a forest that you can explore in your mind. Your forest would be made up of white pine trees against either your purple or your blue wall, or perhaps both, depending on your budget. It would be done with decals such as you see below. Then, you could add some butterlies for now if you want. But you could also add the names of places you'd like to explore, with the names floating among the trees.

BIG blank kitchen wall

Hi all- thanks for the great ideas. I actually have a collage of family beach photos going up the entire staircase to second floor so don't want to duplicate that look. Have been looking everywhere for a beachy/coastal themed "set" of prints/canvas art of possibly crab, lobster, shrimp...to add red accent and still go with the look of the kitchen. Having hard time finding a nice set of bigger size art that would work. Any suggestions on where to look?? Thanks!!

Need Decor help!

Try pulling your couch and chairs even a bit more out into the room with the set up I suggested. You should be able to get out the sliding door. It's ok if the chair is somewhat in the way - they are sliding doors not swinging ? I think it looks so much better with the chairs on either side. Good balance and use of space.
  • everdebz

Shibori Japanese Furniture Stencil by Royal Design Studio · More Info

Birds on a Vine Furniture Stencil, DIY Pearl Inlay Designs for Furniture · More Info

• Nicole Collins

Everdebz - these are really cool but likely beyond my DIY skillz 😳 if I give it a try, I’ll post my after photo!

• freedomplace1

I like the World map. But I don’t think I would find it to be restful to look at while in bed... Too much going on in the World - in terms of media, etc. - plus, if I traveled a distance to get to soneone’s place, I wouldn’t need to be reminded so strongly that I had just traversed the World. 😂 So if possible, I would put the bed with it’s back to the World map. I think the map would be a fabulous backdrop that way. And maybe mount a tv on the wall, where bed is currently. I don’t personally watch tv, but many people do, and find it relaxing. So if this is a guest room - think luxury hotel. And flanking the tv, you could put up a couple of these shelves, maybe, with a couple of small plants, maybe a piece of pottery or two; I love these luggage looking shelves that you posted.

As far as wall color, with your current carpet, I would either go with something in the beige family or a green in the sage family, probably.

I used a tile visualizer - just to show the general idea, because it’s easier for me, plus you can see a variety of different tones greens/sages, etc.

It looks like there is some green in the World map - you can pick up that color.

• roccouple

I think a ”coastal” palette, with light blue green or gray green walls, could work with the map (as suggested above). you could bring some driftwood color or driftwood art in.

you can search for coastal palettes, eg https://www.hgtvhomebysherwinwilliams.com/color-collection/Coastal-Cool

• arcy_gw

Is there any of the paint from the other three walls left? Just go with that...two 'features' in one room seems too much. If that map is truly on a frame I would hang it more centered. It's too low!! I realize there isn't a lot of footage above it..but it just looks odd as is IMPO.

Use the most neutral color from the map that you like I like pale sagey greens so maybe that and then awesome white bedding and a nice throw at the foort of the bed in maybe a blue I certainly would not go crazy with the travel theme I really dislike themed rooms .You need night tables , lamps , drapes all of which will make the space feel different than just the empty spce now.

• Nicole Collins

The map is a wallpaper type decal affixed to the wall and the moulding is framing it, so definitely not moveable unless we replace it…

• blubird

Strange choice for the map location. i wonder if PO used the map as a headboard in the kid,s room.

• Beth Allen

I would also pick a green from the map, maybe Canada's color?

• freedomplace1

I like @roccouple’s idea of adding a bit of relaxed Coastal vibe. One way could be in table lamps.

Something like this rope and glass jug lamp would automatically add a bit of subtle Coastal, and also picks up on your rug color - so helps to tie the space together. Good price on these, as well.

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/rope-and-glass-jug-table-lamp__x0316.html

Annette Jaffe Interiors

Maybe you could try a nice light blue paint and try looking at some coastal themes since you want to keep the map. Maybe even try the map as a headboard, since it looks like it might be able to serve well as one.

Long Island Residence: Bedroom · More Info

Roslyn Renovation: Bedroom · More Info

Boathouses: Bedroom 2 · More Info

• everdebz

New day... thinking how it's not a den, and bed is delicate - shabby chic direction, not on frilly side. If a guest room, a good place to try stenciling - not shapely flowers too much! Here's feminine bed -- distressed wood would work in yours?

What material is framing the map? could be repeated some in the room.

Grace's Vintage Room · More Info

Martha's Vineyard Summer House · More Info

• Jj J

I like the map as headboard idea.

