Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rock_lee5

Metal strap 'X' shape bracing vs Diagonal wooden cut in bracing.

Rock Lee
2 years ago

I am building a new home and for sheathing the builder is using thermoply (which looks like a new norm in Texas now). On houzz.com only people told me that thermoply is ok as long as builder is using bracing which is can be metal strap, metal cut in or wooden, which is basically diagonal wood cut in. I saw in my community some homes are diagonally wooden braced and some are with metal strap in X shape. I don't know which I will get, but it made me curious, and now I am wondering whic

one is stronger? Metal strap in X shape or diagonal wooden cut in brace. One thing which I noticed is single floor homes with comparatively big walls were braced with metal strap in X shape but might it's not right observation.

Wooden cut in bracing

Metal 'X' shape bracing

Comments (11)

• res2architect
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The building code is not the standard you should use. When the news helicopter flies over the wreckage from a freak wind storm you want your house to be the one still standing.

Ask the builder what the additional cost would be for Huber's Zip System exterior wall sheathing.

Rock Lee thanked res2architect
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Put the metal bracing in all the walls running north-south. Put the wood bracing in all the walls running east-west. If the house collapses to the north or south, the wood bracing is stronger. If the house collapses to the east or west, the metal bracing is stronger.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    2 years ago

Or you could simply install 3/8" plywood along all walls, nailed for shear. Be sure to install hold downs on all sill plates.

Rock Lee thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • res2architect
    2 years ago

7/16" OSB would be the cheapest sheathing option.

• Rock Lee
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@res2architect @Virgil Carter Fine Art problem is i cant say anything to the builder. its a volume builder and I have asked him in the past what if I want to use zip system and pay you the additional cost? he told me they cant do it, it is what it is.

• Rock Lee
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect that sounds like a good idea but only problem would be I will be in that home and waiting for it to collapse.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

There is a very good chance, as long as they are properly installed, either method will work well.

Rock Lee thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • 3onthetree
    2 years ago

If you don't get to choose the sheathing for the contractor, then you probably don't get to dictate whether he use 1x4 wood let-in vs steel (either Tee shape diagonal let-in or flush wall straps in 'X' or 'V'). The X straps is real easy and quick for them to do. Of course the siding fasteners might land on the steel but the siders will just skip those fasteners, eh.

Rock Lee thanked 3onthetree
  • res2architect
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The T shaped wall bracing (Simpson TWB) is for racking resistance during construction rather than long term strength for structure walls. The options for long term racking resistance are the L shaped rolled compression bracing (SIMPSON RCWB), the flat strap wall bracing (Simpson WB) and the flat strap coiled wall bracing (Simpson WBC).

The answer to the OP's original question regarding which is stronger, the design and detailing of the metal bracing must be equivalent in strength to a continuous structural panel sheathing system as prescribed in the applicable building code. This is usually done using the manufacturer's design tools available online.

• Rock Lee
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@3onthetree you are right, I cant tell my builder what type of bracing to use. Objective of my question actually is to learn about construction. I am a software engineer and I have no idea about construction but since I have started my home the whole process looked very interesting to me and I started watching youtube videos and reading blogs to learn about it but sometimes there are things which you dont find online and then you have to ask experts. Like @res2architect here explained really well about sheathing and bracing in one of my older post and when @GN Builders L.L.C mentioned 22 steel gauge I had no idea so I googled so now I know its about steel thickness and it really matters. So far everybody in this post have been very helpful. Thank you guys :)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area