Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naperfamily

I have this huge wall unit of shelves. Not sure what to do. Help!

Julie
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Update: better! I want to change baskets to something lighter color. also I have gold and white frames. thoughts ? should i stick to gold or white only? Also need to change chair.

Comments (18)

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

I love that wall. So much storage!

I would resist the impulse to paint it white (because that's all we see today). All your trim and doors match the wood tone, and it works with your walls.

Pop over to Pinterest and watch some videos on how to style shelves. You don't seem to have a lot of books, so maybe more baskets, pretty boxes, photographs, etc.

Julie thanked Mrs Pete
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Julie what kind of help do you want? Updating the shelves themselves or how to put stuff on them?

Julie thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Tootsie
    2 years ago

To the back of shelving, add a textured wallpaper that is the same color of walls…like a grass cloth.

Julie thanked Tootsie
  • worthy
    2 years ago

The long-deceased architect of this home loved built-ins everywhere.

As noted, nowadays considered passe' and to be sprayed Joanna Gaines whiter than white.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

The shelves look very functional for an office. I would paint just the backs of the shelves in a warm white, or use a simple white wallpaper on the backs. Then arrange your shelves with better balance using large baskets for enclosed storage, books, and just a few large accessories. The lighter background would break up all the wood.

Olde Cypress Remodel · More Info

Julie thanked calidesign
  • Rehabit
    2 years ago

These are a few of my pictures idea for similar project . I wanted to get Away from dark wood ( mine are a dark stain oak) I’m wanting cozy reading library vibe vs office ive got samples green and blues but haven’t decided yet on colors

Julie thanked Rehabit
  • esmer301
    2 years ago

Some ideas

Woodforest · More Info

Highland Park Classic · More Info

Las Tunas Dr., Arcadia, California · More Info

Custom Cabinetry · More Info

Julie thanked esmer301
  • loobab
    2 years ago

I am not sure what your question is, as Hallett stated.

Books can be very heavy, especially textbooks, and can make your shelves bow.

I would suggest placing them on the lowest shelf so they have the support of the cabinets below.

Julie thanked loobab
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

Hmmm… not a pro. My first impression is to paint it. Not sure if I’d go white with a different wall color, but I’d consider it. Usually I like to keep wood color, but somehow this looks a bit too office-y (unless that’s what you desire.). Apple-pie-order has some great suggestions on how to organize your stuff. Overall- I’d definitely keep the whole wall of shelves no matter what color. I’m envious of that storage space!

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

That heavy wood grain will probably show through it you paint. To change the actual shelves a bit, consider using luan or foam core to put a new color (paint) or texture (fabric or wallpaper) in the back of them. Style with 1/3 books, 1/3 large decor items (big enough to be identified without having to walk behind the desk) and 1/3 open space. Books can stand, lean, stack and support other items. Best if they're hard cover and the soft covers go behind the doors below. If you use framed photos, layer them in threes with a larger one behind two smaller ones. Limit the trios to alternate shelves, not side by side ones. Avoid lining things up like soldiers except for rows of books. Anything that needs to be accessed regularly should be on the lower shelf. The baskets can make good receptacles for paperwork and other items and tools that you need quick access to.

Julie thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Julie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I would like to do something to update the shelves without having to paint the whole unit. Also, I need to work on arranging stuff on the shelves. If I did a peel and stick on the back what would you recommend? I searched online for pics but not much out there with ideas for wood shelves, mostly white. One other question: should I paint the wainscoting and ceiling trim in white? If so, would I paint the ceiling trim on the shelving unit? Thanks for all your help!

• calidesign
    2 years ago

I'd leave the wainscoting so it matches the shelving, but I would paint the small crown molding to match your wall, just on the walls without the builtin unit. I'd look for a wallpaper that has a bit of texture, like grasscloth, in a light color. You can cut it to fit and use double sided tape if you can't find what you want in peel and stick. That lets you try out the lighter color before comitting to paint or something more permanent.

Julie thanked calidesign
  • felizlady
    2 years ago

It’s a great office. If you have more storage than you need, you could dedicate a couple of cabinets to “other” storage. Vary the contents of the bookcases so office related stuff is near the desk, and photos and nice accessories are further up or toward the ends. Can you put the printer on the big base shelf?

Julie thanked felizlady
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Stick your peel and stick to foam core or luan cut to size. That way you don't ruin the finish on the cabinets with the sticky stuff.

• oreet
    2 years ago

Your desk has an industrial look to it which doesn’t co-ordinate with the bookshelves behind. Assuming the desk stays and you don’t want to paint the unit then just cover the back in a black colour (wrapped foam core as some suggested). Add a new straight valance (get rid of the dip) and change your pulls to something chunky, industrial looking in black matte.

Julie thanked oreet
  • ptreckel
    2 years ago

If this is truly a functional study, please turn your books around so that their spines can be read. The whole thing with only showing the pages is absolutely USELESS. Is this a real study? Then make it so. Load up those shelves with books. Authenticity is far more important than some asinine “aesthetic” defined by “designers” as “on-trend.” There. And, yes…I am an academic. Books=Life.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Your new arrangment is better, but instead of lining up all the frames, boxes, and books in a straight line across the shelves, I think you need to vary the shelves they are on, at least between the 3 middle shelves, leaving the countertop clear for useful items. Turn the books around, or if they are decorative only, donate them. You don't need every shelf to be filled all the way.