• arcy_gw

The headboard idea really does make the most sense, unfortunately the best place in that room for a bed us under the window, some would then insist on a lower head board but that could be 'fixed' with full length drapes filling the wall. Used as a headboard will be the only way to make that map look intentionally well placed. Right now it looks like it slipped off it's nail. Unfortunately it makes for poor room flow and wastes space between the window/bed if it's a room where children may hang out.

• everdebz

Or, a blend-in pillow - I keep thinking of quilt, and in soft colors - the blue accent wall as you said might not be a fav... so everything else can be same hue, but softened:

Ahmad Lumbar Throw Pillow, 18"x12" · More Info

Blue Butterfly Linen Pillow · More Info

• Stacey

I would remove it. Hard work, but worth it.

• everdebz

Your thought about postage and its background neutral - do you like soft aged? like flax, burlap, sepia? you can add that I think.

Someone posted idea to 'age' the map with a craft product...

• everdebz

On a chair? one item with lotsa pattern:
    You said it that changing the 1 blue wall will be easier. :)

Sun Spirit Throw 50"X60" · More Info

Multi-Color Crystal Chenille Throw Blanket, Blue/Orange/Purple, 50"x60" · More Info

100% Cotton Vintage Handmade Kantha Throw, 50"x70" · More Info

• partim

I'd take it down. I'm not a fan of many world maps simply because, like this one, they distort the sizes of the North and South parts of the globe. For example:

Examples of size distortion

Antarctica appears to be extremely large. In reality, it is the second smallest continent, being just smaller than Russia.

Greenland appears the same size as Africa, when in reality Africa's area is 14 X as large.

Alaska appears to be the same size as Australia. Australia is actually 4½ times as large.

Etc.

• everdebz

Is a bohemian style suitable? have fun at Etsy, World Market. It's unique, and something like art - make it work for a few years, is my thought:

Dip-Dye Patch Pillows, Set of 2 · More Info

I don't like this pillow...

Octopus With Ship Burlap Pillow, Charcoal · More Info

• everdebz

subtly overlaid with text and postcard images... fun for me to shop.

Coastal Notes I Decorative Pillow, 18"x18" · More Info

Leon Throw, Aqua · More Info

• everdebz

Cheaper at Home Goods? color of carpeting is ok. Jute lamp shabby and/or coastal.

26.5" Distressed Candlestick Resin Table Lamp, Cottage Antique Beige · More Info

Caramel Coated Fringed Throw Pillow, 14" X 36" · More Info

26.5" Distressed Column Resin Table Lamp, Set Of 2, Cottage Antique White · More Info

• happyleg

You could center the bed Is on the blue wall or the other side of the room and the Is map on the blue wall

• happyleg

You could put the bed under the window too it's 2 get a nice drape that has some of that blue color and it or stick to the wrong color

• btydrvn

Long post.. not to repeat.. but painting trim to match wall may help…

• btydrvn

Trim around map

• elaina stanley

I took your map photo into a color pallete making app and this is what it gave me. i think the color 3rd or 4th from the right would be beautiful amd subtle on the walls.

• debc25

I also snored until I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. Now I use a CPAP, sleep a lot better and so does my husband. My sleep apnea was causing atrial fibrillation and putting me at risk of dying or having a stroke. Suggest your husband check with his physician about a sleep study. Other than that, I'm not much of a designer.

• emspenc

Agree the map looks like it slipped off of the picture hanger. I like the idea of painting the walls the same color as the map frame trim to make it more cohesive and intentional. I think it is the best option.

If not, another option would be a very pale yellow and use blue accents in the room. The map already is the statement piece so I would not overwhelm the room with other stamps or luggage on the wall. It will overwhelm the room. Maybe some subtle artwork hung elsewhere in the room.

• Gargamel

Unless you are absolutely in love with that particular world map, why not take it off the wall and get a new one (lots of nice ones on-line) and put it where it works a bit better

• Dennis Peterson

I agree with using the map as a headboard. It’s definitely a statement piece but could be cool. I’m guessing the room is not very large and you’ll be minimizing the amount and bulk of furniture. If centering the bed with the map doesn’t allow ample distance from the window wall, maybe off-center the bed and balance it with a night table and table lamp at the North and South America side. I also agree that a shade of blue blending with the oceans on the map is appropriate. You could decide the paleness of the blue to your liking/comfort.

Ginger House Interior Design

The fact that there’s a sliver of wall at the top of the map and not the bottom is what feels wrong and off-balance. If you’re up for reframing it, run the molding-frame all the way up to the ceiling and fill in the top with some flags, stamps, or similar. Then at least it would be balanced top-to-bottom. I like the idea of the map as a headboard. Put you headboard-less bed right up against it. Then go with everything else travel-related on the other walls. The map is a great jumping off point, but it’s bold so you need to go bold everywhere. It’ll look great! Check out Portland designer Max Humphrey’s page for inspiration. He used maps all the time and has great success mixing patterns and textures. https://www.maxhumphrey.com

• carol beachlady

Lots of comments today. Pick up some paint color sample jars. Since you need for this room to be a peaceful refuge for yourself, as well as a guest room, then consider a pale blue - either going to grey, or going to green, or the nice sage/mossy green other people have suggested. All walls the same color. Take into consideration the furniture you are painting. Please - no "travel" themed decor - or "beachy/nautical" decor. These are too trendy and will get old real fast. You want something timeless. I would center the bed under the window, with full length drapery panels to frame the bed. Use a wicker/bamboo blind over the window. Add some color to the bed with a throw, or some large pillow shams. When the 2 night stands are in place, with a pair of lamps, the room will start to come together. I notice the carpet is tan - cover over some of this color with a lightly-patterned area rug, picking up the new wall color. I am guessing the larger chest will go at the other end of the room - put a lamp here also well, and with the addition of a comfy chair, a guest can read and relax.

• Nicole Collins

So many great suggestions- thank you so much! The size of the room combined with the hanging of the map makes the flow awkward- the room feels most spacious with the bed under the window, but that isn’t great feng shui (I have black out curtains and will hang them to see if that creates a pseudo headboard wall both in white and in the wall colour). I will paint the map trim the wall colour if I keep the bed under window as I think that’ll help too. The map as the headboard keeps the boos colours behind you while your sleeping and the iron bed means you can still see the map which I like for our kids. I’ll keep looking for a rug, throw, pillows, chair/bench and lamps. Wall colour is SW Eider white but it reads a strong purple undertone in the room, so combined with the SW mink colour of the bedside tables, minky is accent theme 🤷‍♀️😂

• Nicole Collins

And I think the bedside tables are too small and dainty for either bed orientation and I’ll look for something wider and more of a rustic rectangle wood shabby chic finishing as suggested by everdebz.

• everdebz

How nice new paint... the stands I posted were 'washed' and not rough/ rustic. A distressed wood piece opposite wall maybe chalk painted into aged softness.

I like those 2 you have - they're same height as the mattress which seems right.

• everdebz

It doesn't matter, but I find it odd how the bed has 'see through' showing the map. If bed stays there - balance large color [of map] -- consider a chalk painted on opposite wall of map.

Decorator Showhouse Chic Retreat · More Info

Woodside Decorator Showhouse · More Info

• Nicole Collins

Everdebz - I’ll move it back to the original wall tomorrow and see how that feels looking at the map instead.

• April

Is the map laminated? If not I would put paint a stain over it to subdue the colors and make it looked aged. That would mute the color tone. And you would have the soften look you are wanting.

• Nicole Collins

April - it’s just a wall paper, so I’ll look into the stain option as it would be a lot less expensive than covering it with a more muted tone if that would work - I was looking at this one today

• everdebz

Just t idea to 'bridge' map's water /green colors... and style of bed. Reversible other side is subtle.

Damask 5 Piece Reversible Quilt Bed Spread Coverlet Set, Blue, Queen · More Info

• Sharon

The new paint looks nice. I do like the bed positioned where the map is the 'headboard' for 2 reasons. As you mentioned, you won't see it when in bed for sleep; and you can see out the window. I am a fan of maps and globes for casual learning and familiarity with geography.

• Tara

I would take the framing off and blend the map into the wall with a color that matched the background of the map, so it looks more like a mural than a painting. You could start a relatively brighter blue to match the map then fade it out to something much lighter at the edges of the room.

• everdebz

Hi... :)

• Nicole Collins

Update…I can’t make the map work to my liking so I’m going to remove it - will share a completed photo in a couple weeks

• housegal200

Serene approach if map can be moved up. Hang white sheers entirely across window wall and pulled back by day.

CHISWICK GREEN STUDIOS LOFT APARTMENT · More Info

Ikea Krusning (available on Etsy if it's out of stock at Ikea)

• everdebz

Ok! ... and I doubt it could be repurposed for play room... I've seen wall maps with bright chairs, etc... not even the entire map, either.

• arcy_gw

I think your pic of the bed up against the map looks fabulous, present end tables included. I do see how the room is awkward and I would say under the window, visual on the bed as you walk in is best other than for the map. But it's your home and if you aren't happy no one will be!!