davitma

Help me finish my Living Room please, daughter's wedding in 6 weeks!

davitma

My daughter’s wedding in 6 weeks – we are hosting rehearsal dinner in home and I need help with finishing touches please.

We have been remodeling our home in Florida for a year and a half. The big pieces are in place, but I am experienceing decision fatigue and could use some advice to finish the room. I painted everything Swiss Coffee and love it, but I want to try to warm up the room. The only limitaton is Hubby says no window treatmets on the french doors.

Here are pictures of the room before and after I added in the rug and pillows. All construction debris and extraneous furniture will be removed soon. The tv is mounted on the wall already and we will eventually get a new wider media console.

I am thinking about a console table for behind the sofa you see when you walk in the front door, but the living room is two steps down, would that be weird? I also need suggestions for a table between the recliners, lighting and ideas for the big back wall behind the recliners. I like relaxed traditional with a little british colonial feel. Thanks for any suggestions!

• davitma

Thank you so much for taking a look decoenthusiaste. I’ll try to see if I can find some artwork or put mirror above the sideboard and possibly flank it with some art. The off white of the sideboard doesn’t look as flat in real life as it does in pictures. The piece was originally very dark which I wasn’t a huge fan of, and since it was a mass produced piece that I got for a steal, I opted for painting it. We tried it in the spot to how we liked furniture behind the recliners and I do think it balances the room some. I agree, the media credenza is too small, will definitely look for something wider when we stop the bleeding from all our current purchases. I will move the recliners fully on the rug. I’m looking for a console for behind the sofa facing the windows and a table for between the two chairs right now. I did consider a round entry table, but unfortunately the landing size does not really permit one, it would drive traffic too close to the stairs of the step down living-room and I would be worried people would fall. I love your idea of candles for the rehearsal dinner. With all of o ur other projects getting ready, I do not think my husband will be able to wire in lighting for the stairs. Thankfully, the rehearsal dinner is a casual style Texas BBQ outside.

• Cecilia

I think the sidebaord looks great! And with a beautiful large scale mirror over it, the scale will be great! I like the light color of the paint on it, really balances the white of the sofas. Looking lovely!

davitma thanked Cecilia

please help me figure out my tiny dining room and finishing my condo

love all the examples- i bought the light fixture that is glass except a bit bigger( CB2) with a teak base- i know i need to change my table like groveraxles i have a round table and wirong wood and color--- howver i love the nook idea= possiably when we renovate this couild be an option right now the width of the room is only 5 ft 2 inces and the doorway to the kitchen creates another proplem- i will post some up dates of where i am with this

Help me design my living room, please!!!!

Love the idea. Sorry tania for a late reply. Life got busy, so i put the house on hold. But as soon as winter goes away, i m planning to complete the living room this spring/summer. Love the inspiration pic you post, i will definately look into it. I am currently trying to pic out the wall color for the family room, seems really dark and makes the room look smaller than it is. I am looking for a lighter tone which would brighten up the space.( i do not have lots of windows) Any more suggestion, just buzz me. Thank you once again for thinking abt my room, suggestins are most welcome.

Please help me make my living room work extra for my family.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50242997/ Ikea has a small sectional that has built in storage. It looks quite nice in person and not expensive. I agree with the others that you should do an entire wall of storage. And maybe donate some of the toys the kiddies aren't playing with anymore. I would also look for coffee and occasional tables or maybe ottomans that incorporate storage.

need help updating my daughters room please,

The following pictures show the 100% certified organic baby pillow from Live Good. These pillows come with an organic insert stuffed with fibers from the kapok tree. These inserts are moisture-resistant, quick-drying, lightweight, completely hypo-allergenic, mold resistant and odorless. All Live Good products are handcrafted in California using 100% certified organic materials. Turtle: [https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-turtle-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48285908?lid=34936264[(https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-turtle-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48285908?lid=34936264) Elephant: [https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-elephant-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48283081[(https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-elephant-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48283081) Lion:[https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-lion-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48286439[(https://www.houzz.com/products/organic-baby-lion-cotton-pillow-prvw-vr~48286439)
  • homechef59

Given the time crunch, I think that consignment stores are your best friend. One other option would be to hire a staging company and rent some of their furniture. Some of them will sell you furniture, too. This way, if you didn't like something, you could simply send it back.

I would consider matching tables and lamps for each side of the entry area along with the rug.

