Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todds5

Rustic dining table and hutch with modern farmhouse kitchen?

todds5
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I just installed a brand new modern farmhouse kitchen, french vanilla cupboardslards, blue Island, brass pulls, brass farmhouse faucet, black sliding doors off kitchen where dining table will go. i have my heart set on a very rustic table, chairs, and hutch eith barn doors on it. also have wood beams as archway and corbels going into living room. dark wood wide plank floors.

Which one??? help please! everyone is saying the amish built one is too rustic. this is my kitchen:

Comments (35)

• modpod
    2 years ago

I wouldn't get a matching set. The black detail hutch is not bad, but don't like the table or chairs. And the second set is a definite no. Keep looking.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

TOO HEAVY! Kills the look f your kitchen

Lighter, simpler, and skip the hutch for a console or buffet and art above.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

I prefer the white and wood tone hutch over the darker one. Not as enthusiastic about the white and wood tone table and chairs. As modpod suggested you should perhaps keep looking. Am sure you can find something more in keeping with your kitchen.

• cawaps
    2 years ago

Not to further muddy the waters (we all seem to disagree on which elements we like), but the white and wood dining table and chairs is my favorite of the things shown (with the caveat that I can't see the table base; but I like what I can see). The white on the hutch reads dull/grayish (I'm sure it's the same white as on the table and chairs but the balance of wood and white is different; the hutch has a large contiguous mass of white that I don't find at all appealing).

I really don't like the wood/black hutch with the sliding doors. It takes rustic to levels that should never appear in a house. It's like fantasy barn rustic. The table and chairs in that set are fine though.

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    2 years ago

Here we have a few tables with chairs that might just work well in your dining room. Please all take a look at the chandeliers, rugs, window treatments, and buffets.

Modern Ranch · More Info

New Build · More Info

Charming Cottage · More Info

Colorful Remodel · More Info

• PRN
    2 years ago

The chairs in the first picture look so uncomfortable! Please make sure your guests can be comfortable enough to enjoy a long, leisurely meal.

• todds5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your comments everyone. I was definitely uncertain about the ‘matchy’ grey/wood 2 tone table and hutch. I can’t seem to find anything!!!

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

I think the problem with the pieces you posted is they are a bit country kitchen. I would either get contemporary modern farmhouse pieces, such as the table Jan posted. Or, I would get actual vintage pieces. I do like the juxtaposition of contemporary and vintage, but it needs to be actual vintage and not just faux like the pieces you posted. Also, I'm not totally sure I would classify your kitchen (which looks beautiful by the way) as modern farmhouse. I would get rid of that label and just think about furniture you are attracted to for the spcae.

• todds5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think I found a table like the one Joy suggested. I have this teal colored credenza, would it clash with the blue island??

• todds5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Behind the chaie

• Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Yes it would, horrible combo! Your kitchen is rather fancy. You need to totally up your game with hutch and table. What you like is way too rustic for that kitchen. And do not mix turquoise with blue!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

What is size of the dining area? Would a round table work better with some interesting chairs? I think a wood pedestal table with 4 chairs in a more transitional style would work great. I'll find some examples. bbl

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I need pictures of seating area, but your kitchen is modern and chic so “rustic” will clash. But you can do some mixing with careful selections. No “sets”. Here is a table that nods to casual chic. And a variety of potential chairs. There are many price points and styles so more info on your space would help a lot.

• todds5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Flo Mangan, here are 2 pics of the dining area. It is not that big and I need it to be functional, not formal. That is my old table from old house, and really wanted a rectangle table. Thank you!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I agree w/Jan. the ones you're considering are too heavy looking and too rustic.

With your kitchen, I'd go w/something like this

something like this could work. The rug will make this spot. do a black/white to match your doors/lights. the natural wood goes w/the flooring. you could do navy chairs or these black

If you want something rustic, then do an actual antique buffet. leave natural or paint it a soft blue

• todds5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow! Thank you so much for the great ideas! I love the idea of natural table with black chairs!

• todds5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love picture number 4!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

You could look for an antique table, or contract a local carpenter or amish to make one just like it for you. look into Bona oil for sealing.

Reclaimed wood Trestle table. (even Etsy has these)

the chairs you can find any where and paint your self.

Here's a pina table w/black spindle chairs.

or, check out Article. I think this is their table w/black chairs

https://www.article.com/product/11398/rus-light-oak-dining-chair

I like this oak table too

Even Wayfair has a bunch of tables

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/grain-wood-furniture-valerie-pine-solid-wood-dining-table-grnw1016.html?piid=15059047

https://www.wayfair.com/keyword.php?keyword=solid+wood+reclaimed+dining+tables

• todds5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Can you find hutches that fast too?;)

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Beth, Flo and Jan are all correct. You need a wood table that is not so rustic as to look like the weird cousin at the holiday party. Your kitchen is LOVELY and deserves a more classic look, not one that is too "country". The wood and black combination Beth shared seems more in line with the look of your new kitchen.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

What do you see here? I see a very clean lined , crisp!!! transitional kitchen.

So........"dance with the girl that brought you" YOU CAN have the function and keep the lovely feel going.

Skip the ornate, rustic, curly,,,,,,and skip the resurrecting of 1940 relics, unless they possess CLEAN lines. Skip chalk paint....: ) distressed.

Ballard below, both

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

You might want to tape off area on floor for rectangular table and see if it will work in your space. Then put chairs around to see if you have enough pushback space typically 24-34”.

• todds5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to show you all what I went with! Thank you for all your help! I love it!

• njmomma
    2 years ago

It looks beautiful and so glad you are happy with your table and chairs.

I personally would have gone with chairs that were not as ornate, but you love it and that all that counts. It's just a little too country feel chair for me, not farmhouse.

• todds5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ahh I get it, but I kind of decided that my kitchen isn’t farmhouse:)
    Also, I love the rounded top on the chair because it kinda to the rounded corbels I have on 2 sets of beams in my open living room and sun room.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

looks good todd. you need a window cushion for your pups !

• todds5
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes I know! And some pillows. Can’t find window cushion the right size. Thinking about making it.

• amykath
    2 years ago

Perfection! You did a great job. Your space is lovely.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Looks great. And yes, Etsy has some great cushion makers! I redid the cushion on a bench in my master bedroom with one who copied the shape perfectly. Your sweet dogs deserve it!

• User
    2 years ago

Modern Farmhouse is a term I don’t understand. I see transitional. 🤷🏻‍♀️ table looks nice, chairs and chandelier are out of place to me

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Wondering if something in black to pick up the black trim and island base would work? I personally like black accents in a room, and if you need/want a hutch or sideboard I think it might look good in black. Hardware can be swapped out too.

I do like the black Windsor chairs as well.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I am glad you are happy. I like the chandy with your space and table. I like the color (black) of the chairs, but I have to be honest, from a design and scale perspective and size of space the chairs aren’t appropriate. The style is in conflict with the more modern lines of the table and other elements and the height of the backs makes the space look squeezed. A lower back black chair would be so much better. If you decide to do a piece on the far wall, keep it open and light. I could see a black console with metal and shelves above. Something like this. Keep buffet lines simple. Could be black rather than wood. Your choice. Keep it to about 48” wide. Not too big.

• E Moss
    last year

todds5 - your table and chairs are very nice!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor