Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandaalice_uluhan

kitchen design help : cabinet color and lighting

salamandaark 5
2 years ago

Hi guys ! We’re getting ready to paint our kitchen cabinets. I picked out SW Greek Villa for thé top and SW acacia haze for the bottom. First question is if the two tone is good for this size kitchen, if it will go with the browns and creams of the granite.
Will the acacia be too gray ? Will green villa be too white ? I really want a good green neutral, and am worried acacia will read gray and has a low LVR.
We’re not changing the counter, backsplash, or appliances right now.

There is one good size window, and we’re updating the lighting. I am debating a pendant light for above the - but with the low ceiling soffit that is staying, I’m not sure it would work. Yes/no?

Comments (19)

• jck910
    2 years ago

It is very difficult to paint with with visible grain even for the pros. IMO neither color goes with the backsplash and we cannot see the counters

• salamandaark 5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Does this picture help see the counters, hardware, and backsplash more? What colors would you think pair well?

• salamandaark 5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We’re redoing floors with red oak - this will tie into the floors in the rest of the house. And I’ve got a runner for the cabinet area. I’m kind of stuck on painting the cabinets. I just can’t stand the yellow grainy consistency of them. No paint suggestions then?

• thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

Sorry - I agree with what herb said. Your scheme could potentially work IF appliances matched and backsplash was simple white to match new uppers. More pics of overall space and your overall home ‘feel’ is needed in order for us to comment on specific colors if you have your heart set on painting. In any case, I’d recommend actually installing the floors as you describe and then posting better photos. You will want to paint last - messy, destructive flooring work done first.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

wait till redoak floors are in. gel stain for the cabs if you despise them so much....darken and change tone.... get matching appliances..... ..interesting cup pulls/ handles etc then coordinate light counters and backsplash. with a little darkening to cabs and light counters and splash e ONE WALL set up with window and table there .....you can make a good looking space. . Cabinets are not the problem but a tweak/adjustment to the tone can be done and then change/coordinate the pallette of other elements including wall color and lighting....in addition to other things.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"I just can’t stand the yellow grainy consistency of them"

So you will end up with a painted grainy consistency then that may make the grain look more pronounced. I would wait on the cabinet painting personally until I could change them out.

• meanduschi
    2 years ago

I don't see how your paint choices will improve things. It seems there are already too many mismatched styles going on. Totally understandable wanting to paint the cabinets, I would, too. However, it's a really big job if you're doing it right, and unless you have an overall plan for all the finishes in the room you could wind up being unhappy with the results. Change out the light fixtures, they're dated and inadequate. No pendant on the soffit.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Your paint is a definite no--does not go with the back splash/counter AT ALL. to top it off oak is not a paintable surface if you want the painted smooth look. The grain will always show and people will wonder why you painted oak. Going a darker stain again takes you far from your other elements. If you change the tones of your cupboards you will have to keep going with the back splash and counter. Perhaps hanging on until you have the money for a complete gut is a better plan in the long run.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I don’t think your two tone colors will work if you are keeping the countertop and backsplash. They are warm and your new colors read “cool”. I understand not liking your oak kitchen. I didn’t like mine either so I refaced it. If you are determined to get rid of the oak, consider a creamy, warm white. my kitchen is Creamy by Sherwin Williams. And yes, you CAN cover the grain. You need to sand the doors well, cover with a dark primer and do two coats of paint. Although my doors are new, the side panels are not and you cannot see the grain because my painters did a good job. Please reconsider using the green someplace else in your home. Go all white with the cabinets so you have options when you’re ready to remove the countertop and backsplash. If you’re open to it, remove the backsplash now, repair the wall and paint it with the creamy paint in a low sheen. I’d rather have the wall matching than an old backsplash that makes my newly painted kitchen look more dated.
    Here is a photo of my side panels and a before and after photo of my kitchen.

• salamandaark 5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love your new glass cabinets. In person, is the SW creamy noticeably off white?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

It’s definitely not “white-white” in person. It leans towards ivory but has a richer feel. My house is mostly Antique White walls and the kitchen is .. well, creamier white. Get a sample to see it in your house.
    Yes, I love the glass doors. My backsplash is beadboard and it goes up the back wall of the glass cabinets too.

• Jeanne Cardwell
    2 years ago

I would start by painting uppers a soft white, leaving the lowers natural. You may grow to like it. If not, then you could paint the lowers but I would change out your flooring first.

• judeslou
    2 years ago

I agree with Red Ryder about the tiled backsplash. We have the same granite as you and when we updated our kitchen we took out the backsplash, which was very similar to yours, and repaired and painted the wall. It looks great and the counters are fabulous. They look altogether different, lighter and more interesting when not competing with tile.

• lynne3450
    2 years ago

Greek Villa is a GORGEOUS color! I love your color combo!

• PRO
    COCo
    2 years ago

Hi

I started and left to look at paint colors

There is a lot going on

A. There is a place online to get a skin to cover the dishwasher stainless etc

B. Buy a microwave to match oven. They do not cost that much

C. The end cabinets with soffit and sink remove

It is a long line and just too many.

D. Over this area put a simple brushed nickel end to the backsplash.

Extend the soffit to the wall.

Remove the table on the right and get a simple square rectangle table with simple chairs

Color. TBD.

The area over sink and dishwasher add art and shelves with canisters for the stuff on counters.

Put toaster in corner

Put wooden board for toast cutting items etc to right of sink

Remove all extra stuff drapes etc

Paint walls: Eggshell Color:

Highly Reflective White Sherwin Williams Paint ceiling same Finish Sheen Cabinets Paint

Farrow and Ball Color Stone

Both tops and bottoms.

Use new pulls brown leather

The soffit underneath paint Navy Blue Farrow and Ball matches stone.

Window white wooden shutters

Remove fixture from ceiling and put ninja site ceiling hugger with light

4 corners led 4" light

Hope this helps

Get navy dishcloths and mittens for oven

Light bright fun

• PRO
    COCo
    2 years ago

Hi
    I do not know the budget and had a feeling you want a simple update.
    1. Clean it up
    2. Lessen the number of cabinets 
    The only location was end 
    3. The backsplash colors are returning 
    4. Navy Chocolate Black 
    These are the "new colors".
    I chose Stone a brown beige 
    The grain from the cabinets does not show. I was not a believer, but have seen and was stunned 
    5. I did not address the floor.
    Rugs.com you can get a large woven floor in a light color with chocolate band and double face tape down 
    Pulling a floor is very dirty work 
    And new tile down can come later.
    The woven carpets are great looking.
    And when they want they can pull floor. Do it.
    What is the budget?
    Stone and Navy as an accent and bright white look great.
    White accordion shades are good.
    I wish you the best

• PRO
    COCo
    2 years ago

PS fan  M I n k a not ninja?

• calidesign
    2 years ago

The two colors you've choosen are beautiful, but they won't work at all with your back splash and countertops. If you're wanting an update, change the back splash to a simple warm white that works with the countertop. Or change the countertop to a creamy/green quartzite with a back splash that reflects the colors you like. If you really hate the cabinets, save for a full remodel.