I would find matching console tables to go behind each sofa. Smaller lamps and arrangement can go on them. Obviously, the TV wall needs a large entertainment arrangement. I would not use a large mirror on the opposite wall because it will only reflect the TV. I would consider flanking each side of the white sideboard with large floor lamps. This will spread out the effect of the sideboard and provide much needed additional lighting.

davitma thanked homechef59
  • davitma

Thank you Cecilia. I have a large mirror coming for my bedroom, but I am going to try it above the sideboard at least for the wedding since nobody will be going into our bedroom. If I like it there, awesome, if not, it will be a placeholder until I find the perfect piece of art. It's this mirror from Gabby Home (try to visualize it without the pendant light and lamp in front of it). The blue tape above the sideboard in the picture above it represents its size.

Homechef59 .- thank you. I love consignment stores and that's where I found the sideboard and some other small decor pieces. I keep looking for a console there, but nothing has caught my eye yet. I can only fit one console, behind the sofa closest to the entry. The other area is a walkway between the kitchen and the rest of the bedrooms/my office. I am going to look online for a few possible options that could quick ship.

For the entry, at least for the wedding, the exisiting oak side board will likely be staying where it is since I am running out of time and have so many other areas to work on to get the home presentable. I will probably stick a big plant and maybe a chair on the opposite side of the entry from it for balance.

• KW

@davitma - just read this entire thread - what fun! You mentioned your rehearsal dinner will be outside - from the view through the doors, it looks like that area is ready to go! I wanted to chime in on a couple items - console cabinet - I love it & was thinking just what @Cecilia said -that it balances the white of the sofas. I think it plays well with the french doors which are a great feature too. Also agree with no drapes or panels on the doors. As for mirror above cabinet - my preference would be art because it will add texture to the room. The mirror will have only the TV to reflect. Lamps - my preference is one between the chairs & maybe even a table lamp not a floor lamp. Sconces might be nice over the cabinet on either side of the art (or mirror if you keep it) I thought the rug should be pulled forward almost to TV console so the chairs are only half on the rug rather than more onto the rug. I like to see more of the rug pattern! Maybe you can reward good dog Benny with an upgraded toy basket too. 😄 Last but not least - about the candles on the steps - OMG! Talk about a trip hazard with a fire hazard to boot! I hope they’ll be battery operated if you do that.

• davitma

Hi KW. Thanks for commenting. I will try pulling the rug forward to see how it looks. I thought about sconces also, I might have to do lamps on the consul for the wedding but will explore the option of some neat sconces on either the artwork or me or whatever I end up keeping. You are so correct, Benny does need an upgraded toy basket, he does love them and has way too many for that small basket😉 I would definitely use battery operated candles, I also thought there might be some kind of stuck on light so I can put on the steps until my husband gets a chance to wire them at least for the party. I can’t imagine what it would be like if somebody has a few margaritas in them.

• KW

@davitma About those margaritas - it’s not IF they have a few in them….it’s WHEN! 🎉

• davitma

You are correct KW😉 Here are a few pictures of the entry. For the wedding at least the sideboard will stay. Should I move the antique lamp? It’s my grandmothers and I love it, but it can be moved her room out of the living room. That room is eventually going to be a bourbon room/lounge/hang-out listen to music room, but that’s a plan for another day.

• homechef59

Here is something that you need to factor into your thinking. Under normal circumstances with a completely furnished home if you are having a party with a crush of people, you would be removing valuables and furniture to create a better flow, protect valuables from accidents and permit more bodies in the space.

Yes, I would remove your mother's lamp. It's too short for the space in any case, but given it's special status, I'd put it somewhere out of the way that is safe. It's inevitable that someone will start putting drinks on the table. You also want your furniture temporarily placed so that people pass through the space, don't linger and pass to the backyard and pool.

For the party only, I'm going to suggest moving the two sofas into a "L" arrangement to make the flow outside easier.

• KW

@davitma For the lamp question, I agree with @homechef59 to move it. I do like your new entry rug! I’m not sure about the L shape for couch suggestion although I see the point of visually clearing the path to french doors. From the pic you show of the original owner’s drapes, we can see what it looks like to have couch parallel to console wall & two chairs in front of french doors. I guess it depends on how many guests you’ll have & what the width of your walkways are - photos are deceiving. I’d want folks to walk behind the chairs where they are now & on the wood floor rather than across my rug in front of chairs. Maybe that means pulling rug & chairs forward to maximize path behind chairs & having french door on left standing open - leave right one closed……

• homechef59

The "L" that I was referring to is a floating structure and not up against the back wall. The back of one sofa faces the front door, the back of the other sofa faces the credenza with a path between sofa and the back door. This creates a natural channel using the backs of the sofas. The two chairs face the front door with their backs to the French doors. The sofa with it's back to the front door would get a console table with lamp(s). This would cause the flow to naturally go past the sofa arrangement and through the French doors. You don't want the chairs placed so that someone wants to walk around them or through them as they arrive.

