Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelcap

offcentered window

angelcap
2 years ago

I can’t put this master bed anywhere else except on this wall. The problem is the window. It’s not centered and makes the bed look off balance. I tried a framed print for some balance but I hate it. What else can I do to make it look balanced?

Comments (27)

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago

You can extend the curtain beyond the window if symmetry is important to you.

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This ^^ creates the illusion of a second window, although I don't really like faux anything.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago
    Agreed you have two basic options

1- create an illusion
    Basically with curtains

2- accentuate the asymmetry so it looks intentional.
    That would mean moving the bed to the left. And creating some sort of seating area by the window.

You might be able to rework the room in another way if you post more pictures.

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Totally agree with flopsycat1.

Since the center of your bed is located beneath the left frame of the right window, create a faux left window of equal size using 1"x4" boards.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Not enough photos to determine, but could the bed be cornered left of the window?

Anita Diaz · More Info

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

Can’t the night stand on right be removed to slide the bed over?

• angelcap
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The nightstand is right up against the wall which has access to the outside by way of French doors so I wouldn’t be able to move the bed over. I will post a better picture which shows this

• felizlady
    2 years ago

I would drape the whole wall and add a nice-looking headboard. Center the bed on the wall. Forget that window. You have another. The nightstands are small and the lamps should be much more similar in size. I like to have a comfortable chair in the master bedroom if there is enough space.
    Add more art…it’s just not enough to be “grateful”.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

You can try bed to the left.

• User
    2 years ago

Why only this wall? What are on the other walls?

• Barbara Lange
    2 years ago

Definitely do drapes across the back of the headboard and lamps- even blackout drapes so no light comes in through that window at all. Raise the rod up a few inches above it. Agreed that the lamps should be closer in size.

• Connie Stackhouse
    2 years ago

I have the same situation, but it has never bothered me. My other 3 walls have an entry door, bathroom door and double closets. I guess you can get used to anything.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

This could be your room! Add gorgeous pendant (something great from Ikea that pulls eye forward). Paint room ivory from your bed cover. Curtain mustard color or ivory. It's a really great solution. I would leave the window with sheers or uncovered--blackout curtains not necessary because the curtain covered wall solves the problem. To add more symmetry, get identical bedside lamps and nightstands as budget allows. (Thrift shop, Craigslist are great sources for matching bedside tables and lamps. This doesn't have to be an expensive redo.)

• S Mil
    2 years ago

Without a drawing with dimensions I can’t be sure, but ……
    Move bed further to left,
    make what appears to be a dresser into a “night stand” by putting in under window (remove mirror if it has one).
    Might be enough room to left of bed for a small shelf in lieu of a night stand.
    Wall sconce lights with adjustable arms.

• Lonely Dreamer
    2 years ago

Maybe you can angle the bed from the right corner?

• angelcap
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone. I’m going to start with a headboard and see how that works

• partim
    2 years ago

If you're planning to add a headboard and leave the bed in its current position, you'll need something more than that framed print to balance that side of the room. The print is small and the lamp is also undersized. You need things on that side that are larger.

A wider curtain rod would also help. As it is, you're squashing the curtain into a very narrow strip to show the window glass. You need stack back room on either side so the curtain hangs properly.

Check out the post by @User above.

• Emily
    2 years ago

I’d suggest going for a lower height headboard so it doesn’t block window.

• User
    2 years ago

Honestly I think it's fine to block the window a little. it's fairly common. There's another huge window in that room if more natural light is desired. an overlapping headboard will add to the layered "intentionally asymmetrical" look.

• angelcap
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Finally got around to problem solve this room. It works for now

• olychick
    2 years ago

Great fabric!

• S Mil
    2 years ago

Agree with olychick. Colors in fabric will give you nice palette to pull from. I notice the fish added to your lamps - that’s fun. Are you thinking about pillow covers to coordinate ?

• tfitz1006
    2 years ago

I love it. just beef up your pillow game and you're good.

• angelcap
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes going to stick with same blue for added pillows on bed. Thx everyone. This room was truly hard for me. It’s a beach house hence the fish fabric. Wanted some whimsy.

• User
    2 years ago

great job, and I love the window treatment! I would move the 2nd paddle a little bit to the left (so it's centered between the 1st paddle and the window).

• angelcap
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thankyou. I’ll consider thst