Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_961680253

Any suggestions on curb appeal on the exterior of our home?

HU-961680253
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi! We have lived in this house a year now and are ready to make some updates. Yay! We would like to keep the main exterior sw modern gray. Any suggestions on paint for brick or front door and garage door? Should we add a railing to the front porch? Should we add wood accents? Should we keep the rocks/retaining wall in the front. I want it to feel simple and cozy. We are lacking the curb appeal I have always dreamed of. HELP!!

Comments (18)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Paint the window trim dark.

• HU-961680253
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! We would love to have dark window trim but our grid in our windows is white and non removable unless we buy completely née windows. :(

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Ok, until you can do that, what about wood window boxes?

Nice light fixture under the front porch?

What do you think of wood shingles (can coordinate with window boxes if you go that route) on the two front elevation, upstairs “dormer” things?

HU-961680253 thanked HU-187528210
  • HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Example

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Or maybe some more stone?

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

I like the cedar shingles and shutters HU-...210 pictured above ... those accents would warm up your house nicely. I'd put the shingles only on the triangular section above your entry. I wouldn't add a railing.

HU-961680253 thanked nickel_kg
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

I would suggest using landscaping to add color, pattern and texture to your home. After looking at the blowup photo of the entry I would suggest adding trim at the bottoms of the board and batten siding. It looks a bit unfinished as it is. Also, I would suggest painting the brick columns at the entry the same color as the house. Good luck!

HU-961680253 thanked Norwood Architects
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

There are so many different materials already, I wouldn’t add another.

My goal would be unifying all of the surfaces.

This house has a very unified look, even with a variety of materials. Do some searches for lots more like this, to get an idea of a direction to go.

I would definitely change your brick columns to painted wood, if budget allows. If not, I’d paint them in a heartbeat! I think a wood garage and front door would look nice, too, again, if budget allows.

• HU-961680253
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all very much! I ultimately would love to change our whole exterior color but budget does not allow that right now. If I painted the columns would I want to leave the brick on the garage as is? Was also thinking about doing a white garage door with a cedar front door. Idk, I’m not an expert just want to love the exterior of our home.

Appreciate all the suggestions!

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I want to apologize … somehow I completely missed this photo:

Besides the cutie there :) … it really shows things better. I was wrong — I wouldn’t paint the columns or brick. It looks nicely cohesive in this shot. If possible at some point, I’d change to wood columns, though. I think they would flow so much better than the brick.

I hope Celery or another poster with mock-up skills sees this and could show you some subtle changes.

• HU-961680253
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Jinx! Pajama day at school today. :) I just added this photo a few minutes ago. I realized all of them had the garage door up. I really appreciate your feedback.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Pajama day is so fun! :)

• K Laurence
    2 years ago

I like your house as is, I think it has a nice understated look. The only thing I would do is perhaps paint the front door in another color & get professuional help for the landscaping . I think a landscape designer could really enhance your otherwise very nice home. Something else, I notice people often overlook the value & beauty of exterior lanscape lighting. i wouldn’t spend the $ to change the garage doors, I see no reason to make them a focal point, they’re fine.

HU-961680253 thanked K Laurence
  • HU-961680253
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you K Laurence. I agree, landscaping can use a major upgrade. I think I’ll save that for my winter research project and be ready to plant in the spring.

I still feel like it’s missing something. It looks very ”blah” to me. Maybe new light fixtures? 🤷‍♀️ Also, not in love with garage and front door color. I put some color swatches on my back patio door to see if any other colors would look nice. I’m at a loss.

Just thinking out loud. :) Appreciate your feedback.

• TBL from CT
    2 years ago

The large wide expanse of concrete and the dark garage doors are dominating the scene. Personally, I would paint the garage doors the same color as the house to detract from the size. A heavily planted left side with a feature tree and some significant shrubs will anchor the left. A line of low shrubs across the house at the walkway will also bring the eye there.

HU-961680253 thanked TBL from CT
  • chispa
    2 years ago

What really catches my eye is that oddly positioned square window to the left of the garage. An unfortunate design choice. Is that a window in a staircase to the basement?

• HU-961680253
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I agree chispa. Yes, it is the staircase to the basement.