• davitma

So just finished planting some pretties in the front of my house and by the pool. We actually don’t even need to draw traffic through the living room. I’ll take some pictures to illustrate, but they are walkways from the front door both to the left and right. People will come through the front door and go down the hallway right inTo the kitchen where we have a French door going out onto the patio.. We may open one of the French doors to let people come in and sit in the living room especially the older folks like my 90-year-old father and his wife. We’re having a tent set up outback some hopefully most of the activity will be there and in the kitchen. Please excuse the mess in the pictures, I just wanted to show the layout. As you can see we still need to work on setting up the back porch as well. We thought we were gonna have enough time to tile, but my husband has to work on some drainage issues so I’ll probably get an outdoor rug to throw over the nasty existing rug on the back patio..

• KW

@davitma Wow - what a perfect setup and what a beautiful home! Great that most of the party is outdoors for so many reasons. Have you explained all of these goings on to Benny? He looks a bit puzzled as he’s watching you snap pics! 😆

• davitma

Thanks KW. Benny loves to follow me around and regularly makes appearances in my photos. I’m surprised his sidekick kitty buddies Moose and Poppy haven’t made an appearance of their own yet. Soon, probably. There is still so much work to do around here, I am overwhelmed. Having opinions and suggestions on here definitely helps. I’m going to move my grandmas lamp per your and homechef59’s recommendation, then try another lamp and some artwork there.

Also, decided on this set of lamps for the sideboard for now. I love the chinoiserie style and the other set I bought looked yellow and cheap. One day maybe we can spring for sconces, but these were only 160 for the set, so for now they’ll work. I’ll circle back for tips on styling the rest of the sideboard when I get the mirror I ordered that I’m going to try there.

• davitma

Working on the entry today. I could really use some opinions. I pulled the bench I had in the guest bedroom to put on the wall opposite the sideboard. I have a mirror I could use above the bench or should there be art there? I’m trying to pull together things I own to make work for the wedding.

I have a series of three prints that I could use over the sideboard. I measured them out and wrapping paper and put them on the wall. Does three seem like too much for the space/is it too tall? Should I only use two of them? I just placed a lamp from the kitchen and a plant on the sideboard to see how it would look.

• davitma

Or… should I put the three prints over the bench and mirror over the sideboard?

• KW

@davitma My vote is mirror over bench - it makes sense there as one can set their stuff on bench to free up hands to make personal adjustments one sees are needed from looking into mirror. And, a mirror over the sideboard will detract from built in mirror in sideboard. Two pictures over sideboard. Better scale on both sides of entry with only two. My faves are 1st & 3rd but just personal choice. I do like you things you’ve shopped from your own stuff! They balance well,are complementary to each other. The plant softens the area & the lamp gold blends with frames. Very nice!

ETA You are very organized & clever to use the cut outs to mock up. Sure made it easy for me to figure out which looks more pleasing to me.

• mnmamax3

Exciting times!! I think you're making some headway here. The one thing I noticed is the lighting. Your night and day pictures are like, well, night and day! The wall color and pilows and everything looks so nice in the natural light. I would suggest changing out your light bulbs for ones in the 3000K range.

• davitma

@KW - thanks for your vote. I though it might be too tall with 3 pictures too. The wrapping paper idea came after so many military moves and countless times putting holes in the wall, moving things around, and patching until I got it just right. I also prefer print 1 and 3. I can use the middle one in our guest bath, so bonus there. The lamp from the kitchen needs to go back there, but I do think I will look for another gold one to complement the frames.

@mnmamax3 Thank you. I didn't even pay attention to the lights. Half the time, I put on the lights just to take pictures. I just went and checked and my husband changed out all of our ceiling lights to LED ones from Costco and they are in the 2700 range. He also has bulbs hooked up to Aleksa. I swear I never know the name of some of the lights he sets up. It took me a month to figure out how to turn on my under cabinet kitchen lights:) The led lightbulb in the new sideboard lamps came with them, so I have no idea what they are, but I will try to change everything out or make sure any new lighting added are in the 3000 range. The one thing I do know is that I am not a fan of the daylight bulbs. Too cold for me.

• mnmamax3

@davitma . I totally get it - daylight can be tooo cool. Here's a chart I found and the middle should be just right!

• homechef59

I like the set up. Two pictures. Good idea using the craft paper to make a mock up. Just be careful with the height of the mirror. The center should be at 57 inches. Because I have a tall husband, I cheat it up to 60 inches. Keeps peace in the family.

I'm into Chinoiserie, too.

• Sarah

Congratulations! What a wonderful thread and your home is beautiful. I recommend keeping the tables mostly clear for drinks to set down during the party. Get some absorbent coasters and scatter them so people know not to wreck the tables ;)

If you are concerned about elderly people walking through the home, put away the small rugs for smooth floors instead. Can’t wait to see pics with the rooms set up on party day!

• davitma

homechef59 - thanks for the tip on the mirror height. I hung the two pictures and mirror over the weekend and I like how they look.

mnmamax3 - thank you the chart is helpful. I found some pretty silver lamps at an estate sale this weekend and had them fitted for shades and light bulbs at a great little shade store here in Orlando. The bulbs are 3 way eco halogen lights with a 2900 temperature.

Sarah - thank you. There is definitely so much to consider to get the home ready and we want to make sure it is safe for everyone.

Here are the progress pictures from over the weekend. My daughter and I took a ride to a great little shop in Amelia Island and I found a beautiful antique French pot board server to use as a console table behind the sofa. I added my estate sale lamps but definitely need to figure a way to hide their cords and style the table. I also hung the pictures and mirror in the foyer. Next, I need to find a lamp and plants for the sideboard, some artwork for the wall to the left of the door and maybe a plant or two for the floor. My biggest need though now is for a table between the recliners. We do not need lighting on it as I ordered a small floor lamp for next to the recliner on the left for my husband. Any suggestions for tables that would look nice?

• Cecilia

Looking gorgeous!

• KW

@davitma You showed a pic of the two chairs with a table between them - 4 days ago in this thread. It looked like a great fit -no? Love the pot board server! Beautiful! And the lamps & shades too. As for hiding the cords - tricks I’ve used - black zip tie cord to table leg top & bottom of leg to pull the cord taut. Or, I’ve also used museum putty - a big piece of it affixed to back of table leg top & bottom with the cord pressed into it. That last holds pretty well but sometimes has to be redone. Your entry looks fab too. I do love the touches of blue in rug & accessories & pillows. Thank you for showing us your progress pictures. Sounds like you & your daughter had a fun shopping trip together.

• davitma

Here’s the existing table I have between the chairs. It’s an old Hekman piece I’ve had for 20 years. I thought it might be too tall as it is 28.5 inches tall and the arms of the recliners are 23.5 inches tall. Would it look dumb if my husband cut don the legs a bit? It’s also kind of beat up, so I’d have to refinish it. I thought I might paint it and use it in my kitchen, which will be the next area I concentrate on.

• Kelly

Big tall plants! Artwork! A plantation style fan with nice big leaf blades would do that British colonial vibe. There’s not enough contrast for that big room. Consider painting the window trim in a color or dark neutral to bring more focus to those beautiful doors. Texture on the walls in the way of picture frame molding and chair rail could also add a lot of texture without bringing in new colors.

• davitma

KW - thanks for the tips on hiding the cords. I think I need my husband to put a longer one on the lamp to the left and once he does, I’ll try your ideas.

• davitma

Hi Kelly, I agree, we need some more contrast. Husband is adamantly against painting the french doors. I would like to add picture frame molding to the room, entry and halls at a later date. We'll also look into planking our ceilings. We just ran out of time to get everything done before our target date for our daughter's wedding. My immediate need is to put the house together enough for a big shower then rehearsal dinner. After the wedding we'll turn our attention back to other projects and we have some big ones coming up (a large detached garage, outdoor kitchen and Bourbon Room/Lounge off of the livingroom).

• KW

@davitma - changing out lamp cord for longer one will work but so will using an extension cord for the one lamp! Just tie up the uneeded length of the extension & slide it under couch to hide it. The table between chairs is ok taller but on reconsidering, maybe it’s a bit dainty & I think shortening the legs will mess up the proportions. But I think it works until you find a table you like. Is this table too small to go under mirror in entry? It looks like a nice companion to the vintage sideboard - maybe after you find another table? FWIW, I don’t agree with @Kelly suggestions for painting etc. I think this room ypu’re putting together has enough contrast in the furniture styles & pieces. Adding chair railing & molding to walls will IMO make the room too formal & cluttered. We all have such different styles - makes it fun to hear the ideas, yes?

• davitma

KW - we do have an extension cord already there for the other lamp and the one well put by my husbands chair, so I can either add another extension cord into the other receptacle or have my husband lengthen the cord - whatever is safest. I’ll keep hunting for another table and use the existing one in a pinch. I actually like the bench in the foyer, so I’ll probably keep it there. The mirror may eventually go away if I find pretty artwork I like in the future, but it suits for now. It is interesting to hear everyone’s take on things. I do love plain white molding in a room, but it would definitely be way down on my list. I may find I can live without it since I like traditional, but I am going for a southern relaxed traditional feel.

• davitma

Tried this vintage bamboo scroll painting in between the French doors. Is this too small for the area?

• Cecilia

Yeah, I think it is too smal for that spot. Love that piece though! Hope you can find another cool spot for it!

davitma thanked Cecilia
  • KW

@davitma - Not too small - but, as a single piece that fits the space so exactly, it almost seems too wide. My imagination sees that space with 2 or 3 smaller pieces hung vertically. The bare wall space around each of the smaller pieces would, I think, make them look more intentional for the space rather than a piece that just happens to fit the space.

davitma thanked KW
  • davitma

Thanks Cecilia and KW. I will find another spot for it. I was thinking it might need a few pieces hung vertically. I will have to keep searching for just the right artwork/etc. for the space. I am sure I will find another spot for it.

• ptreckel

I think placing art between the doors draws attention away from the view beyond the doors…and not in a good way. Leave the space empty, please.

• Kelly

That wall is already so full with windows I wouldn’t add any art to it

• homechef59

I wouldn't put anything between the two doors. I like the unobstructed view. I don't think that you want to pick out the trim, either. I like the clean palette look.

• davitma

Ptreckel, Kelly and homechef59 - thank you. My husband agrees with all of you. I will leave the space empty. I’m good with that - One less thing I need to worry about😉

• mnmamax3

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/mercer41-humzah-end-table-w004783557.html?piid=

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/kelly-clarkson-home-adagio-pedestal-end-table-w002844590.html?piid=

These are all from wayfair and 21-23 inches. I think a dark wood table gets lost between the two armchairs and you need something beautiful to stand out against the white cabinet behind. Repeat the color again soemwhere else in the room. These were all from Wayfair - i just don't have time to copy all the links.

Eveerything is really coming along nicely!! You do have such a nice space to work with!

• homechef59

I went shopping at Ballard Designs for a table. I realize that you want a British Colonial vibe. I tried to keep that in mind.

• davitma

Thanks for the suggestions mnmamax3 and homechef59. For the side table, I do want something to stand out against the white cabinet behind. I’m not necessarily stuck on British colonial vibe, relaxed traditional would be good. I did look at the first two in your post homechef59 at Ballards the other day in Jacksonville. I really liked the versatility of nesting tables, but after seeing them in person, I did not like the tone of the wooden ones and the antique mirror tops on the other ones would be a hard sell to my husband, the ones I saw had a very busy pattern. I’m definitely going to check out the others and on Wayfair too. My sister is bringing some furniture down right before the wedding that I will use in our yet to be designed Bourbon room (she sold her home and is moving into her beach house), maybe something in the bunch of stiff she is bring down will work until I find something I love.

• davitma

What do you think of this table between the chairs for now? It was my grandmothers and in my office. Is it too small? - it measures 18x18x24. I’d have to refinish the top if I use it, it’s showing its age and 17 military moves.

• davitma

We’d only use it to set a drink on it, or a pair of glasses.

• KW

I think it’s perfect!

davitma thanked KW
  • davitma

Thank you KW. I do think I like the scale better than the big table I had between there in earlier pictures. When I try to find something new, it will likely be smaller like my grandmother's table.

• Yvonne Martin

If you don't have time to refinish it, just put a tray on it and call it a day.

• Cecilia

That table looks perfect!

• homechef59

It's the right size. No one will notice if it has a few dings. It's a family piece after all.